Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop! Pop! Pop!....and then the smell of smoke...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop! Pop! Pop!....and then the smell of smoke...

Had been playing BC2 since release. Didn't appear to have any issues. Then tonight I was playing for about 5-6 minutes when all of a sudden I hear a bunch of firecracker like "pops", and then the entire rig goes dark instantly. No warning whatsoever. Then I smell smoke.

The aftermath...
    No response at all from the power button. Opened up the case and didn't see anything apparent. The smoke smell seems to be coming from the power supply.

So...now what? What should be my first steps toward attempting a recovery? Simply go get a new power supply and try it out?

My rig...
    ASUS P6T DELUXE V2 LGA1366 Intel X58 ATX motherboard 3xPCI-E(x16)/1xPCI-E(x1)/2xPCI/6xDDR3/SATA2 Raid/dual Lan(gb)

CORE i7 920 - 2.66G

CORSAIR 6GB KIT TR3X6G1600C8D

EVGA geforce gtx 295 1792mb ddr3 pci-e 2.0 x16 sli suported video card

My power supply was one build behind what I have above. I had a PowerTek 750W F5-Series with my previous build and just kept it for this one.

Snarlin

Re: Pop! Pop! Pop!....and then the smell of smoke...

Hopefully it is just your power supply and there was no surge in power to other components when it died.

Judging by the comments on new egg the power supply has a habit of failing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817713002

It is always wise to invest in a good quality high capacity power supply.

I would take out the ram, cpu and GPU and check the connectors, pins for anything that might look burnt, try putting in a new psu and see if that works, might save you a few dollars if you can borrow one off someone just to make sure everything is working before you purchase a new PSU.

Comment

I was looking at powersupplys earlier today for another TG guy doing a build, and noticed Newegg has the Corsair on special.
      This one is the newer version of mine, and a bunch of other TG guys have the 620 version.
      CORSAIR CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Caffine had his corsair PSU start acting up, and he RMAed it and they sent him the newer model linked above.
      That is a really good price, even without the rebate.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well...the sound and the smell scared the heck out of me, but it looks like things might be ok. Checked the connectors and pins and all looked ok. Connected everything up to the new PSU. Installed one more fan. And huzzah...it runs!

Thanks, guys.

Snarlin

Comment

Phew! :)

Comment

Haha when your computer explodes, you KNOW the game is awesome!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X