Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help: Computer Won't Boot Into Windows After POST!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help: Computer Won't Boot Into Windows After POST!

I need some help and I'm frustrated as to what is now wrong.

Here's the story and what I've done so far:

I bought and just 2 hours ago put in a 1.5 TB SATA300 Seagate HDD into my computer. The line of thought is that the internal will replace the 1.5 TB Seagate external that seems to be on the brink of dying.

I already have a 320 GB Seagate installed with Windows 7 64-bit (sig rig).

I mounted the hard drive, plugged in the SATA power and SATA data cable and double-checked my connections.

I put everything back together and proceed to start up my computer. It starts, POSTs, and then gives me the following error message:

A disk read error occurred.
    Press CTRL+ALT+Del to restart.
    I restart the rig and enter BIOS to find out it's listing my external as a boot device rather than my primary boot hard disk. BIOS auto detects both my 320 GB and 1.5 TB drives. So I power down the rig and unplug my external drive.

I turn it back on and go back into BIOS and I see the new 1.5 TB drive is set as the default boot drive. Turn it back off, unplugged the 1.5 TB drive, and turn it back on. Went back into BIOS and now my 320 GB is the default boot device.

I figure I'll boot into Windows then plug the SATA data cable on the 1.5 TB drive again, and then format it to NTFS so I can begin using it.

Saved and rebooted. System POSTs successfully, then when it comes time to load Windows, the HDD activity light is solid and the HDD is just spinning. Black and nothing happens. I restart and get the same thing.

So a few possibilities are bouncing around in my head and I don't know what I'm supposed to do now:

1) Do go and reinstall Windows?

2) Did installing the new drive somehow mess up my other drive?

3) Did I need to set up a jumper for the hard drives? (No, right? Since they're SATA drives...?)

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Need Help: Computer Won't Boot Into Windows After POST!

The first thing I would try is to reset your CMOS. Unplug the PSU, poll the CMOS battery and press the power button a few times. If that doesn't work, try repairing your boot sector with your Windows disk. I assume you've checked your boot device priority in your BIOS as well. I get the same error sometimes when I try to boot with a flash drive but it doesn't give me any problems when I remove the device and try again..
    sigpic

Comment

I did the next best thing and flashed my BIOS to the latest 2208 build. Still no luck.

Going to put Windows 7 on a flash and attenmpt to repair Windows.

Since I haven't done a WIndows Repair since XP, anyone think they can type out what steps I need to take with WIndows 7?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've never done it with 7 but in Vista, there is an option in the installer that says "repair".
        sigpic

Comment

See what your AHCI settings are like in your BIOS. If you turned them on for this new drive, WIndows won't want to boot propertly, because you may have not have had it set that way before. You can pre-emptively turn it on with the registry in Windows before installing a new HD. If this is the case, turn it off in your BIOS, and set it back to IDE. This may or may not help you, but I had a similar issue yesterday when screwing around with BIOS settings. No Windows repair necessary.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

war has the right idea, AHCI might have flipped on/off in the bios reset.
            AHCI needs to be enable to hot-swap sata secondary drives. But you have to stick with what the original setting the first drive was installed with.

On that theme, you can set prioritiy in the bios as to which drive gets booted off of, resolving your initial issue as well.

Comment

All right finally got it. Was having both hard drives go through the same power link. Ran a new line from the PSU and got it back up and running. Unfortunately, I already reformatted. So now, I spend the rest of the day getting everything reinstalled and quite a few new games redownloaded.

It was not boot priority. It was the drives fighting for power over each other and thus one or both didn't get enough juice to function properly and thus BIOS had trouble detecting my drives.

1.5 TB is obviously more power hungry as my problem was getting my boot drive to be detected and show up in BIOS and Windows Install.
              The 1.5 TB
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X