Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's 2011 CPUs require new motherboards, start saving those pennies now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's 2011 CPUs require new motherboards, start saving those pennies now?

Personally, I'm not too happy about this, and I'm guessing folks that were looking at the 1156 they currently have as good to go for an upgrade aren't going to be happy either.

Intel's 2011 CPUs require new motherboards, start saving those pennies now?
    and
    Sandy Bridge 32nm CPU socket is called "H2"

But at least there will be Sata6 and PCI-e 3.0

Also in Intel news, they will be releasing a cheaper 6 core CPU very soon just as I suspected:
    Core i7 970 to ship soon

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Intel's 2011 CPUs require new motherboards, start saving those pennies now?

I tried to explain this before to everyone who was jumping at 1156 cpu's. I knew they'd do this.

Yes i'll be saving for this chipset. :P

I wouldn't be suprised if hardware companies started going to long development periods in major tech changes with the recent economy problems. I'm betting that consumers won't be buying new computers every 12-14 months now.

- -

Comment

No I'm predicting AMD"s stock prices will start to rise shortly. If Intel continues this (and it is looking more-and-more like money grubbing), I might not invest in a Intel-based system in the future. Hate having to replace my mobo every year because some fanatic decided every new chip should get it's own socket.

At least AMD is squeezing all it can out of the AM2+ socket (and perhaps even AM3) before going on to some new socket. It's starting to feel like the switch from $50 games to $200+ per year MMO games (which do not live on after the servers die off).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
        I'm betting that consumers won't be buying new computers every 12-14 months now.
        Skipping a generation is always a smart move. Bleeding edge=$

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          No I'm predicting AMD"s stock prices will start to rise shortly. If Intel continues this (and it is looking more-and-more like money grubbing), I might not invest in a Intel-based system in the future. Hate having to replace my mobo every year because some fanatic decided every new chip should get it's own socket.

At least AMD is squeezing all it can out of the AM2+ socket (and perhaps even AM3) before going on to some new socket. It's starting to feel like the switch from $50 games to $200+ per year MMO games (which do not live on after the servers die off).
          See, I was thinking the same thing till reading the comments in the article and someone reminded me:
          during the tenure of the Socket 775 @ Intel, AMD went through the following sockets: 939, AM2, AM2+, and AM3
          At least I will be skipping the 1156 gen.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
            See, I was thinking the same thing till reading the comments in the article and someone reminded me:

At least I will be skipping the 1156 gen.
            Keep in mind that AMD at least made AM2, AM2+, and AM3 into transitory sockets whereby when AM2+ came out, a lot of boards could do AM2/AM2+ sockets and the same applied when AM3 came out. The same does not hold true for Intel going from LGA775 to LGA1156 or LGA1366. None of the chips for either of those three LGA sockets are compatible with each other.

Look at where the Pentium Dual-Cores are at. Most of them are being moved to LGA1156 even though they're quite capable and fine on LGA775. I'm just not liking where so many industries are headed. It smells bad and really makes me wonder if any of those big-heads ever took a ethics course.

Now it seems they're taking it a bit further and releasing a new socket for every new chip they release. This is going to lead to market confusion and many other things. I'm not sure if this is indeed their set path, but if it is, lots of angry customers are gonna be popping out from the treeline.

AMD has two options that I see:

1) capitalize on this money-grubbing move by Intel and solidify it's base even more and improve competition in hopes of at least driving CPU prices down rather than up.

or

2) go the same direction Intel is going and screw the market over and act as if they and Intel are the sole monopolies in the business (thereby effectively relegating VIA to some substandard level).

Might sound great as a business plan. Monopolize the market, drive prices up, line your pockets. I would even say, taken to an extreme, some societies would resort to violence or other means of acquiring the goods.

So in short, in two years this is what I expect:

1) I have an even harder time keeping track with which chip goes into which socket on the Intel side.

2) If I recommend someone for the Intel path, I have to say "it's gonna cost you and confuse you".

3) How long does X chip last me? I have no clue, perhaps 1 year. Perhaps less.

4) What's AMD doing?

The sad part is people will and are going to buy into it. Just like they did with MMO games and are still doing. Doesn't seem like a few hundred is too much for a time-limited game. Hell, even us die-hard holdouts are giving in since not enough people are standing up to try and compromise or change the industry's path. And I can go on and on.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

lol Chicken Little (that's your new name), what the heck are you talking about? Nothing different than what's always been done.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                lol Chicken Little (that's your new name), what the heck are you talking about? Nothing different than what's always been done.
                Ba-gob! *makes more chicken noises*
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The new socket is probably because they're realizing what a pain it is to shoehorn SATA3/USB3 into the current one without hobbling some feature due to bandwidth constraints. Just a random thought I had, because it doesn't make sense with the 1366 platform they've been touting as a long-legged socket.

Comment

Most people don't buy new computers or even processors more often than two or three years, sometimes longer, and I would bet most people upgrade their motherboard when they get around to upgrading their CPU. I sure wish I had the income to keep everything bleeding edge, but like me, most people are comfortable with turning down a setting or two and holding off another year before doing a system wide upgrade.

This is not really unexpected, although kudos to AMD for multigenerational compatibility.
                    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I'm glad i bought a generation behind, i have a 780i board that has 3 PCE-e slots (only gonna use one with a GTCX260) and a 775 slot. The RAM is maxed out at 8 gigs for DDR2 RAM, so my next build will have to be a complete new one for any actual improvement.

Since i don't mind having my games look REALLY ugly, play on a non-wide screen format (1280*1024) and the fact that i don't really play the most demanding games, i won't be upgrading till i get REALLY sick of Vista.
                      |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

there will be lots of goodies by 2011 i'm sure. I'd love to see an onboard ssd that keeps a boot manager on it with some diagnostic tools. Hell just put UBCD on it.

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X