Pictures of My Upgraded Rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of My Upgraded Rig

So after upgrading the rig yesterday, I took some pictures after piecing everything back together again. (Sorry for the over/underexposure. Hard to get great lighting.)

Edit: It just struck I should make a mention of what I actually replaced:

E8400 -> Q9550
    8800GT -> HD5830
    Added 2 x 2 GB DDR2 800 = 8 GB of RAM
    Samsung 19" -> ASUS 25.5" LCD

^ After putting in the vid card and reorganizing a few cables.

^ Close up of the innards.

^ From just a few moments ago. Thought I'd include a few pics of how the monitor looked like lit up.

^ Washout! Sorry, the problem with taking a picture of a lit monitor in a mildly lit room.

|TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Pictures of My Upgraded Rig

Looks very good. I liked the wiring job. Now get playing :D

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
      Looks very good. I liked the wiring job. Now get playing :D
      Finals, finals, finals. Can't play for the next week. Still have to finish up a model, animate it, and then render it and compose it into a movie. Then I need to get back to some coding and study for another final on Thursday. AFTER that, then I can play. :)

And MW2 looks sweet on the display, as does BC2 (played through the first mission during a break this morning).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

How's the monitor? I have to say my asus is like candy. So sweet.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
          How's the monitor? I have to say my asus is like candy. So sweet.
          Oh beyond my wants right now. I've been longing for a 1920 x 1200 24" display for the better part of 5 years now. And to have a 25.5" display with all the ports I could need is even better. Workflow is great. I can even read two documents side-by-side without any zooming or resizing. Gaming is great. Though, I wish I had some HD videos to watch on here. DVD quality just doesn't cut it enough for such a high-resolution display (pictures look grainy and pixelated due to picture stretching).

Never thought I'd turn to ASUS for a display, but for the price, she's pretty worth it if 1920 x 1200 resolution is important to you. Otherwise, plenty of "HD" panels out there for around $180.

You also have one of these don't you? ;)
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I also upgraded to 9550 recently and you seem to have stock intel fan in there
            i saw your other thread about upgrading the fan

Does it really make that much difference to o/c the CPU ?

I have never done it, and do you need to spend that much on a fan to up the cooling
            I am asking out of interest, i dont necessarily need it as BC2 is running well for me

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
              I also upgraded to 9550 recently and you seem to have stock intel fan in there
              i saw your other thread about upgrading the fan

Does it really make that much difference to o/c the CPU ?

I have never done it, and do you need to spend that much on a fan to up the cooling
              I am asking out of interest, i dont necessarily need it as BC2 is running well for me
              It's not so much for OC. The stock fan can't exhaust enough of the heat generated by all four cores going active on the quad-cores, so I need a better cooler to cool it down. (A good test is rendering something in Maya, you can watch the temps jump up to 71/72 C - highest tdp temp is 71.4 C.) Once it hits 71.4 C, the CPU starts throttling down in speed and over time, you could burn out the chip if it runs that hot.

As for OCing, if I bump it up to 3.0 GHz, I match the performance of a i7 920 in rendering performance (as well as match or exceed it in some other tasks/apps). Though I'll be happy at stock frequency for a while, so no plans to OC in the immediate future.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Oh beyond my wants right now. I've been longing for a 1920 x 1200 24" display for the better part of 5 years now. And to have a 25.5" display with all the ports I could need is even better. Workflow is great. I can even read two documents side-by-side without any zooming or resizing. Gaming is great. Though, I wish I had some HD videos to watch on here. DVD quality just doesn't cut it enough for such a high-resolution display (pictures look grainy and pixelated due to picture stretching).

Never thought I'd turn to ASUS for a display, but for the price, she's pretty worth it if 1920 x 1200 resolution is important to you. Otherwise, plenty of "HD" panels out there for around $180.

You also have one of these don't you? ;)
                Yeah i have a 22" and it's quite awesome. The great thing about this display is the multiple view modes. You can have several modes combined with display profiles of color to change up for whatever preference. I have a gaming mode, a dim reading mode, a movie mode and standard mode. Really a great monitor for any use.

The cpu's today really very overpowered for anything non professionals need. You'll have plenty of power for quite a while.

- -

Comment

Unless you play DCS black shark, damn game is a cpu hog....lol
                  |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
                  I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

Well I just installed the new Arctic cooler into my rig. The installation "manual" was next to worthless. It was completely pictoral, but of the vaguest kind. It took me a whole 10 minutes to figure the thing wanted me to take off the fan clip-on before I installed the cooler and bracket. The expanding pin-locks (sort of like the type you would use with screws or nails in construction) wasn't exactly the easiest to install. One side of the bracket came loose and only then did I figure out that I did not lock those expander pins all the way in. Anyways, 20 minutes and a retry later, I got it on.

Temperatures Before (core temp ranges):
                    Idle - 16 to 22 C
                    Load - 66 to 74 C

Temperatures After:
                    Idle - 4 to 8 C
                    Load - 10 to 18 C

That is a huge gap in temperatures which really raises the question why Intel includes the same half-height sinks for quad-core chips that they include for dual-core chips? Do they realize it's inadequate cooling (at full load) or are they just cutting corners?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Nice setup, how is the gpu? I didnt even know the 5830 existed. I assume the performance is between the 5700 series and the 5850?

Comment

It's a one-off of the HD5850. In some games, the performance is just over the HD5770 while in others, it's smack dab between the two. From what I heard from the AMD spokesperson at Micro Center the other day, the HD5830 is not "official", but AMD's site carries beta drivers for the card.

For me, it's working beautfiully. I don't play using AA or AS much so framerates are fine at 1920 x 1200. However, in more demanding games, once I up AA or AS, that's when fps starts dropping to as low as 40 frames per second.

I can smoothly play BF BC2, COD MW2, COD MW, Freelancer, and a whole slew of other games just fine with the card. Smooth and haven't yet noticed any choppiness.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i should expect freelancer to play smoothly its like 10 years old!! gotta say its an all time fav though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X