I5-750 vs. I7-860 or keep 4 cores unlock Phenom II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I5-750 vs. I7-860 or keep 4 cores unlock Phenom II

Okay folks, I purchased this board at newegg for $70 with the idea that either the I5-750 or the I7-860 would be cooler in this case and should be significantly faster than the Phenom II X550 with all four cores unlocked which I currently have.

So question one is, should I even bother buying either of the Intel CPU's or is it just a waste of money?

Current board and CPU = $170 total

I5-750 board and CPU = $270 total

I7-860 board and CPU = $300 total

This gives me around $100 to spend on a better cooler for the Phenom.

If you think I should buy one of the Intels, which one?

The i7 has hyperthreading which will future proof it with essentially 8 cores of processing power, but the i5 performs just as well if not better in most reviews I have seen.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Re: I5-750 vs. I7-860 or keep 4 cores unlock Phenom II

If you have a AM2+ board, check your manufacturer to see if you can get one of new Phenom II X4 955 BE chips. That would be better than spending $270/$300 on a new i5/i7 chip in addition to another $100 on new DDR3 tri-channel RAM. I'm wagering a similar situation now with my brother. The price tag on the i7 chips aren't really worth it in my opinion when you can get a Phenom II X4 955 BE for $160 and get 80%-90% of the performance of a i5-750.

I don't see the HT giving it "futureproofing" as the hardware is still 4 cores, not 8. You're still going to suffer some performance degradation versus a actual 8-core chip.

However, if you feel you need a i5/i7 chip for that new board, then either the 750 or the 860 is a good choice. Their performance difference matches their price difference. The 860 is pretty much neck-to-neck with the performance of a i7-920. Just be ready to get new RAM (DDR3) if you go that route and am currently using DDR2 RAM.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I agree, go with the Phenom II X4, the price vs. performance is top notch.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I did not explain myself well enough. I currently have a Phenom II X2 550 with all 4 cores unlocked so it is essentially a Phenom II X4 950. I have an AM3 board that runs DDR3 right now so that is not an issue. So I am guessing that you guys would say that spending the extra money would NOT be worth it based on your comments above.

Comment

You can be the judge of that
          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

If you have a decent GPU, then save the $100. As Reaper's link shows, there's not a big difference.

Plus, the AM3 socket will be compatible with AMD's 6-core Processor due for release this Spring. If the benches and prices are right you could drop it in your AM3 board and be part of the future...:icon12:

Even if the 6-core turns out to be a dud performance/price wise, then you could always get an Intel i5/i7 combo - the price on that micro-H55 board is nothing special.

And you don't need a $100 cpu cooler. Depending on your case width and your space requirements, either one of these Coolers will keep it very cool.

Just my 2 Cents, -Zip

:icon_frow
            |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
            sigpic

Comment

That Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 (Rev. 2) is only $40 at most places and it cools like a beast! That is if you're looking for a new cooler. ;)
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The Freezer 7 doesn't fit AMD CPUs. The Freezer 64 pro does (same design) but to be honest, I put one on my Stepdad's computer and I wasn't impressed. Mind you, it does almost as well as my cousin's $70 Zalman but it is 8 degrees warmer at idle (and more at load) than my Xigmatek HDT-1283 on the same CPU.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                  The Freezer 7 doesn't fit AMD CPUs. The Freezer 64 pro does (same design) but to be honest, I put one on my Stepdad's computer and I wasn't impressed. Mind you, it does almost as well as my cousin's $70 Zalman but it is 8 degrees warmer at idle (and more at load) than my Xigmatek HDT-1283 on the same CPU.
                  Well, as far as I know it does since it states it fits AMD sockets and includes metal retention brackets and screws for AMD boards.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I personally would prefer the 9550 quad core, costs 280 and has decent speed. There are probably better ones for the money but I like because not only do I trust intel but it is also 775 compatable

Comment

Except you can get a i5 750 for $200 for way better performance...
                      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        Well, as far as I know it does since it states it fits AMD sockets and includes metal retention brackets and screws for AMD boards.
                        Well, you're right and I'm wrong. They came out with a new revision that dopes support AMD. My bad. I still thik one of the 120MM Xigmatek towers would cool better for les money.
                        sigpic

Comment

I found theArctic Cooling Freezer 7 here for under $30 after shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by gator skywalker View Post
                            I found theArctic Cooling Freezer 7 here for under $30 after shipping.
                            Wow, nice find Gator! Yeah for under $30 after shipping, I'd go for the Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2. The Xigmatek would cost more and only offer you 2 or so C cooler, so not much of a difference.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                              Except you can get a i5 750 for $200 for way better performance...
                              I like the i7 9550 cuz its faster. I'm all about speed =)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X