My new build. Should I do it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new build. Should I do it?

Well after about an 8 year run with my current pc, which has proven to be rock solid and still great with it's AMD 2600+ (Barton core) and Geforce 6800gt, I'm FINALLY building a new pc. Although my old pc's been good, it can't hang with HD, it sucks at processing video, and can't play the latest games well.

What I want the new pc for is not just gaming, but I work a lot with Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat for work, and want to get into HD video editing. Plus it'd be really nice to back up all my movies and blu-ray discs onto hd's, so a quick computer would be really nice for these purposes.

So here's the list of parts I've put together on Newegg:

-CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4Ghz
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103727
    -Mobo: Gigabyte GA-790FXTA SATA 6gb/s, usb 3.0, pci-e 2.0 16x (can run 2 cards at 16x)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128415
    The mobo/cpu are a combo deal for $363.98 and comes with a free copy of Call of Duty MW2!
    -Ram: Patriot Viper II 4GB (2x2gb) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) CAS 7-7-7-20 - $119.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220475
    -HD1: Kingston SSDNow V Series 64gb SATA II (For booting and a couple games) $144.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139133
    -HD2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 7200rpm SATA 6.0gb/s - $119.99 (for most my storage needs...I'm gonna start buying external hd's for my movie backup needs)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136533
    -Video Card: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 1gb 256-bit GDDR3 x 2 for Crossfire ($129.99 each x 2 = $259.98)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150351
    This video card setup recently got an excellent review on Tomshardware!
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rd,2569-4.html
    -Blu-Ray Burner: LG Blu-ray 10x burner w/ software & lightscribe support - $149.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136181
    -DVD-RW: LG 22x DVD Burner - $25.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136168
    (I know 2 optical drives may seem excessive, but for $26, it's be nice not to have to swap dvd's when making copies, plus put most the burning wear and tear on the cheap one)
    -Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced Black Steel Mid Tower Case - $99.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119216
    -PSU: Corsair 750TX (seems plenty beefy for my needs) - $109.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006
    TOTAL COST: $1481.39 after shipping, which is right under my $1500 budget, but any savings would definitely be nice.

So that's it in a nutshell. Is there anything I'm forgetting aside from cables, or anything I'm doing blatantly wrong? For sound, I'll probably be using my Razer Barracuda AC-1 soundcard. Maybe it's better than the onboard sound, but not really sure.

I appreciate any input! Hopefully I'll get this bad boy ordered by Monday, so it's not too late to make any changes.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: My new build. Should I do it?

I so wish I have 1500 bucks right now, that is a very solid looking rig. The only brand I see that I don't like is LG, I'd recommend a Samsung over for the optical drives myself but that is based on limited personal experience.

Have you checked out the SSD to make sure it is one of the better equipped ones? I know that options for them vary quite a bit and I don't recall which ones had comparable performance issues.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

You could save some money by buying the Phenom 955 (3.2 ghz) instead of the 965 and overclock it, It goes easily up to 3.8 ghz in most cases.

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Comment

Get a 5850/5830 instead of crossfire 4850. Dx11, lower power, no potential issues with crossfire, possibly better performance in areas too(complete guess on my part)

I also don't believe the WD Black SATA 3.0 drive actually shows any speed advantage over the cheaper 2.0 version - save some money.
        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Oh my! You're right! I didn't even LOOK at the 5xxx series cards! I'd get not only dx11, but bit-streaming audio over hdmi! That alone makes it worth it to me. Plus the 5830 (albeit slower than the crossfire 4850), should be more future proof. I guess as the prices fall this summer, I can always drop in another card later, huh? However, the only 5830 cards I can find say they're pci-e 2.1. Will that work in my mobo?

As far as the hd goes, it would appear that there's not a huge price difference between the sata 3 and 2 versions. There aren't really any good sales on 1.5 or 2 tb drives, so as I see a sale later on this year, I might throw one of those puppies in there (3 gb/s version).

Comment

A general rule of thumb for computer connections nowadays is if it fits in the connection it will work at the slowest speed of the two pieces of hardware, so if the card is 2.1 and the board is 2.0 for pci-e it will behave like 2.0. That is why SATA 3.0 has a completely new connector while 1.0 and 2.0 work when plugged into each other.
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Here's my question: do you really need a BD Burner?

If you don't plan on burning any Blu-Ray disks for a while, then I'd suggest not getting it until you absolutely need it. Right now pricing is still pretty steep in my opinion, especially considering the costs of the media nowadays. I'm sure eventually pricing will drop down to maybe $50. In which case, it would be worth it then if the media can be bought for a reasonable price in spindles.

As far as SATA600 HDDs, they offer almost no real performance increase over SATA300 drives. And none of the drives even use anywhere near the max bandwidth SATA150 offers (150 gigabits).
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Very good build. May I suggest this HD?:
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185
                |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by di1lweed1212 View Post
                  Very good build. May I suggest this HD?:
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185
                  Haha. You read my mind. After doing further research, you guys were all correct. There is only a negligible performance increase with the 3.0 - 6.0 gb/s hds. So I'm going with this very hd you're suggesting. Thanks for the link. Just put it in the shopping cart.

I've also decided to switch video cards to a cheapy for the moment. Apparently we should see some nice price drops this Summer, and maybe I can get 2 way nicer cards then (maybe the 5850's). In the meanwhile, I think this should do the trick for any of my current games. A Radeon HD 5770. Will definitely want to switch (and go crossfire) soon down the road, but this is pretty cheap.
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125309

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    Here's my question: do you really need a BD Burner?

If you don't plan on burning any Blu-Ray disks for a while, then I'd suggest not getting it until you absolutely need it. Right now pricing is still pretty steep in my opinion, especially considering the costs of the media nowadays. I'm sure eventually pricing will drop down to maybe $50. In which case, it would be worth it then if the media can be bought for a reasonable price in spindles.
                    I do plan on burning blu-rays. The price of the drive dropped this very afternoon to $129.99, and the media seems to average about $3.00 per 25 gb disc. MUCH cheaper than before. Seems to be worth it to me now.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                      I do plan on burning blu-rays. The price of the drive dropped this very afternoon to $129.99, and the media seems to average about $3.00 per 25 gb disc. MUCH cheaper than before. Seems to be worth it to me now.
                      Eek, that's pretty pricey seeing how you're pretty limited to burning home videos.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        Eek, that's pretty pricey seeing how you're pretty limited to burning home videos.
                        Precisely one of the things I want to do! Imagine giving out wedding videos, etc on blu-ray. Gives me super nerd street-cred with the fam. Hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                          Precisely one of the things I want to do! Imagine giving out wedding videos, etc on blu-ray. Gives me super nerd street-cred with the fam. Hehe.
                          Yeah, I guess. I hope you have a good HD camcorder (not the cheapy ones that only promise HD in resolution but don't even have a high enough resolution CMOS sensor to back it up).

Anyways, I think you should go ahead on the build and I think this is a pretty good year for new builds seeing how cheap and competitive everything is now (beyond the pricier Intel chips).
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Just dropped the LG DVD Burner in favor of a $22 Asus (free shipping), due to the fact that many reviewers said the lightscribe feature didn't work on a 64 bit OS. I'm guessing that Asus is probably better anyway, gathering from all the buyer reviews I read. Thanks for the help, everyone! Also, with your help and a price drop on 2 items, my cost has gone down over $130! It's now $1350 after shipping. I will order Monday morning. I'm hoping the prices dip even a little more.

Comment

The Lightscribe feature in itself is sort of a gimmick. The disks still cost too much (around $0.50+ per CD, $1.00 for DVDs -special order online) and I find it's hard to find them in spindle packs in the stores. Usually I only see them sold in small packs of 3 or by themselves and only a few stores even carry LS CDs (retail they cost a lot more).
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X