Need a high capacity replacement drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a high capacity replacement drive

So over the Thanksgiving holiday (last year), I purchased a 1.5 TB Seagate external so I could continue to backup my home movie files and steam games backups (and other software). For the past few months, the hard drive has been clicking (yes it indeed sounds like it's on it's last legs). Every time it clicks, read/write slows down to a crawl. The clicking has gotten more and more frequent over the last 2 months that I'm highly concerned about potential failure.

So now I'm looking around NewEgg for a replacement drive. Either a external or internal (which provides some performance benefits).

I would like to have:
    - 1.5 TBs (maybe 1 TB)
    - under $140.

So far I've narrowed my choices down to:

($100) Seagate 1.5TB Internal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148337
    ($100) WD 1TB Internal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136284
    ($90) Samsung 1TB Internal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185
    ($130) WD 1.5TB External: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136396
    ($140) WD 1.5TB External: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136399
    - difference here: LCD readout display and 3 years warranty vs. 2 years for the $130 one.

I'm reading over customer feedback and it seems drive failures are quite high for all the internal drives mentioned above. For the external drives, the "WD SmartWare" software embedded into the firmware is causing loads of problems (and headaches). Seems a update was released to address it.

So now I'm juggling between buying another external and putting up with the slower transfer rates or getting a internal. I do realize failure rates increase with capacity (especially these 1TB+ drives that use multiple platters).

What do you guys think?

Think the 1.5TB Seagate internal is still worth the gamble?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Need a high capacity replacement drive

A tough call indeed, for the very reasons you stated. Although WD is a very popular brand, and they do make good drives, they've also been the only drives to ever fail on me. I've had great luck with my ancient 250 gb Hitachi (formerly IBM drives) Deskstar (aka the Deathstar). That drive had a bad reputation, but it's been bulletproof for me. What I'm getting at is that all drives across the board seem to have problems, while some of the same types of drives can last forever. I'd go with the one that has the lowest proven failure rate, or pretty much flip a coin. They're all a bit of a gamble.

Personally, I like the idea of external drives for movies. Sure they're slower, but they're good enough to stream movies off of, and you can take them to your friends houses or for when you travel. My brother has converted all his dvd's to mkv files and such, and has a bunch of small WD passport drives. He has them organized by genre. He has a passport for comedy, action, etc. He also has one for traveling that he loads up when he goes on the road, armed with his WD hd media player. Whenever he runs out of room on one, he simply buys another. Costco always has them on sale. It's kind of cool. Whenever he comes over to my place, he just brings over a hd and plugs it into my PS3, and we can watch movies that way. I like the little passports, because they're run off of usb power. On the flip side, you get way less gb/$.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

All right, gonna order the 1.5 TB Seagate. I'll just have to check the FW when I get it in case it needs a update. Other than that, I'm hoping to get all my 500 GBs of files transferred over so I can get this other Seagate external replaced. I'm even half tempted to remove the enclosure to see if it's a Maxtor underneath. I'm figuring the few hundred GBs is worth the price over the WD. I'm crossing fingers I don't have problems with it. Gonna mount inside my HDD bay.

I'm also hoping the "fail" issues are only limited to RAID configs and people not updating the to the patch firmware that address RAID dropouts.

Thanks War. Hitachi does make some nice drives, just wish I could find one in 1.5/2 TB capacity that doesn't cost $200+. As for those old deathstars (I mean Deskstars), the loud purring didn't mean drive failure (usually). I've got one the later Deskstars behind me in a old rig. It still has some of the old purring, but hasn't exhibited any "fail" signs.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Don't know if you saw this, and 2TB is bigger than you are looking for, but the full article might give you some direction on which one to pick:
        2TB hard drive review roundup: Samsung, Seagate and WD throw down

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

FWIW acreo, I've had one of the 1.5 TB seagate's since june of last year and have had 0 problems with it.

Comment

@Bam,

2 TB isn't more than I'm looking for. I'm looking to buy one every few years (or as long as it will last me) instead of buying a small one and then a year later needing yet another drive. I'm just shocked after I got my 500 GB WD external how quickly I filled it up with backups of important files. Stuff I wouldn't have bothered generating in the past since my primary form of backing up was DVDs (like Steam game backups, actually saving work I've done so I can reference it later, fonts, etc). I'm just not seeing any nice 2 TB drives that go for under $140. Most are about $160 or more.

I don't really want to step down to a 1TB drive after having this 1.5TB one. I figure now that I have roughly 750 GBs worth of backed up files, a 1.5TB should last me at least 2-3 years before I even begin to fill it (assuming it doesn't die on me).

And, of course, reading the Hot Hardware review is making me regret the WD enterprise drives aren't cheaper because of the promise of new tech: dual CPUs, "no touch head-to-platter" which seems to sound like potentially longer life spans.

Though at roughly $300 a pop, it'll be nice for the next rig in a few years.

@Bueller

Great to hear. Out of curiosity, which firmware did your drive come with? And did you patch it recently?

I just wish I could crack the enclosure without voiding the 1 year warranty on the drive, just so I could peek and see if it is a Seagate or if it's crap-ass Maxtor. That would give me a general idea of where Seagate might be headed. In that, I'll have to invest in the much more expensive "enterprise" lineups instead of any of the consumer ones (same would probably apply to WD if Seagate is going cheap on consumer grade products).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have two 250 GB seagate drives that I have worked out for the last few years that are still dead silent. I would recommend the seagate as they have had more consistently reliable drives over the years where I have seen reviews of the WD go up and down, indicating seagate has a more stable quality control system.
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

What about Seagate's 5 year warranty for the failing External HDD you currently have? Here's their Support/Warranty Link. I've had several HHD's replaced under warranty over the years through Seagate, WD, Hitachi etc...

Obviously, you need to back up your data on the "clicking" drive before it fails all together. Also, which model is your Drive?

:icon_frow
                |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                sigpic

Comment

This was in this morning's newegg email:

Direct link:
                  Western Digital AV-GP WD20EVDS 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                    Hot doggit! Ah, well, next time maybe.

@Zippy

I believe the 5 year warranty only extends to Enterprise drives now. None of the consumer drives or OEM consumer drives carry more than 3 years. In particular, I own the 1.5TB "Expansion" series drives, which only come with a measly 1 year warranty. I'm still within my year, so I'll be RMA'ing it after I back the data off of the drive.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

How about this one? We both have liked our previous Hitachis, so maybe this one's worth the gamble. I'm also interested in adding some hd's to my new rig for backing up movies.
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145276
                      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Seems about as good as anything else out there. Maybe I should get used to see more reported DOAs with these larger caps.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X