AMD or Intel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD or Intel?

So, with Intel making undeniably great chips since their Core2Duo line, and AMD FINALLY getting back to the way they used to be with great chips that are more budget oriented, which would you suggest? I'm thinking either Intel i5 or AMD Phenom II X4. Even within those lines, there are so many options! I'd like to keep it under $200. I'm also hearing great things about the latest Gigabyte motherboards. Are there any better alternatives for achieving both great performance while staying within a budget?
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: AMD or Intel?

Both companies are pretty solid with good mobo options. I'd really say that setting a budget and finding the best performance for that budget is the way to go instead of favoring one maker over the other.

I've consistently purchased AMD because I go the budget route, and all of my CPUs have been sub $200 and in that price range AMD has been the better deal with the best features in each case. At the time of my past purchases the AMDs ran cooler and had better options such as two physical cores instead of hyperthreading, better BUS and system memory interfaces and less expensive motherboards with comparable features.

If you aren't going for bleeding edge buy the best reviewed motherboard for your price range that supports the level of chip you want (and possibly a future upgrade) from either manufacturer that has what you need and has been released for 6 months. This way you know that you are likely to be getting a reliable foundation as the chips are pretty much guaranteed to be solid and everything else is interchangeable other than the CPU/mobo combination.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

So mobos made for AMD chips are usually cheaper? Interesting. I didn't realize that. That might sway me toward AMD. You're right. I need to set a firm budget.

Comment

After doing more research, and a good new article comparing cpu's @ Tomshardware.com, I think I've decided on this chip.
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103674
        The AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor. It should do the trick. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
          So mobos made for AMD chips are usually cheaper? Interesting. I didn't realize that. That might sway me toward AMD. You're right. I need to set a firm budget.
          I haven't checked recently, but in the inexpensive mobo market they had been. If you were going for a board with more options (around the $150+ range) I don't think there was as much of a difference, but I was usually sub $100 for an established mobo.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

If you get that AMD chip (phenom II x4 955 black edition) I would suggest this CPU cooler:
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835114100
            It's excellent cooling for the price. You should be able to overclock with this to 3.9ghz with it still being stable. I'm guessing your overclocking since your thinking of getting the black edition (meaning unlocked multiplier)?

And here's a mobo too ($80):
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130250
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Going off of pricing on NewEgg, it's pretty even as for as cheap mobos for Intel and AMD. However, to get a similar feature set and layout, I find you'd have to go with a more expensive Intel board to pair with your Intel CPU. With AMD, I could stick with a cheaper board and still get the features that I want and the layout I desire (as far as my configured lists goes anyways).

With the emphasis on quad-cores now, I honestly think AMD is the best way to go. You still get 80%/90% of a comparable Intel chip's performance while saving typically $60 to $100+ (AMD Phenom II vs. Intel i5/i7).
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Going off of pricing on NewEgg, it's pretty even as for as cheap mobos for Intel and AMD. However, to get a similar feature set and layout, I find you'd have to go with a more expensive Intel board to pair with your Intel CPU. With AMD, I could stick with a cheaper board and still get the features that I want and the layout I desire (as far as my configured lists goes anyways).

With the emphasis on quad-cores now, I honestly think AMD is the best way to go. You still get 80%/90% of a comparable Intel chip's performance while saving typically $60 to $100+ (AMD Phenom II vs. Intel i5/i7).
                I second that
                |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Thirded, especially if the machine is going to be used primarily for gaming. There are other applications where you would really benefit from the extra power you'd get from an I7 though...
                  sigpic

Comment

For the price its hard to beat the performance of the Phenom II.

That's where AMD consistently exists; not at the bleeding edge, but if you're on a budget AMD is almost always the best choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosati View Post
                      For the price its hard to beat the performance of the Phenom II.

That's where AMD consistently exists; not at the bleeding edge, but if you're on a budget AMD is almost always the best choice.
                      That's the conclusion I've come to throughout this discussion. Although I lust after the latest Intel i7's, it seems the Phenom II X4 955 will be the best for my desires and budget. Thanks for the help everyone! I'll post a list of my build when I finish deciding on all the parts. :)

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                        That's the conclusion I've come to throughout this discussion. Although I lust after the latest Intel i7's, it seems the Phenom II X4 955 will be the best for my desires and budget. Thanks for the help everyone! I'll post a list of my build when I finish deciding on all the parts. :)
                        Heh, I'm lusting for another $800 so I could go and build a Phenom II rig (and maybe pass it along to my brother as gift). It's been ages since my old Athlon XP 2000+ chip. Hell, even a Sempron rig would be pretty cool seeing how if I pair it with a 760G/780G chipset, I could unlock the second core and thus making it a Athlon II X2 215 (OCing by 100 mhz effective would make it a 240). This potential carries over to a certain dual-core that could become a Phenom II X4. At which point you save even more (say $50).

Makes me wish the Athlon IIs were out in July '07. I could have potentially saved a few hundred in this last upgrade and still could have gotten a great quad-core.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Here is an idea for you. You can get this chip and you can make it a quad core chip if you buy a motherboard with a 710 or 750 southbridge. Sometimes it does not work, but I have had luck with both the chips that I bought. I just bought an upgraded cpu cooler, but even with the stock one I have not really had any heat issues. By the way, the stock AMD cooler with the Phenom II X4's(not the Phenom II X2's) is actually a pretty good cooler. I really have to say that after having used both, Intel and AMD's are both very equal in terms of power. I know Intel's always win the battle of the synthetic benchmarks, but then, most of them were designed with Intel in mind so they are a little unfair. Finally, Frys.com has new deals that come out about 12:30 am eastern time on Friday morning and they have had some really good combo deals recently, but they sell out in about 20 minutes so you have to be fast.
                          Fi

Comment

It's all personal preference but right now i think amd has more options but i'm the type doesn't really want a ton of options i just want the good one so i typically buy intel.

- -

Comment

I hear ya, Vulcan. Originally I was hellbent on getting the i7. It's an undeniably fantastic cpu. But I feel I'm getting more bang for my buck with the AMD I picked out.

@gator: My brother did exactly what you're talking about. That is a REALLY cool idea, and you can't beat it for building a smoking pc on a shoestring budget. His didn't work out. He got all the cores unlocked, but it was very unstable, so he's just using the 2. It's still super quick, though. I decided not to take the risk and spend the $60 premium to get the cpu with all cores already unlocked from the factory. Thanks for the info, though!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X