No announcement yet.

New Monitor Help

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Monitor Help

It has been a couple of years since I have done any kind of in-depth research on a monitor. I currently have a Samsung 226BW and I am looking to upgrade. Here is what I am looking for:

I have an XFX 4870 video card so I am looking for something in the 1920 x 1200 resolution range. I use it for gaming so a fast response time is very important to me.

I have seen all the hubbub about the IPS monitors, but their response times seem slow at 5ms(the 226BW is 2ms). My bro in law loves Dells, but their response time seems to be slow as well. I am thinking those response times are grey to grey, but I could be wrong.

If anyone has any suggestions of what I should be looking for e.g. Pixel Pitch, etc., any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is an example of something I have been looking at.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: New Monitor Help

We just had a couple of threads about monitors. The one you linked to is a good one, as well as the Samsung T260hd. But the Samsung isn't going to be sold much longer so may be hard to find. I paid $300 for mine. I would hook you up with some links but I'm on my iPhone out of town.

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: New Monitor Help

Gator, I was just going to recommend that exact monitor. If you look at the pictures I posted a few weeks back, I bought that exact same model when I upgraded my PC. Simply awesome to have a nearly 26" monitor (feels more like a TV) less than 3 feet from my face.

If you need the color accuracy, definitely pick up a IPS panel. The VW266H is only a TN, so it's not good for photo manipulation or any other serious graphic work. You'll have to pay normally $500+ for a IPS panel with 1920 x 1200 resolution.

The response times really aren't accurate. No "2ms" monitor actually has that response (neither do the ones promising 8 ms). 90% of gamers out there won't notice a difference between 8 ms and 2 ms. Very few can actually tell the difference in response times from even a 5 ms to 2 ms monitor. Most of the response times are measured with digital tools, so goes to show how really important it might be to most gamers/people. Personally went from a Samsung 19" with 8 ms to this one with "2 ms" and I can't even tell the "increase" in response time.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed