Ubuntu?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu?

Does anyone here run Ubuntu? I was just wondering because I have it on one of my computers and I would like some help using it.
    sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Re: Ubuntu?

I have Ubuntu 9.10 dual-booted on two rigs. (Several others here also use ubuntu as well as other distros.) What do you need help doing?

You can also Google your questions and most of the time, you'd find plenty of forum threads about your question/issue and even good tutorials to go with.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I use 9.04 at work and it's great. The Ubuntu website has plenty of information and you can search the forums for lots of answers. It most likely has an install guide but the process is so simple that it's similar to installing Windows. It will even include options for dual-booting so it's easy to keep your Windows install intact.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I use 9.10 on my daily computer, works great.

Comment

Well I don't have Ubuntu anymore. My dad loaded windows XP back on. But I was having trouble installing games and stuff, but then i found synaptic :)
          sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

Originally posted by Vinman13 View Post
            Well I don't have Ubuntu anymore. My dad loaded windows XP back on. But I was having trouble installing games and stuff, but then i found synaptic :)
            Oh well, that's pretty easy to solve. All you have to do is (in terminal): apt-get install wine

Once you have Wine installed, you can usually install your game using Wine (as it emulates Windows libraries and such) then play. Though, I'd probably look your game up at www.winehq.com database first to see how well it runs before you install it.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i have been using openSUSE 11.2 and i have been licking it alot. i have also karmic on my old acer laptop and runs like butter!!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

If Karmic tastes like butter, what does SUSE taste like?
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I would try out the 9.04 version first. It is less bleeding edge and Ubuntu offers a Long Term Support of it for 3 years. The dot 10 versions tend to be more cutting edge but can cause more headaches to the casual user. YMMV.
                  Imaging a real super kewl 21st signature here

Situational Awareness Deficiency Syndrome
                  It is a serious disease.
                  Please Q-Spot! generously

Yah, I got me medals somewhere around here

Comment

Originally posted by frozenchrome View Post
                    I would try out the 9.04 version first. It is less bleeding edge and Ubuntu offers a Long Term Support of it for 3 years. The dot 10 versions tend to be more cutting edge but can cause more headaches to the casual user. YMMV.
                    You mean 8.04 is LTS. 10.04 LTS is out in about a month as well, so that's something to consider.

Which version you should go for really depends on your hardware. If your hardware is a year or older, installing Ubuntu usually isn't a problem. But if it is, be careful as new hardware support takes a bit longer to get in Ubuntu than windows.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X