USB Sound Dongle(card)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Sound Dongle(card)

Has anybody any experience with one of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829118107

My on-board sound has died. All I have is stero speakers and I don't require anything fancy.

Do I understand it correctly in that I plug the thing into a usb port, install some software and plug in my speakers and microphone?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: USB Sound Dongle(card)

You need a 2 port dongle that has an input (mic) and an output (speakers/headset), the dongle will have software on it and windows should install drivers automatically (internet connection required!) and the software runs off the dongle which bypasses your sound card and on-board sound. The one you posted has only 1 SPDIF output socket.

Comment

So this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829128004

...would allow me to plug in my 2-channel speakers and mono mic?

Thanks for your help.
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

That should do it!

Comment

Thanks much for your help.

Comment

No problem, glad to do it!

If you read the reviews on newegg for the second one you posted you will see that it is what you are looking for!

Comment

Gringo, out of curiosity, was this on your laptop or desktop?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Desktop.

After I cleaned my computer I noticed the speakers where unplugged. I plugged them back in and heard a big "POP". To make sure I plugged my speakers into my laptop and they where fine. I also plugged in some headphones and there was no sound.

I thought about getting a cheap sound card but just would rather have the USB thing I can use in other places. I have a couple computers at work that I am forced to use during testing and they don't have any sound.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                  Desktop.

After I cleaned my computer I noticed the speakers where unplugged. I plugged them back in and heard a big "POP". To make sure I plugged my speakers into my laptop and they where fine. I also plugged in some headphones and there was no sound.

I thought about getting a cheap sound card but just would rather have the USB thing I can use in other places. I have a couple computers at work that I am forced to use during testing and they don't have any sound.
                  Ah, okay, I see.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I got one of those startech usb sound cards for my dad's laptop that had the sound die. It works quite acceptably.
                    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X