New Smartphone Decision.........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Smartphone Decision.........

So, a nice o2 lady rang today to let me know my upgrade is on the 25th of April. I am not sure what to do. I want to wait for the W7 phones, but they will be released at xmas, and only in the US initially I bet.

I don't particularly want another iPhone, but might wait to see what news on the new one this summer.

Android seems to fail real hard for me, but that is just because their market place sucks worse that anything I have ever seen. I mean, it SAYS 30,000 apps, but damned if I can find more than maybe 45 apps on there?! You get your top free and the categories, top paid, and featured. That's all. They all look very amateur and there are not many to boot. I do like the other benefits though, like full multi tasking, and the HTC phones are sweet, but that said most good ones like the HTC Incredible and Evo are not out in the UK and may not be for a while. In fact HTC said the Evo will not be in Europe........ Plus not keen on google having anything to do with my phone activities.

I feel like I may have to pick a new iPhone 4Gen when it comes out simply because I don't have the will power to wait to xmas with my old 3G. But I would prefer to move away from the iPhone closed OS, sure now with the iPhone 4OS coming this summer it will do all I ever need, but still.

Thoughts, advice, benefits?!? Bear in mind I am in the UK and don't have access to all the models. If I could have ANY phone right now, it would be the HTC Evo, running W7 OS.

PS: I am also hoping an android fan will jump in and tell me where I am going wrong on the marketplace.
    Last edited by Jeepo; 04-18-2010, 11:01 AM.

Re: New Smartphone Decision.........

So you already own a iPhone and want to move up on the smartphone ladder? Or are you brand new to the smartphone ownership? I'm a little confused after reading your post.

What about the Google Nexus One? It's a Android smartphone. Camera quality is excellent even if design is a bit on the weird side for me (don't like two-tones). What are you looking for the apps to do for you?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Jeepo, my contract isn't up until next spring, but I'm already working over the same debate that you bring up.

Right now, I don't see any other phones that can give you the same experience that an iPhone can. I see a few that have the potential, but the lack of development for the other platforms just gives Apple a massive leg up on the competition. If I had to decide right now, I'd have to stick with the iPhone. (but I'd move up from my 3G to a 3GS!)

I'm hoping that in the next year, the Android market shapes up, and the WinMo7 devices hit hard. If I were you, I'd definitely hold out until the new iPhone hits, and I'd probably try to wait until the new year to see if competition lowers prices or offers something better...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        So you already own a iPhone and want to move up on the smartphone ladder? Or are you brand new to the smartphone ownership? I'm a little confused after reading your post.

What about the Google Nexus One? It's a Android smartphone. Camera quality is excellent even if design is a bit on the weird side for me (don't like two-tones). What are you looking for the apps to do for you?
        I have a iPhone 3G, before that I had a Blackberry. Back then things were a lot more clear cut, now the market seems diluted with phones, some smart, others just claiming to be IMO.

I am not a fan of the Nexus one, it got a whole heap of bad publicity over here after a few days of release due to Google not wanting anything to do with a batch that didn't work. Also, like I said, I would go android, but not so keen on Google knowing my phone whereabouts.

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
        Jeepo, my contract isn't up until next spring, but I'm already working over the same debate that you bring up.

Right now, I don't see any other phones that can give you the same experience that an iPhone can. I see a few that have the potential, but the lack of development for the other platforms just gives Apple a massive leg up on the competition. If I had to decide right now, I'd have to stick with the iPhone. (but I'd move up from my 3G to a 3GS!)

I'm hoping that in the next year, the Android market shapes up, and the WinMo7 devices hit hard. If I were you, I'd definitely hold out until the new iPhone hits, and I'd probably try to wait until the new year to see if competition lowers prices or offers something better...
        Like I say, I am probably going to wait until the new iPhone comes out and hit it, but deep inside I don't want to. I really really want a HTC handset, with a decent OS. But the UK market has little to offer in that department that will still give me the stuff my iPhone does. Basically, I want better hardware and software, and while Android offers that, in some respects it is very amateurish in comparison. Then there is the nightmare of moving all my music and re-buying apps..........I feel locked in by Apple TBH.

I agree with you regarding the development, nothing out there is even close, or seems to be. I could not even find stuff on the Android marketplace comparable to my current apps, so that would be a major lose right there. I just wish W7 had got their finger out earlier. Their hardware alone has me drooling. But I guess when my NEXT contract runs out, in winter 2011, the 2nd or even 3rd gen W7 phones will be around, hopefully with good support, great apps, great hardware, and full on Apple and Google bashing goodness.

Comment

*Needs Farris to pop in, he is the super advocate of android

Honestly I've been able to find any sort of app I need on the android market for my Droid, especially after you root your phone. The open nature and the ability to change what you want about your phone is what Android is really all about in my opinion.

Initial non modified home screen (other than some widgets and icon movement)

A little bit later down the line (running 2.1 before it was released for my phone)

Current set up, running a custom ROM that lets me overclock, tether, beautiful UI changes

The ability to change is great, if you don't like the way android does something you can more than likely change it. There is also serious work being done for the Droid so that it is able to use the FM radio that was not enabled by Motorola.
          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I'm in the same debate.. The only thing I can say for sure is that I'm not interested in an iPhone (although due in part because I'm stuck with Verizon) I've been looking into the Android platform, but at least as of right now it is a victim of it's own success. The only thing I will give Apple credit for is by fully controlling their phone, OS to hardware they have created a very stable and streamlined system. As to Android being open source, now manufactures are creating several versions of Android each tailored to a particular phone. In short Android is becoming a fractured OS were phone companies are not willing to invest in OS upgrades to their hardware as it would pull assets away from new development. Kind of like how DICE has all but canned BF2142 support in order to work on Bad Company 2.

The one thing I should add, the Motorola Droid, everyone I know who owns one loves it. I'm looking at getting an Android Phone (or at least leaning towards it at current) but I hate the look of the Droid, so I'm waiting until either my contract is up (possibly switch providers), or something better comes along were I can upgrade.

Full disclosure - Currently using a Blackberry Pearl, worked great at the start, but not worth the data charge considering how small the screen is...

Comment

Yeah, my Droid sucks. I can tether without rooting, multitask, use open source apps, it's 3D capable, and it doesn't drop calls. What fail.....

:D
              |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
                Yeah, my Droid sucks. I can tether without rooting, multitask, use open source apps, it's 3D capable, and it doesn't drop calls. What fail.....
                The only thing there that appeals to me is the tethering and, I suppose, the multitasking, although I've never really said, "Gee, I wish my iPhone could multitask..." Never had a dropped call. Don't know what "3D capable" means in terms of phones. I know that the apps don't compare to those in the App Store.

I'll just say again, that I can hardly wait for the competition to catch up with iPhone app development. Hardware is of little benefit without the applications to take advantage of it.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Well, I'm out of my league here as I just got into a smartphone (Nokia E63), though it's a entry model. I don't do half of the nice things you guys seem to be doing with them (like using them as a modem, installing countless apps, etc). Like Cingy said, the iPhone is basically the top-dog now and a large part is due to the availability of apps for the device. I can't even recommend a Nokia counterpart knowing the small number of apps available for Symbian-based phones. On a side note, the Nokia can multitask, though that's a bit limited as to what you can have running concurrently.

I bought one to check my email when I find a wifi hotspot, read/write Word docs, look at PowerPoint slides, on-the-fly idea taking, and basic organization (appointments and calender).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The 'official' android market site doesn't show a lot of apps. Try AndroLib instead, although I don't really use this site since its interface isn't that great. The marketplace app that comes preinstalled on the phone is decent.

I've never used an iPhone so I can't say how my Nexus One compares to it, but my phone has everything I need and more: GPS/map info for navigation and hiking, tethering, gaming, integration with google docs/calendar/mail, etc. Its ability to multitask is great too since I usually have 3-4 applications running at any give time.

Fragmentation is currently an issue, but Google supposedly is making the latest 2.1 version available to most, if not all smartphones; since the limiting factor is the carrier delaying upgrade deployment, this is one of the reasons I got a N1 since it receives OS updates directly from Google.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

In addition to androidlib, use cyrket.com. You can get info on three different markets all from one site.

Comment

I just don't understand having all these apps, and not having them somewhere official and centralised so people can get them. Also, the whole "Your phone can't get Android 2.1, but yours can" thing is just silly to me, if the phone is Android, it should get the update. End of story. All these things turn me off the positives, like the proper multi tasking, and camera.

Comment

Also, apparently the new iPhone just got leaked, like properly leaked:

Here is the leak:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/18/iphone-4g-proof/

And here it is in a better shot:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/17/i...4g-is-this-it/

Comment

I have a buddy who has an android phone and loves it. I think the difference with Apple vs android phones in terms of apps is Apple is closed you get the centralized system. Android phones can grab apps from multiple places. The window phones pre-apple had the same open system but a few folks put together centralized places like handango.

And as far as "tracking your phone" it is less about google and more about your carrier. And BTW, your carrier now can track you.
                            |TG-12th| asch
                            sigpic

Comment

I know, but my carrier knows a lot less about me than Google, but mainly that is just my paranoia kicking in. Still not sure what to do, I fell I should wait to June/July, then I will know more about a iPhone 4G and also if any of the HTC Android phones are coming out here..............

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X