X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA unleashes GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470 'tessellation monsters'

After seemly waiting forever, it has finally happened:

NVIDIA unleashes GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470 'tessellation monsters'

Engadget has a post up with some tech demo videos, as well as links to reviews. I'm sure more reviews will be posted at that link once they are found.
    I'm about to start reading the reviews now, and will post back after I absorb as much info as I can before Domino's Pizza arrives.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: NVIDIA unleashes GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470 'tessellation monsters'

Detailed review atguru3d.com - 35 pages :icon_eek:! Got to step out, so let me know what you think after the pizza arrives Bamboo :icon16:.

Also, the mwave.com link I posted earlier has been removed, but EVGA has the GTX 480 and 470 listed with specs, currently only available for Pre-order. Sources say the 480 won't be available for 12-16 days.

:icon_frow
    |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
    sigpic

Comment

Those that know me know how much I love pizza. I eat it almost everyday. So I was pretty happy to be ordering pizza and was in a good mood.

Then I read the reviews of the new cards, an now I'm not in a good mood.

Read the reviews and you will see why. It is hardly any faster than the 5870, and equals or is beat by it in some games. It costs almost $125-150 more (when you find a 5870 on sale). And it runs hotter than if the card was sitting in the nether regions of Hell itself.

Anandtech:

And hothardware has this in the final words:
      The only thing that "blew us away" was the heat coming out of the video card and the sound of the fan.
      They even have a video of it in action so you can see for yourself. Watch the 2nd video down at this link : Power, Temp & Sound

What on earth is Nvidia thinking???????????? Do they think we want a vacuum cleaner running the entire time we are playing?

You can read the rest of the reviews, but they all say the same.
      For me, I'm going right now to start comparing 5870 options. Something like this is looking pretty good right now:
      MSI announces its Twin Frozr II HD 5870/5850
      And they say the new ones that are about to hit with 2gig of v-memory should be even better than current cards.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        They even have a video of it in action so you can see for yourself. Watch the 2nd video down at this link : Power, Temp & Sound

What on earth is Nvidia thinking???????????? Do they think we want a vacuum cleaner running the entire time we are playing?
        wow that is noisy, 2 mins into the video its quite unbelievable !!!

Comment

Good god! 22 extra frames for what? More power consumption, more noise, a even larger card, and several hundred more than my HD5830?! Here I was rather hoping it was a leap ahead...it's not even a hop forward.

OMG...I can't stand that sound of that fan. Sounds like the old rig in my back room. It's like a supersonic jet taking off! 95 C too.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I posted this in the ARMA2 forum, but might as well post it here too:

I know a bunch of people have been waiting to see what the new Nvidia cards were going to be able to offer, and I've been keeping an eye out for a review with ARMA2 benchmarks. This is the first one I have found:

Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Benchmark Armed Assault 2 (DX9)

I wish he had done some commenting on the testing, like if he saw anything odd, but I just don't see enough advantage to choose it over a 5870.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

480 watts for a single card is ridiculous.

Comment

I was waiting for BLASTOFF! somewhere in that video you reference Bamboo, that is one loud card.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
                  480 watts for a single card is ridiculous.
                  that is insane, i'm surprised the solder holding the chips in place doesn't just melt away hahahah :p
                  |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

So... you need a 1000 Watt power supply just to power two in SLI alone. Let alone the CPU, Mobo, HD, etc.

Wow.

Comment

thats system load. Not card alone. TDP is in the 300W or less range

Comment

Wow running that is like running a small window AC unit.

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
                          thats system load. Not card alone. TDP is in the 300W or less range
                          Ok. That makes better sense.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                            Wow running that is like running a small window AC unit.
                            Except the small window unit is blowing out very hot air. My office heats up enough when I game just using my 8800 and trying to keep the card's temps in the 70s, and I can't imagine a card in the 90s blowing out heat.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Just finished up reading a TON more reviews from tech sites, and it is kind of interesting how different some of the numbers are, but all pretty much come to the same conclusion.

Here are some links just in case you want to look through:
                              A peek at NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 in SLI - just how fast is it?
                              Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 Review: Fermi Arrives
                              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Fermi
                              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Video Card Review
                              GTX 480 Launch Review
                              GeForce GTX 480 and 470 graphics cards
                              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480: GF100 Has Landed
                              Nvidia GTX-480 (Fermi, GF100)
                              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Video Card Review
                              The GeForce GTX 470 and 480 tested
                              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470 Review - GF100 and Fermi tackle gaming

470 Reviews
                              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 Video Card Tested
                              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 Review

So, now that those are out of the way, the ones I really found most useful are below, as well as why I liked them.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 Series - What you need to know - From Tweaktown, and it is less of a benchmark review and more of a details about the card you need to know.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Review I liked the Hardware Canucks article because of the look at Image Quality Improvements (link), which LpBronco and I have been talking about. Even after looking at that, and some of the reviews above that had screenshots comparing 32x and 16x AA, I just don't see it worth it for the added cost, heat, and power usage.

Finally, the review that cinched it for me:
                              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 GF100 DX11 Video Card Review - Legit Reviews has a normal review except for the page that looked at Dual LCD Display Testing (link). I know a lot of us here run dual setups, and those that aren't running it now should be considering how easy it is to do and how much of a difference it will make in your computer usage and enjoyment. But what they found out is horrible!!!!!!

After a little more a little more investigation I discovered that the GeForce GTX 480 video card was sitting at 90C in an idle state since I had two monitors installed on my system. I talked with some of the NVIDIA engineers about this 'issue' I was having and found that it wasn't really an issue per say as they do it to prevent screen flickering. This is what NVIDIA said in response to our questions:

"We are currently keeping memory clock high to avoid some screen flicker when changing power states, so for now we are running higher idle power in dual-screen setups. Not sure when/if this will be changed. Also note we're trading off temps for acoustic quality at idle. We could ratchet down the temp, but need to turn up the fan to do so. Our fan control is set to not start increasing fan until we're up near the 80's, so the higher temp is actually by design to keep the acoustics lower." - NVIDIA PR

Regardless what the reasons are behind this, running a two monitor setup will cause your system to literally bake.
                              :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad:

And even better, the reviewer went ahead and looked at how the 5870 did with a dual monitor setup:
                              If you are looking to run a pair of monitors 24/7 on your PC the difference between the Radeon HD 5870 and the GeForce GTX 480 is night and day. The Radeon HD 5870 will run nearly 40% cooler and use 75 Watts less power doing so. AMD is the clear winner on this battle
                              Nuff said.............................................. .................................................. .

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X