Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western Digital's Velociraptor SATA 3.0 Hard Drives Out Now In 450 - 600GB Options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Digital's Velociraptor SATA 3.0 Hard Drives Out Now In 450 - 600GB Options

Very interesting news out of WD today. I heard about this a few days ago, but hadn't seen prices:

Western Digital's Velociraptor SATA 3.0 Hard Drives Out Now In 450 - 600GB Options

All things considered, those are very good prices for some fast drives. Still don't come close to SSDs in speed, but if you need a really fast media drive or something for editing video, it would be a great option.

Dream rig would be a good SSD for OS and some games, and everything else on one of these. :icon6:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Western Digital's Velociraptor SATA 3.0 Hard Drives Out Now In 450 - 600GB Option

Well that was quick. Engadget did a roundup of all the reviews:

Western Digital VelociRaptor VR200M review roundup: fast, capacious, but no SSD

Anandtech had this as the conclusion:

The problem is once you take into account solid state storage. The new VelociRaptor boasts a 4KB random write speed of 1.9MB/s. Intel's X25-M G2 is amost 20x faster. The new VelociRaptor averages 178 IOPS in our typical Bench workload, Intel's X25-M can push nearly 800 IOPS in the same test.

While you are getting much more storage for your dollar with the VelociRaptor, a higher performance alternative would be to combine a good SSD with a 1TB drive. Using the SSD for your OS and apps, and the TB drive for all of your music, photos, videos and games. It's this sort of configuration that I use in my personal desktop (except I have two 1TB drives in RAID-1).

If you can't go the SSD route but still need the performance, WD has retaken the crown with the new VelociRaptor. If you can make it work however, you may be happier with an X25-M and a WD Caviar Black instead.
    ummmm........pretty much what I said, except that they got WD to send them free ones to play with.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Re: Western Digital's Velociraptor SATA 3.0 Hard Drives Out Now In 450 - 600GB Option

The WD Caviar Black + SSD combo is exactly what I am aiming for (I already have the 1TB WD). Glad to know I'm on the right track.

Comment

What should I be looking for when searching for a SSD drive? From the quick looks I have given it, there seem to be major differences in speed depending on options that I cannot remember now.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X