Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connection Woes. Help Mucho Appreciated.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection Woes. Help Mucho Appreciated.

Gentlemen, I have a connection problem.
    Heres the situation: in about the last 24-36 hours, my wireless network in my apartment has gone to crap. No idea why. Nothing has changed, nothing has been added or removed. I have three computers running on the network:
    Desktop: Wired in. Running Win 7 x64.
    Laptop: Wireless. Broadcom 4321AG a/b/g/draft-n adapter. Running Win 7 x64. Drivers current.
    Laptop: Wireless. Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN adapter. Running Win 7 x64. Drivers current.

Now, as of two days ago, everything was fine. No windows updates have been installed on any machine. No programs have been added or removed from any machine. But both of the wireless machines are getting 0 speed. Connection strength is excellent, but heres how the speed looks from speedtest.net:
    Laptop 1:
    Laptop 2:
    Desktop:

So you can see the difference...obviously. I have tried this on two separate routers with similar results on each. When I wire either of the laptops into the router, I see the same speeds as the desktop is seeing, but when connected wirelessly, the speed drops to nil. Any clues any of you might have as to what I can do to fix this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Note: the laptops cannot be wired into the router all the time. They are work laptops for myself and my brother that stay in separate rooms from the router and cablemodem. So please dont toss that out as a suggestion. I'm not that slow to realize that it is the obvious fix. I'm looking for a solution to the wireless problem itself.

Re: Connection Woes. Help Mucho Appreciated.

Could it be that someone in the area is using your wireless connection, try resetting your wireless security settings.

Comment

Negative. Password for the network is 16 random numbers and letters (caps and uncaps) and changed weekly. I also have a mac address filter on that will not allow any mac addresses other than the three computers and my cell phone to access the network. The mac address table only shows three computers connected anyway, as does my dhcp client table.

Comment

First identify which leg of the connection is an issue. Since it seems to be the wireless, test the speed from the wired device to the wireless device. Copy a file to/from wireless laptop to wired desktop and time it. Eliminate the Internet as a variable.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Oh, I already know the internet isnt a variable. The speedtest results alone told me that. File transfer results from both laptops are roughly the same (within a few seconds), so it's not either one of the computers causing the problem per se. I also tried running the speed tests with each of the computers turned off and it yielded similar results, so it's not any particular machine leeching bandwidth or anything. Still havent solved it though.

Comment

Try changing the wireless channel, interference really killed my connection. Changing the channel boosted my connection by several MB/s.

The fact that the connection suddenly dropped suggests that maybe someone got a cordless phone or something that is blocking the signal.

Comment

Yeah, what paint said. See if anyone in your apartment complex recently got a new microwave, or set up a network.

Most wireless routers default to the lowest channel, 1, and can go up to 11. If someone else recently got a wireless network setup, try changing yours to 11, or somewhere in the middle.

Comment

Already tried that as well. Tried on all 11 channels, on both 20mhz and 40mhz, on b only, g only, bg mixed, n only, bgn mixed. Ran tests after each. No perceptible difference. Even tried fiddling with the RTS threshold in case I was getting collisions.

Comment

What is interesting about your speed tests, is that your upload speeds are the same/better on your laptops.
                  Do or do not, there is no try....
                  -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...