Problems With AMD 64 3200+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems With AMD 64 3200+

Hey there, just built a new computer. Had some troubles with it and wanted to know if you could help me. This is my first time buildign a computer, and i dont know whats going wrong.

Just got:
    AMD 64 3200+ Socket 939
    Chaintech S1689 Mobo
    Corsair Value Select PC3200 Dual Channel (2GB Memory Kit) 184-pin DDR400
    500W Intel/AMD ready, Dual Fans(80mm), Dual Heatsinks (Made by MGE)
    Ultra Fire HeatPipe/Dual 80mm Fan
    One CD-Rom 52X
    One Floppy
    Two 40 Gig Maxtor IDE Hardrives (One unpluged for time being)
    SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit
    BFG GeForece FX5500 (Soon to be GeForce 6800)
    D-link Wireless Adapter (802.11G 108Mbps)

My problem is that when i can actualy boot into Windows XP Pro it takes forever to load any kind of program, Internet Explorer/Firefox, And after 2-3 mins of browsing my computer freezes for a few seconds, then later on it locks up completly. Sometimes Xp doesnt even get loaded before it locksup on me.

Can be getting to hot, ive got 6 80mm fans, and one 120mm fan.
    2 80mm on case(One front/One Side), 2 80mm on Heatsink for CPU, 2 80mm in Powersupply, 1 120mm in back of case. Normal Temp in Bios(On chip) = 40*c Temp in case 30/32*c.

So far ive tryed to unplug uneeded things, like extra hhd, sound card, ive tryed to load windows with just floppy/cdrom/video/hhd1/one stick of ram(Both at different intervals); Tryed disabling Cool 'n' Quiet, ?underclocking?... Its at 800Mhz FSB? Im not to sure about all this(Clocking and whant not). Im pretty sure its down to being RAM/CPU/Mobo.

My dad is the main coputer dude around here, but hes away on a trip right now, and ive got a tournament for a game of mine tonight
    Oyee

Re: Problems With AMD 64 3200+

check to make sure the CPU fan and heatsink are connected correctly. I know if that is slightly off it can cause it to overheat. When your machine shuts down, reboot and go to BIOS and look at the temp.

Also remove one memory stick and try it out. If that fails, switch memory sticks. One bad memory stick can cause weird things to happen like freezing and blue screens.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks will do, brb...

Okay, i checked the Fan, it was on correctly, and ive just booted into Windows with one stick of ram.

Okay, so maybe it was just that one stick of ram... thanks ima keep checking into this...
      Last edited by Black_V!per; 06-14-2005, 12:34 PM.
      Oyee

Comment

So with just one stick you booted fine?

If that's the case, try switching sticks and using the same slot. It could be a bad slot or a bad memory stick.
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

Okay, i booted fine with one stick, i had to restart to enable my adapter for the internet, as soon as i did it started to do the same things again... I switched the memory sticks again, to the one that didnt load up, and well thats the one im using right now, im downloading Memtest86 and Memdoc.
          Oyee

Comment

asch wins. Good job, asch.
            [volun2]
            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per
              Can be getting to hot, ive got 6 80mm fans, and one 120mm fan.
              2 80mm on case(One front/One Side), 2 80mm on Heatsink for CPU, 2 80mm in Powersupply, 1 120mm in back of case. Normal Temp in Bios(On chip) = 40*c Temp in case 30/32*c.
              Get Motherboard Monitor to check your temps... What kind of thermal paste did you use?
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Try testing your memory with memtest86. Its very effective at finding bad memory.

http://www.memtest86.com/

You will need to install the program to a floppy and boot the floppy. Let it run trough all the tests a few times.

If you get errors with both sticks in, remove one and test again, then switch and test again. It might be that the RAM is fine, but your motherboard has problems with running both sticks simutaneously. If that is the case, your may consider a replacement mobo, or you could try adjusting the memory timings to eliminate the errors. My memory will run at stock timing fine, but if I bump it up just a little it will get errors like mad.
                Steam Community: | |

Comment

Downloaded MBM, but i dont know if it works with my mother board, havnt tryed it, but i didnt see it on the list. ChainTech S1689... Anywho, im using HeatSink Compounds Stars-612 (5%Silver/10%Copper) paste... Or at least thats what came with my heatsink/CPU fan...
                  Oyee

Comment

that heatsink is freakin' huge!

Comment

Yes, i know it is, thats why i dont think its overheating..

Anywho, i got this it may help, kinda long, but its a benhmark of my PC as is.
                      http://www.savefile.com/files/6554585

Fast yet annoying because of the freezing.
                      Oyee

Comment

Couldnt edit, but i thought id share with you guys what i found out.

My Pc For some reason was freezeing because of my D-Link Wireless 802.11g(108Mpbs) Network Adapter. It wasnt buged...

But if anyone ever goes to but D-Link, make sure something else isnt as good or better for the same price. I have had nothing but problems with that thing. If you remember my old thread about Random BSOD's(Caused by the same adapter in a different PC)

But all in all this new PC is pretty fast, i just wish i coulda kept my 2 gigs of RAM... Oh well, maybe next time...

Sorry for Triple post, just thought some of you might like to know about D-Link...
                        Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per
                          If you remember my old thread about Random BSOD's(Caused by the same adapter in a different PC)
                          I thought I told you to bust that thing with a hammer.... should have taken my advice. :icon_razz

Comment

wow, how did ya get the single post thingy? must be a member thing cause im not seeing it. dlinks are driving my house crazy. more than half of the time it shows up, but wont connect to the internet so i have to reboot and then it works.

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
                              wow, how did ya get the single post thingy? must be a member thing cause im not seeing it. dlinks are driving my house crazy. more than half of the time it shows up, but wont connect to the internet so i have to reboot and then it works.
                              Try clicking the post number on the right side of the post.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X