Ceton InfiniTV 4 CableCARD tuner review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceton InfiniTV 4 CableCARD tuner review

We have talked about CableCards and Tuners here in the forum, and I looked back through the threads and didn't see one that could be bumped with this review, so posting about it.

Ceton InfiniTV 4 CableCARD tuner review (link)

This is actually a pretty big deal, since it is the first non-oem card that accepts a cablecard. We talked last year about the fact that the powers that be decided to finally allow non-oem cards to be made and sold, and it has taken this long for them to go on sale. With one of these, you could finally set up a very good HTPC and easily use it as a DVR, using the very well reviewed new Windows 7 Media Center.

Only downside of course is the price, as this card is pretty expensive. But hopefully there are more to come that will bring down the price.

The review does point out that this would still be a lot cheaper to use than something like Tivo. Bottom line is they really love the card. And this was an early review with a bigger one planed soon.

The plan is to get a TiVo loving Engadget editor to pick up a $300 PC from a big box store, slap an InfiniTV 4 in and put it head to head with the TiVo Premier.
    The Premier just went on sale at BestBuy last week or so, and isn't as big an upgrade to the older model everyone was hoping for.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Ceton InfiniTV 4 CableCARD tuner review

Nice read, I'm sorta understanding cablecards vs tuners now I think.

My parents had been asking about DVRs and called up Comcast to find the price for using their service, and I told them I could build a PC to use instead.

I'm assuming that I couldn't hook the cable box up to the tv tuner in the PC? And that's where the cablecard comes in?

I've got a crappy tuner off woot in my own pc, and could pick up OTA and local channels through the cable, so my experience is pretty limited. Building a solid HTPC is something I plan on doing in the near future, and something like this could really tie it all together.

Comment

I'm started getting heavier into Windows 7 Media Center because I was able to snag a Linksys DMA2100 Media Extender a few months ago for $25.

The price of the 4 tuner Ceton is a little high for my tastes. I've been following the Silicon Dust cable-card version of the HDHomeRun that was announced a few months ago but I haven't seen any recent news about it, especially an ETA.

I know Ceton is supposedly going to be releasing a 2 tuner InfiniTV and if there hasn't been much update regarding the Silicion Dust tuner by then I may have to look at their 2 tuner product. The appealing thing about the HDHR tuner is it is a networked tuner as opposed to a card in a PC.

Definitely going to be following both products. Right now Media Center isn't replacing our Time Warner DVR just because we are under contract until November with it, but we'll likely be switching off it then.

Even with my simple 2 tuner setup (Hauppauge PVR-150 & ATI Wonder HD 650) I can do more then what the TW DVR can do.

Comment

I hate my TimeWarner cablebox/DVR!
        One of my biggest pet peves is not being able to add/delete a channel. I don't want QVC and a ton of other channels in the lineup, and I want to delete them so I can just go though the channel without them popping up.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

With my Asus MyCinema I can record any unencrypted channels through windows media center on my vista install at home. The wall goes to a splitter with goes to the PC and the cable box. The TV gets all the channels from the cable box (including all the crapy TWC on demand channels) while I can record basic stuff on the PC. So I can record on the PC while watching whatever on the TV. If necessary I can run an s video cable to the PC from the cable box to record the encrypted channels but thats a rare occasion. I do have to say that the only thing missing from the current set up, running an old-ish SDTV just isn't cutting it, the desktop looks so bad at such a low resolution.
          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Kind of on the topic of this thread is news of another card
            HDHomeRun CableCARD will feature three tuners in time for the holidays

I'm like the $250 price tag better

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X