Would this be possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be possible?

Im seriously considering goin sli with GTX 260s but dont want to shell out big bucks for a 1000 watt psu..........I have an old 450 watt psu and Im thinking of using it to run the second card(just to power the second 260) along with my 65o watt psu (the one thats in my case)will this work?

Tex

Re: Would this be possible?

Depending on the quality of that 650 watt psu you may not need to upgrade for SLI.
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
      Depending on the quality of that 650 watt psu you may not need to upgrade for SLI.
      I really dont want to chance it....but thanks for the reply

Tex

Comment

What resolution are you gaming at? Are you using multiple displays?

If you're not using multiple monitors and/or am not gaming at a higher resolution (ex: 1920 x 1080/1200), then it might just be better to save your money for a better graphics card instead of spending it on another GTX260 for SLI.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          What resolution are you gaming at? Are you using multiple displays?

If you're not using multiple monitors and/or am not gaming at a higher resolution (ex: 1920 x 1080/1200), then it might just be better to save your money for a better graphics card instead of spending it on another GTX260 for SLI.
          I am gamin at 1900/1080

Tex

Comment

Well even at 1920 x 1080, I'd save up for a better single card instead. The newer HD5xxx AMD cards run cooler, eat less power (thus requires a less powerful PSU), and generally offer good price-to-performance ratios. If you get another GTX260 + a new PSU, you'd have to figure if the extra 20 fps (or whatever) is worth the $250+ you're spending.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              Well even at 1920 x 1080, I'd save up for a better single card instead. The newer HD5xxx AMD cards run cooler, eat less power (thus requires a less powerful PSU), and generally offer good price-to-performance ratios. If you get another GTX260 + a new PSU, you'd have to figure if the extra 20 fps (or whatever) is worth the $250+ you're spending.
              Actually a new 260 is 200 and I already have another psu the 450 Im just interested in whether it is possible to run the old psu as a second power source switching to ati is a pain after havinga nvidia card and would require a reformat of the HD and reinstalling the OS

Tex

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTwister View Post
                Actually a new 260 is 200 and I already have another psu the 450 Im just interested in whether it is possible to run the old psu as a second power source switching to ati is a pain after havinga nvidia card and would require a reformat of the HD and reinstalling the OS

Tex
                Switching to a ATI card does not require you to reformat or reinstall Windows. Short of replacing your motherboard, you won't need to do either of those two things when you change your hardware.

You should be able to run the second card on the 450W. However, you'll need to find online how to trick the PSU into powering your card since you don't have a second motherboard on hand.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I beg to differ changing to ATI is a nightmare without reformatting because harware drivers are not easily removed from the registry Ive read about people trying and having all sorts of issues.

Tex

Comment

I beg to differ changing to ATI is a nightmare without reformatting because harware drivers are not easily removed from the registry Ive read about people trying and having all sorts of issues.

Tex
                    I can tell you first hand, I have not had any problems switching from ATI to nVidia and back. I just recently went from nVidia 8800GT to a HD5830. I plugged in the new card, installed the ATI drivers, and then uninstalled the nVidia drivers via Control Panel. I'm sure many here have done the same without any issues.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Tex
                      You've probably heard either from some ignorant people, or some people with very weird problems. You should have no problem switching video drivers. I've done it many, many times with out any problems (except for that one time that they conflicted with my Creative sound drivers...).
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Like others have said, it isn't a big deal to switch video card brands. I haven't done it in a while but I generally unistall the old drivers, install the new card, boot into safe mode and run driver cleaner, normal boot and install the drivers for the new card and play games with a smile on my face.
                        sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X