Video card for BC2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video card for BC2

I am looking for a new video card to attempt to make BC2 playable. I am thinking around 150 bucks to drop. My specs are:

Mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe
    CPU: Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
    2 gig of ram (can't do more because I have win xp if I recall)
    Video: Nvidia 7600 GS

I believe it is PCI express. If someone can link me to a neweggg card that will work, I would be grateful :)

Thanks!
    sigpic

Re: Video card for BC2

What screen resolution do you plan on using?

Specifications of your power supply, watts/manufacturer or 12v rating in amps?

Also you CPU will hold you back. If you are interested it is quite easy to raise the clocks on it. The first step I would take is to check the temperatures on it using some software.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I wouldn't mind overclocking it, but at a glance it wasn't obvious, and I know enough to get me in trouble rather than improve things.
      I generally run at 1280 x 1024 and I have a dual monitor setup right now which is 1 DVI and 1 vga (since that is what the card offers).
      Wouldn't mind both being dvi. My power supply is a cooler master rs-430-pmsr (430W).
      I don't think I am taxing it much at all between 2 dvd drives, 2 hard drives, and some usb stuff.
      What software would you recommend to look at temps?

Thanks!
      sigpic

Comment

At $150, I'd recommend the HD5770 (this one is $140 after MIR). Here's a in-depth review of the card.

It'll handle BC2 @ 1280 x 1024 at high settings just fine. Plus it's probably the best buy at the $150 price point since it runs cooler and consumes less power than the closest nVidia offerings.

Here's a video of someone playing BC2 with a HD5770. He gets anywhere from 40 to 60 fps in game (count taken via FRAPS) at high settings.

|TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

How much of a performance hit does it take running on pci express rather than 2.1? Also, there was mention of ati issues with bc2 I vaguely recall. Not sure if that is still the case. Thank you!
          sigpic

Comment

The 5770 just edges out on Spur's PSU though, it needs 450 watts. But, with Newegg's PSU calculator, it comes out to 357 watts. So, I dunno what number to go with, but its something to consider.

I don't think you'd find any issues with a 2.1 pci-e card in a non-pci-e slot at your resolution. To the best of my knowledge, its not really a huge issue until you're getting to the real high end crazy cards and resolutions.

As for ATI and BC2, for some reason ATI users get a longer loading time on average than nvidia players. Also, with you turning your settings up with a new card, you'll take longer to load the higher res textures and whatnot.

Comment

Ugh, I don't want to have to buy a new power supply too. That would be a last resort. The motherboard has 2 pcie 16, 1 pcie 1 slot, and a universal pcie slot plus some pci slots. Do those by default have this 6 pin 75 watt thing mentioned in the specs? Do I need to get some adaptor or something to work with it? Asus mobo manual. I hate for other folks to do my homework on this, but I am so far removed from the hardware side of things nowadays, this is all new to me.
              sigpic

Comment

You won't have to get a new PSU. You won't even go over 380W of power consumption. As for PCI-E 2.1, it won't make a difference between that and a PCI-E 2.0 slot. Most cards now won't even hit the bandwidth limit unless it is a high-end card (say HD5970). You'll only need to use one 6-pin PCI-E power connector for the HD5770.

There aren't anymore issues with BC2 with ATI cards, at least not the HD5000 series ones.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

To figure out if your power supply will work google some reviews of the model you have(have to open the case and read off the unit most likely) or at least check the rated 12v line amerage(this is what most power hungry parts run off of).

i like to use HWmonitor, http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php for temps
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Acreo Aeneas, what CPU is used in that video as well?
                    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Well, if there are no nays on that card, I will order that one, a monitor cable, and an adapter for the 6 pin. My temps (thanks for the link namebot) all are between 100 and 130 except for something called auxtin which is 250. Gonna have to research that since it seems high.
                      sigpic

Comment

Uhm, I'm just gonna guess (hope) that you meant 100-130 degrees Fahrenheit? lol, if not, you've got some SERIOUS issues going on!

Comment

LOL, yes F.
                          sigpic

Comment

hahahaah i was about to say.....
                            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I have to say I've been happy with my ATI 4850 when playing BC2. I almost went with a 5770 but had an overall budget I needed to stay in when upgrading all of my parts in early March. Ended up getting a Phenom II quad-core, 4850 and 2GB of RAM and I'm running 1280X1024 with everything on high and it's smooth as silk. In my case the quad-core probably helps balance out the video card being a little less powerful then a 5770.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X