Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more Linux on PS3

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...ystation-3.ars

This is how the newest firmware update is described on the official PlayStation blog: "The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the 'Install Other OS' feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009," a Sony rep wrote. "This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

"In addition, disabling the 'Other OS' feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system."

It's pointed out that this update is strictly voluntary, although if you don't download the new firmware you won't be able to connect to the PlayStation Network, play any games online, play any games or Blu-ray movies that "require" the new firmware, play any files kept on a media server, or download any future updates. To put it simply, if you don't grab the update, the system will become useless to you as a gaming or media machine.
    So wth is this "security concern" they're worried about? Seems fishy to me.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: No more Linux on PS3

That sounds like Sony. The minute someone finds a nice way to mod one of their systems, they try and take away that included feature. Wouldn't surprise me if they even start charging for that particular option to be enabled for certain paying subscribers.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

April 1 only comes once a year, but more people fall victim every year!

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
        April 1 only comes once a year, but more people fall victim every year!
        This doesn't sound like an April Fool's joke unfortunately, since they did not include the ability to install Linux on their slim version of the PS3.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Hmmm, I know a lot of research labs have purchased PS3s with the intention of using them as cheap computers to crunch numbers. I think I read somewhere that the US Air Force had purchased something like 2,500 of them for one of their laboratories? This could get ugly.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

they dont exactly need to update to play the latest games though. :) or at least. we should hope not.

Comment

Can you rollback to a older firmware on the PS3s? Or is it locked once you update to a newer version?

Honestly, if you're going to build a bunch of small PCs for number crunching, you could build one yourself for less than a PS3 costs.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Honestly, if you're going to build a bunch of small PCs for number crunching, you could build one yourself for less than a PS3 costs.
                1. Building thousands of computers is not practical.

2. I doubt you can build a more powerful computer for less than the cost of a PS3.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Bummer. I've been thinking about buying a new console and I was leaning heavily towards the PS3 with the intention of using it as a basic HTPC for the bedroom. Back to the drawing board!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    1. Building thousands of computers is not practical.

2. I doubt you can build a more powerful computer for less than the cost of a PS3.
                    Well, #1 is true. I don't know about #2 since we don't have any good comparison data for the PS3's cell microprocessor versus today's current generation of desktop processors. For $400 as far as I can put together on NewEgg, I could throw in a speedy AMD quad-core, a few gigs of RAM, and a basic HDD and mobo (no dedicated graphics), and a cheapy with a good PSU. Then just throw on Linux and you're set.'

Hardware-wise we're comparing:
                    desktop quad-core: 4 general purpose cores
                    ps3 cell processor: 1 general purpose core + 6? special purpose "mini" cores (perhaps limited is a better word)

Until we run some good real-world number crunching test on both chips side-by-side, we don't have any good comparison to say if the PS3 chip would be faster than a desktop CPU nowadays or vice versa.

Otherwise, the rest of the PS3 specs are underwhelming:

256 MB of RAM
                    256 MB of VRAM
                    80 GB HDD? ($400 model?)
                    WiFi B/G
                    etc.

Other factors matter also, like power consumption, noise levels, etc.
                    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 03-31-2010, 12:51 AM.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The Cell processor on [email protected] and similar problems was about 17x faster that the top of the line quad core (Q9600) when the client was released. i7 and GPU based solutions have cut into that quite a bit, but a Cell is also about 10x cheaper than a GPU ( chip for chip). The DMA is also very, very quick (way faster than intel architecture). Way less power consumption too. People (like the air force) built clusters out of them because it was absolutely the best bang for the buck.

Also,
                      Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas
                      ps3 cell processor: 1 general purpose core + 6? special purpose "mini" cores (perhaps limited is a better word)
                      Not exactly, 8 SPUs are possible on Cell technology (The PS3 has 6 SPUs), perhaps more. Its not the same as cores. You can't think of them as limited. Perhaps the best way to think of them is as thread/datastream processors. The single supervisor "core" "stitches" together results from the SPUs to actually produce usable results. Easiest way to think about how it works in the context of a game might be 1 AI SPU, 1 Physics SPU, 1 Input/VOIP SPU, 1 Hit detection SPU, 1 Animation SPU, etc, with the PPU stitching together the results to create a game engine. It works best when the SPUS are kept very busy and constantly pushing results for the PPU to use. Its quite a different programming concept to general purpose cores/threads.
                      Do or do not, there is no try....
                      -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
                        The Cell processor on [email protected] and similar problems was about 17x faster that the top of the line quad core (Q9600) when the client was released. i7 and GPU based solutions have cut into that quite a bit, but a Cell is also about 10x cheaper than a GPU ( chip for chip). The DMA is also very, very quick (way faster than intel architecture). Way less power consumption too. People (like the air force) built clusters out of them because it was absolutely the best bang for the buck.

Also,
                        Not exactly, 8 SPUs are possible on Cell technology (The PS3 has 6 SPUs), perhaps more. Its not the same as cores. You can't think of them as limited. Perhaps the best way to think of them is as thread/datastream processors. The single supervisor "core" "stitches" together results from the SPUs to actually produce usable results. Easiest way to think about how it works in the context of a game might be 1 AI SPU, 1 Physics SPU, 1 Input/VOIP SPU, 1 Hit detection SPU, 1 Animation SPU, etc, with the PPU stitching together the results to create a game engine. It works best when the SPUS are kept very busy and constantly pushing results for the PPU to use. Its quite a different programming concept to general purpose cores/threads.
                        Ah, that is a better way of thinking about the cell processor than (at least the ones like Sony's). Then the PS3 is pretty worth it then if you're after a server farm for research intensive applications. Well perhaps, AMD might surpass the current cell processors in the future when they figure out how to combine the best of a CPU and a GPU.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The reason the PS3 was far cheaper than the alternatives is because SONY "subsidized" the cost of the PS3. I don't know if it's still the case with the newest generation PS3s but at least with the models the military was buying up, it costed SONY more to manufacture the PS3 than they sold it for. The idea was to recoup the loss on higher volume game and accessory sales. I take it the military isn't buying up lots of video games or accessories to go with their PS3s. So SONY is just taking a net loss there.

Taking out the option for other OS support seems like a good business decision from SONY's point of view.

Comment

From what I read, the subsidy wasn't about game sales as much as it was in pursuit of Blu-Ray winning the HD wars. For a long while the PS3 was, bar none, the cheapest Blu-Ray player you could get. It was one Sony division subsidizing another, for all intents and purposes.

I can see as plausible a shift to a less permissive model now that the format wars have ended, though the 2-year delay until this happened seems rather long. Of course one must not attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence, so it's entirely possible someone in management just got a bug in their ear about the 3v!l h4xx0rz, and decreed Linux shall taint their precious PS3 no longer.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                            --BlackMirror
                            <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                            Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                            --Blackraven93

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X