AMD's Six-Core CPUs, Anyone Excited?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Six-Core CPUs, Anyone Excited?

It seems lately, all we've been talking about on here is Intel's i7s and new AMD graphics cards.

Any of you interested in the upcoming (possibly very soon upcoming) AMD Opteron Six-Core and Phenom II X6s?

Tom's Hardware: Phenom II X6

I mean, seriously the talk is 6-cores with AMD's own "Turbo" feature and it will all come under $300. Talk about being affordable and well featured.

Anyone preparing to jump on one these AMD six-cores when they release later in another month or so?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: AMD's Six-Core CPUs, Anyone Excited?

Not really until I see some firm performance stats and thermal deltas as compared to 1156 i7 chips. The AM3 memory controller (@8GB+) is not up to snuff compared to intel's offerings also.

For me to be excited, it must handily best the i7 930 at similar watts and have some thermal room to grow or be HTPC friendly.

Comment

Meh. It's great to see this stuff emerge, but realistically, I won't be building a new rig for a few more years. Then I'll be excited on whatever AMD brings out. :)

Comment

Glad I have a new mobo that supports it! For now, my quad core chip seems just fine. It's good to see them coming out with something new, though!
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Opteron already has a 6 core server processor but it is quite expensive. I'm rebuilding next year and will definitely take this cpu under advisement ( I was disappointed that AMD dropped development of an 8 core processor).
          Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

They got a heck of a fight right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
              For me to be excited, it must handily best the i7 930 at similar watts and have some thermal room to grow or be HTPC friendly.
              It seems you may be unfairly challenging to AMD. No doubt the benchmarks will be designed for Intel, the cost is not going to be the same considering the cost of the board for a 1366, and why would you use a gaming chip in an HTPC environment? It seems unrealistic.

Comment

i7 860 (1156 with HT!) is $300 and does -very- well at that pricepoint. So if there 6-core fishes in the same pool, it better give me a reason to think about it.

The board costs are a little higher, but not much in comparison to mid-range am3 boards. And the memory controller is better at high densities (straight from the OCZ rep as to why it's such a PITA to run 4X2GB DIMMs @ 1600 on AM3)

HTPC in one word summarizes quiet, and cool running. That's why I used it.

We'll see, for all I know this chip could be $200 at 65W (lol yea right) and offer tremendous value.

I'm brand agnostic, AMD owns the low-mid ends. But once your looking at an i5 750, amd doesn't compete nearly as well.

Comment

HTPC also embodies the same thing nettops and netbooks embody: low power consumption. What you're building sounds more like a high-horsepower SFF build (small general workhorses), rather than a HTPC (small, quiet, power-sipping, multimedia only systems - particularly application specific).

When it comes down to it, $100 saved is $100 saved. It might not seem like much if you're used to gurgling on high-end hardware and can't stand anything slower than top performance, but 90% of DIYers out there do not fall into particular market segment. I apologize if I sound rude on this point, but I have similar conversations with my brother. He falls into the "high-end consumer" category, whereas I'm in the weight everything and settle for something in between.

Besides, I didn't start the thread so we can rampage about how AMD might or might not beat Intel's current flagship chips. As history already proves, AMD's done that quite successfully once already.

At $300, the Phenom II X6 gives 6 physical cores vs. a i7-860 which has 4 physical cores. HT really doesn't count for diddly-doo. Take a look at a P4 w/ HT compared to a very first gen Core 2.

I do wish some the server admins or those who deploy distributed multi-threaded applications could chime in on the new chip (say Apophis or Shawn).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

sooooo lemme get this right ...my 130 dollar ASUS AM3 board I bought 7 mo's ago is going to be suited to run the new 6 core processors?......I win:)
                    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                      sooooo lemme get this right ...my 130 dollar ASUS AM3 board I bought 7 mo's ago is going to be suited to run the new 6 core processors?......I win:)
                      From the current sound of it: yes. In fact, if you have $300 saved, you might be looking at a 3.2 GHz 6-core CPU in your near future from AMD as a possibility. That stock speed may be higher as hinted by Tom's Hardware's article. AMD's implemented their version of Intel's Turbo on top of that, so almost no more need for OCing for those first-timers wanting to try it out.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I saw some ASUS am2+ boards that were claiming 6-core support lol. It is an upgrade win.

Comment

Hey guys, first post.

I skimmed through the article and I must say that I'm pretty impressed they were able to add 2 cores and more L1/L2 cache to the Phenom II X4 design and maintain the same TDP by simply improving their 45nm process technology. Although I'm not in the market for a new computer any time soon, I do look forward to seeing how the X6 does in benchmarks.
                          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            From the current sound of it: yes. In fact, if you have $300 saved, you might be looking at a 3.2 GHz 6-core CPU in your near future from AMD as a possibility. That stock speed may be higher as hinted by Tom's Hardware's article. AMD's implemented their version of Intel's Turbo on top of that, so almost no more need for OCing for those first-timers wanting to try it out.
                            my 945 Phenom II seems like a ton of CPU to me...even for gaming. I am almost at a loss as to how I would justify needing a different CPU to my wife >_<
                            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                              my 945 Phenom II seems like a ton of CPU to me...even for gaming. I am almost at a loss as to how I would justify needing a different CPU to my wife >_<
                              You're taking all your home videos and making them into a movie so she can watch on the big screen in the living room?
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X