Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend Me A Aftermarket Cooler for my Q9550 CPU?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend Me A Aftermarket Cooler for my Q9550 CPU?

Anyone have any good CPU coolers they can recommend me?

As cheap as possible without sacrificing on quality, reliability (both very important), and ease of install (also important). At most I can probably spend is $80. $50 or below is a good soft limit.

The reason I ask is that my CPU went over 71.4 C this morning while I was rendering in Maya. The first core kept hitting 71/72 C. The rest were only a few degrees behind at 68/69 C. I don't want to sacrifice speed because the CPU overheats when all four cores are active, so I might as well fix this now instead of ignoring it.

Recommend away!
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Recommend Me A Aftermarket Cooler for my Q9550 CPU?

I use the Schythe Ninja 2 on my Q9550. I also run it overclocked to 3.4ghz without any temp or stability issues.

Comment

Personally, next time I upgrade I'll probably be getting a Corsair H50 as Jeepo and I talked about in another thread.

But if I wanted to just do a quick upgrade I would probably get this:
      ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - Retail

Reasons:
      It is not expensive, as amazon has it for $34 with free shipping. Link:Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
      It has awesome reviews on newegg, and is the highest rated cooler with 4000+ reviews !!!!!!!!!
      And to top it off, probably the biggest reason is it doesn't need a backplate, which means you don't have to take your whole computer apart to put it in. That is a pretty big deal.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have a similar cooler from them on my Phenom II, I never crack 40C on a 400mhz OC under hours of gaming.
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Can the push-pins hold the Freezer 7 in place? That's what worries me about that behemoth of a cooling tower. The other worry is getting those pins in place as my mobo does have a few heatsinks around the CPU socket.

---

Edit: You know what? All the reviewers don't seem to have a problem with the cooler and as far as I can tell from the dimensions listed, it'll fit in my rig and mesh well with my board. Just pulled the trigger on it (ordered). Amazon says I'll have it by the beginning of next month.

So for now, I should avoid full-throttling all four cores.
          Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 03-15-2010, 04:31 PM.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Amazon usually overestimates their shipping dates. I have been told it would take 2 weeks before and it got to me in 4 days.
            And I take it you already have some high end thermal paste?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I use the Zalman CNPS 9900 LED on my Intel i7. I'm not a big overclocker (I have a VERY moderate one running), but after the stock cooler broke I needed a new one. It mounts very securely (I had to remove the mobo as it uses a backplage), fit very well in my Antec 900, and keeps my i7 very cool.

Comment

NOCTUA - does not get better than that. I got two of these for next to nothing at Microcenter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608001

I am running Q9550 @ 4Ghz with noctua nh-c12p. Me temps do not go above 67 degrees under PRime95 for hours.... The max temp for Q9550 is 71 degress.

I also have this one but it is in my wife's computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608014
                "veritas vos liberabit"

Comment

I would recommend the Corsair H50 Hydro Cooler. It retails for $79.99, but I've found it for $49.00 at times. It's a fantastic entry level liquid cooling system.

I have one of these installed in my system, and it keeps my temps good on my i7-860 almost 3.7GHz.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                    Amazon usually overestimates their shipping dates. I have been told it would take 2 weeks before and it got to me in 4 days.
                    And I take it you already have some high end thermal paste?
                    Yep, still have my stick of AS5 from some 6 years ago. Also have a stick of Antec Reference from a few years back when I needed some paste in a pinch and couldn't find my AS5 (was under the bed). Been using both for all the rigs in the house.

I don't know, I've had a mixed experience. Sometimes they can be dead on about shipping times. Other times, they've been almost a week off.

Oh wow, lots of suggestions. I'll keep the other ones in mind and refer back here when I build my brother's new system later in the year. Probably need a replace the stock cooler on his i7 rig as well if it's as bad at cooling as mines is.

I just wanted to avoid taking out my mobo as it would be a pain trying to squeeze in back in without unmounting two of my fans as my optical drives.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Reapplied some fresh AS5. Although the idle temps are now down by a few degrees, it still overheats once all four cores are active. Looks like no gaming (or any animation work) for me for a while until the new cooler gets here. :(
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I revently upgraded my CPU cooler for my core i7 920 to the Hyper 212 By cool master. MY CPU now usualy runs 33c roughly or less. Its also only 35 bucks though when I got mine it was 29.99.

It puts the heat pipes directly in contact with the CPU rather than put an extra piece of metal that the heat needs to go though.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thesleeper01 View Post
                          I revently upgraded my CPU cooler for my core i7 920 to the Hyper 212 By cool master. MY CPU now usualy runs 33c roughly or less. Its also only 35 bucks though when I got mine it was 29.99.

It puts the heat pipes directly in contact with the CPU rather than put an extra piece of metal that the heat needs to go though.
                          Funny, looks like a repackaged version of the Arctic I ordered, cept without the fancy fan mount. Well I'm just waiting for the package, supposedly sent out yesterday.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                            Personally, next time I upgrade I'll probably be getting a Corsair H50 as Jeepo and I talked about in another thread.

But if I wanted to just do a quick upgrade I would probably get this:
                            ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - Retail

Reasons:
                            It is not expensive, as amazon has it for $34 with free shipping. Link:Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
                            It has awesome reviews on newegg, and is the highest rated cooler with 4000+ reviews !!!!!!!!!
                            And to top it off, probably the biggest reason is it doesn't need a backplate, which means you don't have to take your whole computer apart to put it in. That is a pretty big deal.
                            Based on this post I bought that cooler and it works very, very well.

I have the 6 core AMD and the temps are 30-33 and 42 under load. It is easy to install and so very quite, especially compared to the stock cooler.

Got it from newegg from 29.99 with free shipping.
                            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

The new Corsair H70 cooler will be out next week.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3837/c...elease-the-h70

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X