Help with digital cable, firewire and windows vista 64 bit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with digital cable, firewire and windows vista 64 bit

So I am trying to get my Scientific Atlanta 4250HDC cable box with a IEEE 1394 out to connect to my computer running vista 64 bit, so that I may watch TV through my computer. Cox tech support has been no help, when I try to install the device I get a prompt to insert the CD that came with my cable box, of course cox says they do not have any installation cd's or drivers available, any drivers that i have found online dont seem to work. Anybody out there that could be of any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I am not interested in recording anything persey, I just want to be able to watch over my monitor.

Re: Help with digital cable, firewire and windows vista 64 bit

If you just want to view TV, then bypass your computer and run the signal as a secondary source to your monitor. Do you have multiple inputs as an option? What type of inputs does your monitor have? I can choose between different inputs on my Samsung where I can toggle between my CPU video or a TV source. Even if you do not have a TV tuner you may be able to just connect your box to a secondary input (HDMI or RCA-to-Analog, etc)

Comment

I've tried to do that before, and everything I found said that they have the firewire disabled so you can't do what you are talking about doing.
      I have read articles that said some new law was passed that required them to have the firewire working, but most companies still don't, and you have to raise a big stink about it with your cable provider to get a box that has it enabled. One article said they had to talk to CS rep after rep till they found someone with half a clue, and then they were able to get a working firewire box.

The best way to do what you want to just to get a PCI or USB tv tuner. That would let you do everything your cable box does without messing with the box. We have had some threads about it here in the forum before.

Right now every forum I read is talking about this :

Ceton's quad CableCARD tuner for Media Center available for pre-order
      Supposed to be awesome, but I'm not paying $400.
      The just in the last couple of months started allowing tuner cards to use Cablecards, and that is the first of what everyone hopes is many more to choose from.

By the way, this was on slickdeals this morning:
      Newegg DIAMOND ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Tuner $37.99 W/ Free Remote
      Make sure you read all the reviews though so you know what to expect.
      Decent because it has a hardware encoder, while most, especially cheap ones run through software.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The story is that I want to be able to watch TV through my monitor while I am doing other work on the computer,
        Ive got a 42 inch Sony and yes I allready can watch TV through it, but not at the same time as I am working on the compter.

I cant even tell if the firewire is enabled because I cant get my Computer to successfully install the new hardware, I am taking this one step at time, first get my system to recognize the input from the box.

If I dont get any good answers here before I figure it out ill post back for anyone that has this issue in the future.

Bamboo, Ill be talking to you about any good deals you see on tuners, Im not sure if I have a free PCI slot, have to take a look

**** edit, I actually have a hauppage

WinTV-PVR-150
        NTSC/NTSC-J
        26552 LF
        rev F0A3

lying about from my old system..
        Ill see if that works.
        Last edited by llPANCHOll; 03-21-2010, 08:47 PM.

Comment

So if I go with a Card, what if I dont have Vista Media Center?? Will I still be able to get this to work??

Comment

You silly wabbit, every vista has media center.
            And it is actually pretty good and there are some good addons for it.
            It's even better in Windows7

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X