The National Broadband Plan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The National Broadband Plan

The FCC today submitted it's report to congress on what should be done to bring the US up to speed (pun) with the rest of the world over the next 10 years.

FCC submits National Broadband Plan to Congress: at least 100M US homes with access to 100Mbps download speeds

That is the link to engadget, and I'm sure it will be the first of many to read. I also found this really good article on my NPR Iphone app, and looked it up on their website:

Edit: Gizmodo has their post up:

FCC Submits Ambitious National Broadband Plan: 100Mbps in 100 Million Homes

Will The National Broadband Plan Come Up Short?

The reason I liked it:

To help deliver on that promise, FCC officials commissioned a study from Yochai Benkler at Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet and Society. They wanted to know more about how people in other countries connect to the Internet. Benkler says broadband in other developed countries is generally faster and cheaper than it is in the U.S.

"You're looking at prices in the leading countries that are a third or a fifth of the prices that we're paying — and they're getting better speeds for it. So the differences are not subtle based on what we found," Benkler says.

When it comes to speed and price of Internet connections, Benkler found that American cities trail far behind their counterparts in South Korea, Sweden — even eastern Slovakia. The big reason, Benkler says, is competition. You need lots of different companies competing for your Internet business, hustling to provide better service at a lower cost than their rivals. The way other countries do this is by essentially forcing the big companies to share their wires with the smaller ones. Benkler admits that won't be an easy sell in the U.S.
    I think that sums it up nicely. Pretty much means it's not going to happen.

Some of you will remember when I moved back to North Carolina almost 2 years ago, and the apt. we were supposed to move into only had dial-up available. Lucky for me the previous tenants trashed the place and we ended up living in a different complex that had broadband.

So what do you all think of the report? Do you see anything to get hopeful for? I certainly don't see TimeWarnerCable offering me 100down/50up anytime soon. In fact I'm stuck with 6down and 512up right now, but hell, at least it's not dial-up. :row__522:

Our overseas TG brothers might have to skip this thread, but it might also be a great help if they posted their current speeds and prices.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: The National Broadband Plan

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
    In fact I'm stuck with 6down and 512up right now, but hell, at least it's not dial-up. :row__522:
    Better than my 3.5 down and God knows what up.

Comment

UK, Virgin Fibre Optic.

I use their slowest service, which is 10MBs, costs me £15 per month, unlimited usage, up speed is 512. Up speeds are REAL slow here, no one EVER considers them, apart from me, I would really like fast up speeds.

Virgin currently offer 50MBs services and are about to roll out a 100MBs service this summer, but TBH it is still not fast enough. The UK is in the same boat, we should be getting comparable speeds to places like S Korea. The current government had the great idea of charging everyone with a phone 50p a month to raise the funds to widen the broadband network so rural areas could get it, but what ever, I live in the city now! ;) Also the EU passed a bil or something saying everyone in the EU must have 2MB/s broadband minimum by 2012.

Comment

well the first thing to consider is we are 10x as big as those countries. It's easy for them. Not so much for us but I think it'll get there purely because of the entertainment business stands only to gain from it.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
          UK, Virgin Fibre Optic.

I use their slowest service, which is 10MBs, costs me £15 per month, unlimited usage, up speed is 512. Up speeds are REAL slow here, no one EVER considers them, apart from me, I would really like fast up speeds.
          Have you inquired with them about different plans? Maybe they have another plan with more up speed.

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
          well the first thing to consider is we are 10x as big as those countries. It's easy for them. Not so much for us but I think it'll get there purely because of the entertainment business stands only to gain from it.
          Yeah I was going to say that, but you beat me to it. Also I didn't want to sound like I was standing up for Big Telecom, who certainly don't deserve anyone standing up for them. *shakes fist in air* Although it is nonetheless a valid point.

FWIW, I'm getting 3M down and 768K up here in Florida through Verizon DSL for $42.99 per month. Shucksters. I don't know if it's more because it's a business location or not. I do know that Bright House (Time Warner) is even worse. They were charging me like $79.95 per month for slightly more speed than I am getting from Verizon now. At that time, the same. exact. plan. was about $45 for residential service. What a load of Bee Ess, just because I am in a "business location." That was why I switched to Verizon. Although BH never disconnected their cable, and I am still enjoying their TV service here so they can stuff it. lol

I haven't looked around recently, we have Verizon FIOS fiber optic available now which is pretty fast I hear but then they want to sell you a bundle with phone + TV + internet for like $150 per month or some [email protected] I suppose I should look into what they would charge for data only, that may be a better deal than what I am currently getting. What with building the new computer now, I suppose I should step up the bandwidth as well. :)
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm UK on virgin medias 50mb package

there is my speed test

as someone said upload speeds are awful all across Britain and while download speeds keep getting higher and higher uploads still remain stuck at about 1meg which sucks. perhaps the new lot of fibre to the home connections will sort this out. the problem with the UK and the US is we have this huge backlog of legacy equipment where as places like S Korea went right for the good stuff! damn them and their low ping gaming!

you should see what i get at my university lol. downloads max out the pitiful 100mb ethernet and uploads are roughly arround 65-70MB/s problem is most of the speed test servers cant keep up lol.

Comment

Google and their gigabit connection they're getting ready to test looks promising. If they manage to get it rolling, we could have a solution, seeing as google could probably just buy all of the major internet providers outright. If not, they can just price them out of business. After all, who is going to pay for 20Mbps when they can get 1Gbps for the same price or cheaper (I'll have to look it up, but there were some leaked internal documents that hinted at the fact that the pricing plans for a Google ISP at 1Gbps would be cheaper than exisiting ISP prices at current data rates).

Comment

100 Mbit down? Those guys at the FCC are sure ambitious. I sincerely doubt TimeWarner or anyone else is going to offer fiber connections to 100 million homes for even half of what I pay now (that would be $18.50) much less at $35/$40 a month.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Most urban areas have enough dark fiber to offer much high speeds without needing to upgrade the infrastructure. The only thing they have to do is get it to the home. They don't do that because they don't have to do it. There is no competition so why spend money when you can get $50/month for slow speeds? Competition won't get it to the home because they can't access the main infrastructure.

And I don't think the media companies care about getting their stuff out there in the foreseeable future. They are too focused on maintaining their DVD sales. They don't embrace, and seem to be fighting, the streaming and other digital delivery methods.

Americas laws have allowed a virtual monopoly to exist in this area. The laws have to change to fix this.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                    Most urban areas have enough dark fiber to offer much high speeds without needing to upgrade the infrastructure. The only thing they have to do is get it to the home. They don't do that because they don't have to do it. There is no competition so why spend money when you can get $50/month for slow speeds? Competition won't get it to the home because they can't access the main infrastructure.

And I don't think the media companies care about getting their stuff out there in the foreseeable future. They are too focused on maintaining their DVD sales. They don't embrace, and seem to be fighting, the streaming and other digital delivery methods.

Americas laws have allowed a virtual monopoly to exist in this area. The laws have to change to fix this.
                    You can get pretty much any tv related media online now in several facets. They can't do anything about it so they have no choice. The FCC has been given the budget to do this. We'll see it and from what i can see more and more services have been offered online because media companies either get onboard or lose out.

- -

Comment

You can get pretty much any tv related media online now in several facets. They can't do anything about it so they have no choice. The FCC has been given the budget to do this. We'll see it and from what i can see more and more services have been offered online because media companies either get onboard or lose out.
                      So you are saying that the media companies are going to create new ISPs and give me truly high speed broadband at lower rates?

Or are you saying that media companies are going to force the current ISPs to spend extra money to get users higher speeds at lower rates?

Possibly the media companies pay the ISPs so that they will lower rates while increasing bandwidth?

What exactly are the media companies going to do to cause the ISP to lower their rates while increasing the bandwidth?

Even the limited competition between cable and dsl isn't real competition. The providers know switching is a huge hassle. New modems, usually a service call where somebody has to be home. Etc. So each player doesn't really compete with the other one.

Just imagine if at the end of a month you could just look for the best price for the bandwidth you needed and just switch. No calls no nothing, just switch your ISP and get a better price with more bandwidth. Or better service or whatever you needed. That should be the goal.

*Edit.

The only thing I see media companies doing is increasing demand. If they do start allowing digital delivery people will want more bandwidth. If the supply remains the same and demand goes up how are prices going to go down? They may incrementally increase bandwidth but without competition why wouldn't they just increase the price?
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

A podcast (Diane Rehms show) about the issue. Sounds like the Fed is looking to wireless delivery to increase competition.

Comment

I was about to mention wireless as well. That is how they want to spread it in rural areas, and they are testing it in a tiny town in Virgina and Wilmington, NC (where I went to college) is doing a city wide test as well.

I actually pretty excited about the 4g stuff coming from like Sprint and Verizon. They will offer the download speeds to make it worth using, and gets around the cable companies monopolizing the wires into your home. That will actually give the cable companies some competition, and might affect prices some.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The second thing to consider is population density is roughly the same so it should cost about the same to offer the same service per person.

I have uverse which is basically fiber to the alley behind my house, yet I am given a range of packages from 3GB down to 18GB down with 1 GB up and all the packages to use the exact same physical connection with the same router. Once the fiber is there the only possible cost is the routing and I'm thinking that is pretty much free money for them.
                            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Just checked mine:

:icon_frow
                              |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X