No announcement yet.

Installing Windows 7 on my SSD

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Windows 7 on my SSD

I just installed my 60GB Agility, and now I'm about ready to install Windows 7 and get back to gaming. I've had the thing for 2 months and I've been so busy with school that I haven't really had time to figure out how I want to do it.

I have spent quite a bit of time looking around to find the best installation method and I think I've found a few that might be worth trying.

With the drive only being 60GB, I'd like to have W7 and ArmA 2, and a few other programs I use like AutoCAD and Revit on the SSD. I'm using about 55GB right now with most of the things I want installed along with W7 Pro, no media files. For storage I'll be using the 640GB WD Black that's currently housing all of this.

One article was on Maximum PC's site. They created a new user account and made some registry edits to move all the user data to a different drive. This sounds like what I want to do, but I'd like to avoid the registry edits if possible.

I spent some more time looking around and found another article that uses symlinks to accomplish storing user data on a different drive, no registry edits.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done anything like this and how it worked, or if there are some other methods that might be worth trying.

Re: Installing Windows 7 on my SSD

So you just want to move certain parts of your current install and leave the rest on the WD drive?
    Also check out:
    And decide if you need to enable AHCI

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Sorry for being a newb, but what's the deal with AHCI?

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Here is another way that you can move game content and full programs to a secondary drive. Everything will act like it is on your C: drive, but the content and data will be on another. This method works for Steam games or any CD/DVD installed program. I tested at full DVD install of 2142 and it works the same. Most folders/programs will work like this. I have a 60 Agility with Win 7 also that only has 30 G used, but I have 40G of games on a secondary drive.

Originally posted by jb4
        After many syntax errors due to conflicting information on the "how to" guides I have successfully done the mklink command to move Steam games onto different drives. I have Steam on my main C: drive.

I created a folder on the root of my secondary drive called "SteamGames" (name the folder whatever you want...does not matter) Now I have E:\SteamGames
        Now you drill down to your game folders in Steam to choose the game you want to move. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\your game folders here

Choose the game folder you want to move and cut/paste the entire folder into your new "SteamGame" folder. I moved OFPDR2 so now I have E:\SteamGames\operation flashpoint dragon rising (everything moves over and nothing is left in your primary Steam app.

Start your command prompt and "run as administrator'
        Type the syntax like this: mklink/d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\operation flashpoint dragon rising" "E:\SteamGames\operation flashpoint dragon rising"

You are using the location of where it was in quotes and telling your computer where it went in quotes. The quotes apparently account for the spaces in the command lines. If you did it correctly, you will see a message that a directory link has been created. If not...syntax error.

I tested it by starting my games on my main Steam page just like always. I have 2 games on my C: drive and now 2 on my E: that all work. Now I can load all of the new games I got on the sale without taking up space on the SSD. Here is a picture of what you will see.

Here is a post in the Steam forums, but it was the /d command that made it work for me. I could not get /j to work like in the post below.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed