Win7 Explorer Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win7 Explorer Issues

Ok, I have having tons of issues moving files around on my computer with Win7. It is not consistent in when it happens, but there are times when I go to move a file from one folder to another it locks up and causes Explorer to crash. On top of that, there are other times when I try and delete a file or folder and is will do the same thing.

I looked around for a fix, but all I have seen is the issue posted. Anyone find a quick fix?
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Win7 Explorer Issues

Hmm, sounds like your hard drive might be on its last legs (unless it's a fairly new drive)

Can you disable/turn off any programs running in the background? Sometimes a background process could be interfering with explorer.exe and causing the crashes. Could you do a DiskChk as well? (Just to help rule out possible hard drive failure on the horizon.)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have 4, all of them are newer. 3 of them are VelociRaptors and the last one is a WD Green 2TB. Never had issues until migrating to Win7 recently. DiskChk comes up clean...
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I don't know, the only thing I can say try moving files in smaller chunks. Usually I have a explorer crash if I'm moving a large file or large archives/images. Other times it's because a file's corrupt.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I haven't heard of this being an issue on Win 7 at all. I've had zero issues since it's release, not even one freeze on my crusty old laptop. I'd suggest that the culprit could be either your hd, or perhaps the hd controller on the mobo. Maybe even a caching issue. Bad ram? Either way, I'd suspect it's hardware related in one way or another. But, that's just my amateur opinion.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Not that I've had to mess it with yet on Win 7, but perhaps you can up your vram like we sometimes have needed to in XP. Is this possible with Win 7?
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
              Not that I've had to mess it with yet on Win 7, but perhaps you can up your vram like we sometimes have needed to in XP. Is this possible with Win 7?
              Yep. And like Vista, you can set where that paging file resides (as in on which physical drive/partition). Maybe instead of setting a larger page file, try disabling page file (requires a machine reboot) and see if that solves your problem BigC.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have a similar issue, both drives are good, and it only happens when I delete things.

Comment

Hmm, going to research this a bit more on Friday. So far I haven't experienced this in Windows 7 (at least not like you guys not knowing/suspecting the cause).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Let me detail it a bit more...

Say I download a file. I can copy it to another folder or any other hard drive with no issues. With about 95% of the files I can cut and paste them anywhere and it works just fine.

Only the move or cut function dorks up my Explorer, occasionally. There are times I will simply copy and past, then try and delete the original but it tanks. It really sucks when I am moving files in bulk and one of them does not play nice, it causes the whole move/delete to stop.

My only two solutions is to either "hard delete" with Evidence-Eliminator software program (even that gets hung on a couple) or reboot the machine. After I reboot I have had no issues deleting or moving any files that were on the machine.

I tried some of the tips, page file is no help, but it was worth a try.

Comment

Hmm, well that sounds normal and on-par with my experience in any OS. We'll see what I can turn up tomorrow. Right now need to get back to prepping for a final.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X