Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knitting for Knerds

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTknowitall.php

Yep, this bag knows everything. It knows your row number, the chart for your stitch pattern, and where you are in that stitch pattern. Unlike the other know-it-alls in your life, it will gladly share information with you by displaying your row number and a chart for the current row of your stitch pattern in lights! (Though of course there are limitations; you can generate a custom chart for the bag, but only for stitch patterns up to 10 stitches wide that use k, p, k2tog, ssk and sk2p).

The bag is part of a growing project category called “computational textiles.” Computational textiles is a scary phrase often applied to projects that are complicated, difficult and fun but don’t do much. Still, I found myself obsessed with the idea of mixing knitting and technology after making an origami crane with light-up eyes at a computational textiles workshop at Indiana University.
    http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/imag...tallBEAUTY.jpg

Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Knitting for Knerds

That's great! :)

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
    --BlackMirror
    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
    --Blackraven93

Comment

hahah that's great
      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I found that here:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php

Check out the video there of similar electronics used to control a model railroad.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Uh, yeah, that whole video went over my head. Is there a one-line short summary of the point of the bag in English?
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Probably not one line, but I'll try. When you knit, you compose repeating 2D patterns as X lines composed of Y stitches, and each of the Y stitches can be a different kind. The bag shows you one line of the pattern in its lights, and allows you to step from line to line in the pattern. It's just a 2D chart that keeps track of which line you're on in the pattern.

If you stretch your browser wide enough, the previous paragraph might fit on one line. :p

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              Probably not one line, but I'll try. When you knit, you compose repeating 2D patterns as X lines composed of Y stitches, and each of the Y stitches can be a different kind. The bag shows you one line of the pattern in its lights, and allows you to step from line to line in the pattern. It's just a 2D chart that keeps track of which line you're on in the pattern.

If you stretch your browser wide enough, the previous paragraph might fit on one line. :p
              Ah. And how exactly does it know where I'm sticthing? Is it because of the conductive thread? Or is there some special property that allows it to track regular yarn and cotton/polyester?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The bag is just cute packaging. This could as easily have been done as an iPhone or Android app. It's just a chart. You press a button sewn onto the bag to select your next line in the chart to display on the row of LEDs. The pattern being displayed has nothing to do with the construction of the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                  The bag is just cute packaging. This could as easily have been done as an iPhone or Android app. It's just a chart. You press a button sewn onto the bag to select your next line in the chart to display on the row of LEDs. The pattern being displayed has nothing to do with the construction of the bag.
                  Oh! Well, doesn't pay for me to jump to conclusions here (and why a short attention span = bad). I was thinking each press of the button rescanned the bag somehow to locate the last place you had stitched on it. Maybe if the video's presenter explained it a bit more plainly, I might have caught on.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X