iPhone OS 4.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone OS 4.0

FINALLY! Apple do multitasking. Stay tuned for links, I will get some later. I fully expect Bamboo to wake up and beat me to it thought! ;)

Re: iPhone OS 4.0

Link Supplied:

iPhone Multitasking, amongst other new tricks

Comment

I paid attention to the iPOS 4 launch and i have to say that I'm amazed.
      Amazed that Apple is still claiming that they're revolutionizing the market.

Lets be real about it for a second. EVERYTHING that 4.0 does, android has done for 2 years now.
      Multitasking? Android had it from day 1.
      Folders? Android had it from day 1.
      Unified inbox? Android had it from day 1.

So lets see, can we start calling it iCopy? Oh yeah, and for all of you ipod touch users and anyone who doesnt have a 3GS, you dont get the new features mentioned above. You either have to have a 3GS or the new HD they're coming out to get the stuff. Oh yeah, and it's not coming out until this fall.

Makes me giggle that everyone is eating this up.

Comment

Yup I know all the details, and while I have an iPhone 3G, in no way am I a fan boy. I do not have enough experience with android to know different.

I will however definitely agree that the iPhone has been resting on its ass for years. It needs a serious hardware and software kick before I would even consider the new one. Personally I am holding out for the Windows 7 phone.
        Last edited by Jeepo; 04-08-2010, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Damonte is waiting for Droid 2.0 on Verizon's 4G LTE network.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Jsut read this on one of my friend facebook statuses (he's a ipod/apple fanboy):
            "NO MULITASKING FOR IPOD TOUCH 1st and second gen AND NO MULITASKING FOR IPHIONE AND IPHONE 3G!!!"
            He had this link under it:
            http://gizmodo.com/5512635/iphone-os...e-new-features

Haven't read it, just thought it would be good to put up here.
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Multitasking? Well, guess they finally caught up with everyone else. They really should drop their b.s. claim to "revolutionizing" the market. I'm sure someone somewhere was struck with the same ideas. They're not the only people.

If they decide to keep the 4.0 OS only to iPhone 3GS and the iPad, the rest of us can guess at the vile strategy.

Still doesn't convince me in getting either. My Nokia E63 already does multitasking, though a bit limited and nowhere near as many (useless) apps as the iPhones have.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

On the multitasking note, (after reading on it considerably today) while apple claims that it will be the best multitasking available because of how smooth it is, its not true multitasking. Apple has designed the OS so that only CERTAIN apps are going to be able to multitask. Everything else is going to be same-old same-old one app at a time hogwash.

Comment

To me the iPhone is a non-starter because of Apple's refusal to go open. I love my Droid. I chose it over the iPhone because the OS is open, the market is open, and both embrace open technologies.

Prime example of where the iPhone falls is OGG support. OGG (vorbis) is a patent and royalty free audio codec. People have requested it to be included in the iPod for years. Thus far Apple has refused. Listening to OGGs is possible on the iPhone only with third party apps and, to my knowledge, not usable as ring tones.

Within hours (if not the first hour) of getting my Droid I had set my ring tone to be "See Who I Am" by Within Temptation. I didn't need to convert my OGG or rerip to MP3 to do it. I loaded the two albums I ripped and selected a song for my ring tone.

I don't need or want big brother Apple telling me which apps I can and cannot use nor which audio formats I can and cannot use. Until that foundational flaw in Apple's view of their customers is altered the technical capabilities of their product are of no interest to me. In scanning the 4.0 update information I don't see that as having changed.
                  "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

Speaking of apple and their tyranny, did you guys hear about their move with BLOCKING developers from creating apps in flash, just in time to coincide with CS5's launch and the ability to convert flash to iphone apps build into the program?

Yeah, read these:
                    Apple's iPhone lockdown: apps must be written in one of three languages, Adobe in the hurt locker

Apple Slaps Developers In The Face

I'm sorry, but thats a freaking load of BS for apple to pull. What a bunch of self-righteous d-bags. "Waaaah! We're not selling enough of our own products, so we're going to block anyone from developing unless they use them, regardless of the fact that the primary company we're blocking has been of great assistance to us over the years and our website utilizes so much of their technology, they practically own it!"

Comment

This, if being interpreted correctly, will also affect this:

http://unity3d.com/

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                      Yeah, read these:
                      Apple's iPhone lockdown: apps must be written in one of three languages, Adobe in the hurt locker

Apple Slaps Developers In The Face

I'm sorry, but thats a freaking load of BS for apple to pull. What a bunch of self-righteous d-bags. "Waaaah! We're not selling enough of our own products, so we're going to block anyone from developing unless they use them, regardless of the fact that the primary company we're blocking has been of great assistance to us over the years and our website utilizes so much of their technology, they practically own it!"
                      (This is directed specifically at you Ferris, but your post is in a convenient place to put it)

So one comment to make here, as much as the laughter gets directed at Apple fanboys, I have to say the tone on the other side of that coin is getting laughable too. Anti-Fanboyism (is that a word?) is just as dumb as Fanboyism. No one is forcing anyone to buy Apple products. If you don't like them don't buy them. If you think Steve Job's iPoop is magical, then buy it. They are just tools. If they don't fit the job you want to use them for, so what.

I've been working with Apple products long enough now to know they have some interesting policies regarding developer access to API's etc. This move against Adobe probably has a lot to do with some corporate tit-for-tat none of us know anything about, and the levels of assumption are getting dumb.

(speculation)
                      This is a strategic corporate conflict about platforms for RIA development. Adobe want us to live in Flashworld, where every consumer experience you have is through some Flash/Flex/AIR ecosystem. Apple want it all to be apps, and they want the content exclusively. Google are going for open standards and MS are going to want Silverlight in everything. Its IE/Netscape all over again.
                      Do or do not, there is no try....
                      -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

I see what you're saying and I understand. I think about it quite differently though. Yes, admittedly, I cant stand apple fanboys who think that everything that Jobs poops out is the best thing ever. What I have a larger problem with is apple's way of doing business. They sue other people for IP infringement because their inferior product is losing MAJOR marketshare to competitors with better devices. They put out "new" products that are both sub-par and using software elements that have been around for years, all while claiming they are "revolutionary". They tie the hands of developers in a pissing contest with other software companies that is clearly aimed at doing nothing more than giving apple a bigger piece of the profit pie.

Assumption about apples motives or not, the fact that the announcement was made just in time to coincide with the release of CS5, which was specifically designed with a compiler that would allow apps to be created in flash and directly ported to iP OS, is a bit interesting. And yes, it is also going to effect developers who work with Unity to create apps. The point is that the move is ill-mannered on any level and apple is never going to explain its motives for doing it, so assumption is all we have to go on.

My problem with the whole thing is apple itself. Hey, I have an ipod. It's the best mp3 player you can get right now (my brother has a zune and it's a pile of garbage). But if apple all of a sudden stepped up and said "your ipod will cease to function if you use any other software to sync it but itunes", i'd be a bit pissed off considering there is software out there with a greater range of options than itunes offers. So my anger with apple has little to do with being an anti-fanboy other than the fact that I truly believe that fanboys are blind, ill-educated and uninformed morons who are on a bandwagon just to be on a bandwagon. As a developer for other software platforms, I'm horrified at the way apple does business and it just slides right on through.

Comment

I don't disagree with anything you have said, but the reason it slides through is because Apple has successfully created an ecosystem that is making a lot of people a lot of money. More so that just about any other mobile platform.

There are a lot of crap things about them. My main Apple product is Logic Pro (which in turn means a beefy Mac to run it on), and for a long time, they were ignoring bugs and not really updating it until people bitched at them so hard threatening to leave to Cubase/Protools. Finally they came around and now we get regular updates and fixes. Took long enough. Its still the best tool for the job out there though, so I keep upgrading macs, and I have a MBP to play live with, and suddenly I'm into the whole ecosystem. Its still so much better then any alternative on Windows though, so I accept the bad with the good the tool gives me. It's got plenty of flaws, but you can't really tell me this is any different than things Microsoft have been doing for years (and Adobe too, as a matter of fact, with their purchase of Macromedia).
                          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
                            It's got plenty of flaws, but you can't really tell me this is any different than things Microsoft have been doing for years (and Adobe too, as a matter of fact, with their purchase of Macromedia).
                            One very big difference between Apple and Microsoft is that there are all kinds of people, including several national governments, calling Microsoft out on their bad practices. Many of those people are Apple fanboys. But even more are those that develop for the Microsoft platform.

Some of the best rants against Microsoft have been from third party developers. And Microsoft usually, after some time, listens.

Apple fanboys become outraged when any criticism comes apples way. And I have never really heard a Apple developer complain. As somebody that develops for Microsoft I just can't understand that. I complain to Microsoft all the time. And I complain about Microsoft all the time. It is how the platform gets better.
                            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Hint: It's because Apple users generally pay for stuff, thus most of the developers are making money, and not being torrented or keyhacked by the internet in general.

In any case, It loosk as though Unity may not be affected by this, because, although you write to a C# API, the Unity iPhone toolkit actually produces ObjC source, which is then again compiled to iPhone binaries. I guess we'll see.
                              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...