Suggested formats for DVD/Blu-Ray rips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested formats for DVD/Blu-Ray rips

Well, I think I'm ready to start backing up my dvd's and blu-rays onto my hd. I know how to rip them easily enough, thanks to the wonderful sticky thread here at TG. Where I'm stuck is in choosing a good file format.
    Here's what I want:

Compatibility with my PS3
    Compatibility with WD media players
    HD (720p would probably be good enough to maintain smaller file sizes, but the option of 1080p would be nice)
    Soft Sub-titles (able to turn on-off, select languages)
    Alternate audio tracks (not a necessity, but would like the option)

There are so many formats to choose from! H.264, MKV, divx, etc. What is your personal favorite format of choice?
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Suggested formats for DVD/Blu-Ray rips

Ideally HD quality video would be encoded to h.264 (alternatively x264) for the reason is that the codec offers excellent picture quality per megabyte. You could however still encode to DivX or Xvid. The issue is whether or not the player will support h.264/x264 codec videos. I don't remember off-hand if WD Live has issues with 264 video (you'd have to check). As for container, I'd probably stick to AVI. Some settop HTPC players/media centers aren't able to read MKV files as that particular file extension isn't supported (ex: Windows Media Center).

Now whatever codec you decide on, the question that remains is how high of a bitrate are you going to use (which depends on what size display you're playing back on)?

Typically broadcast HDTV is about 13-19 megabits per second video bitrate (17-19 for OTA HD broadcasts, 9 to about 14 for DirectTV/satelite broadcasts). So say you want to keep it at 19 mbps vid bitrate. For a 120 minute video typical size is about 16+ GBs (audio is less than 1 GB usually).

I'll put down a real example here.

I have some home video rips (was recorded using a nice HD cam from a friend). I ended up transcoding them to AVIs using DivX at 8 mbps (originally 19 mbps) video bitrate. Still looks amazing on the 32" set in the living room and I can't tell the difference in quality from 19 mpbs to 8 mbps. HOWEVER, if you have any videos have far away shots, you will start noticing some pixelation up close in some areas of high detail. If most of the shots are relatively close, not much of a difference.

Of course at the time, I thought 17 GBs was way too big for a 120 minute HD video. Now the matter is whether or not I have enough hard drive space to store HD content at whatever bitrate I need it at.
    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 04-21-2010, 04:32 PM.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Wow. 16+ GBs! That's huge! I assume that's for full hd, and not a standard dvd, right? Thanks for all the info. From what I saw on newegg, the WD player I want supports h.264. I believe the PS3 does too.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
        Wow. 16+ GBs! That's huge! I assume that's for full hd, and not a standard dvd, right? Thanks for all the info. From what I saw on newegg, the WD player I want supports h.264. I believe the PS3 does too.
        Well the HD and BR standards don't specify the video bitrate, only resolution. So yes, if you count broadcast HD as "full HD", then it'll have to be at least 19 mbps, which is roughly 16 GBs for every 2 hours of video. (8 per hour). Typical DVDs range from 1.5 mbps to 11 (very rare). Usually, you won't find a DVD's video bitrate any higher than 3 or 4 in my experience.

I think generally if you're gonna rip to "HD" quality, keep at 8+ (that's 1 meg per second = ~3.5 GBs per hour of video). It should suffice unless you have a very high-res display (say 2560 x 1600) or a HDTV in excess of 50 inches.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X