• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game booster

I have heard good things about this:

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Basically, are they true!?

Re: Game booster

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. God knows what the program actually does when you run it.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. God knows what the program actually does when you run it.
      i totally agree. Plus it says "Game Booster gives more CPU and RAM to your games, making your games running at the peak performance."- it's not just gonna "give you" more ram hahhahha is it an overclocking tool?
      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Apparently it actually works, however as the review says, if your computer can't run a game, this isn't going to magically help. It doesn't seem to have any malware or anything associated with it, though.
        http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10229569-1.html
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

It probably shuts off unneeded background processes while you play.
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Yeah I appreciate it is not going to make hardware appear over night, and I am not intending to use it, I just saw it mentioned multiple times on an ArmA forum over at BIS and people were swearing by it, I was wondering if anyone uses it, and what it does. Like over-clock, or clean registries?

Comment

Jeepo, I ran it on my older machine when I first started playing ArmA II and it didn't create any problems. My experience was that it did help.

Comment

The WOT Rating isn't so hot.

Comment

Now I know. I like that WOT site, gonna use the add on. I'm glad JeepO asked his question.

Comment

Again, if you're educated and knowledgeable about what goes into your system, game requirements, a little understanding about how games work (and possibly memory management), then there is no need to play dice with a program like this. It may close down some "unneeded programs", but overall that offers a marginal increase in performance. Though I'm skeptical what programs it would flag as "unneeded". Other things also would worry me. For example, in the past, similar programs also messed around with your registry thus causing all kinds of hell.

Given how cheap memory and hardware is now (price to performance), you're better off with some upgrades than installing some program that "boosts" your gaming performance.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Jeeps you are aware that actually know less about PC's than you do mate. However I have some experience with GameBooster and tbh I didn't notice much if any difference on my old rig. What did come to light was that, as suggested by Acreo, it can seriously mess about with your registry. It turns off all kinds of stuff and messed about with indexing and such. I know people say that indexing can be safely turned off but I have also heard that overtime the cumulative effect can be bad. A very good tech guy I know basically said 'don't use em' in reference to these programs. He went on to point out that if you know what you are doing you would simply turn off any appropriate programs yourself if there was a genuine net gain to be had, if you don't, how will you know if this automated process is turning off stuff it shouldn't. Does more harm than good imo. Software version of Snakeoil!

Comment

jeepo take it from your genetic cousin, use it I love it.

Comment

I use it fine.. For me running games on a not so mediocre, built in processor, laptop, I use all the help I get. And yes it does improve the game somewhat. its not going to make it magically run like a hardcore desktop but it helps.

In maps where I usually run smooth it makes it run smoother. maps with lag like fallujah it makes the lag a little less. So I say for low grade game machines like I have its a usefull tool. If not well then u dont rly need it do you

Comment

I used it for awhile and didnt see a lot of difference so i got rid of it. Is shuts off a lot of background stuff thats not needed while gaming, you have to remember to turn it back to normal when you are done gaming. Like anything, they can claim all they want and I guess if you want to see results you might, but it could be your mind screwing with you.

Comment

Right from their site
                              It works by defragmenting game directories, temporarily shutting down background processes, cleaning RAM, and intensifying processor performance. That means you can keep all the features of operating systems ready for when you need them, but turn them off when you are ready to get down to serious business – gaming.
                              It's a good idea especially for large games like arma 2 but by no means necessary. you could achieve this on your own too but this is an app all wrapped into one.

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X