Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Cheap Bastage hates the idea of $60.00 (US) PC Games...anyone else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Cheap Bastage hates the idea of $60.00 (US) PC Games...anyone else?

Ok Folks.. we have been living in the $49.99 (US) market for PC games for years..and I got used to that... but now seeing the $59.99 games... a mere $10 increase.. has got me hating publishers and putting off buying new releases.. I'm not sure if I have been spoiled by STEAM Sales or what.. but the thought of the Extra $10 makes me ill..

I patiently watch the weekly Steam deals.. Assassins Creed 2 and the new Splinter Cell will be mine... Just maybe in 6 months.. Arrg..
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: This Cheap Bastage hates the idea of $60.00 (US) PC Games...anyone else?

Originally posted by peardog View Post
    Ok Folks.. we have been living in the $49.99 (US) market for PC games for years..and I got used to that... but now seeing the $59.99 games... a mere $10 increase.. has got me hating publishers and putting off buying new releases.. I'm not sure if I have been spoiled by STEAM Sales or what.. but the thought of the Extra $10 makes me ill..

I patiently watch the weekly Steam deals.. Assassins Creed 2 and the new Splinter Cell will be mine... Just maybe in 6 months.. Arrg..
    It's more stomachable than what some publishers are doing (ex: Activision and Activision-Blizzard). Would you rather pay $60 for 1/3 of a game? That's $180 for a full game. (Yes, I'm referring to Starcraft 2.) Then pay $15 per map pack? (Cough: MW2 Map Pack for PC)

No, I don't want to pay $60, but I did for MW2 and I rather pay $60 than many times that just to get a full game.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

@ Acrea Aeneas

Where did you read that the subsequent Starcraft 2 games will also cost $60? I don't remember Blizzard stating anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
        @ Acrea Aeneas

Where did you read that the subsequent Starcraft 2 games will also cost $60? I don't remember Blizzard stating anything like that.
        Sorry, I should have clarified, it's speculation at this point. The "regular" edition for Wings of Liberty is priced at $60 right now. Some are speculating the Zerg and Protoss campaigns could also cost $60 each. It may cost say $20 each. Either way, you pay more than $60 for the full game.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          Sorry, I should have clarified, it's speculation at this point. The "regular" edition for Wings of Liberty is priced at $60 right now. Some are speculating the Zerg and Protoss campaigns could also cost $60 each. It may cost say $20 each. Either way, you pay more than $60 for the full game.
          Well, when it comes to devs like Blizz, that I know I can count on to put out a quality product, and who I know are dedicated to squishing bugs, well, I'm willing to give them more than what everyone else is asking for.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I will wait a few months then buy at 29.99-39.99 if it is a really good game. If it is an OK single player game I will wait till it gets done less than $10.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

As far as I am aware it is just Activision that has been pushing the price point up.(so don't be surprised if they do it with Blizzards upcoming releases) They do whatever it takes to milk the consumer for all their money, whether its higher prices, DLC or flooding the market with sequels.(guitar hero, CoD)

Since there is no licensing fee to make games for the PC it certainly isn't appropriate for the console and pc versions to be the same price.
              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I actually would not have any issue paying $100+ for a quality game that I can a lot of life out of. I can't tell you how many hours I sunk into BF2. If I played a game for only 100 hours that is still $1 / hour. I've probably put several thousand hours into BF2.

Now I would take issue paying for a game where there are major bugs (i.e. VoIP) that are never fixed or if there isn't a demo that allows me to test performance on my machine. But in the end I still look at it from a cost / hour perspective.
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
                  I actually would not have any issue paying $100+ for a quality game that I can a lot of life out of. I can't tell you how many hours I sunk into BF2. If I played a game for only 100 hours that is still $1 / hour. I've probably put several thousand hours into BF2.

Now I would take issue paying for a game where there are major bugs (i.e. VoIP) that are never fixed or if there isn't a demo that allows me to test performance on my machine. But in the end I still look at it from a cost / hour perspective.

I agree completly, except for the problem that most games don't give you the long life that BF2 has. I can look over at my shelf full of old game boxes and about 90% of them didn't give me anywhere near the life I thought they would. Sure, right now I would have paid $100 for BF2, but I didn't know that at the time it came out. In fact, after the first couple of weeks it came out I was close to giving up and moving on until PR did an early public release and starting giving me more of the game I was looking for.

The only other games would probably be FarCry and ARMA1, and Old Ghost Recon. I spent thousands of hours in FarCry MP and on modding it, and lots of time in ARMA1.

On the other hand, I would be PISSED if I had spent more than I did on Crysis, Crysis Warhead, ARMA2, Gears of War, GRAW 1 and 2, Rainbow6, etc, etc, etc...........

Right now BC2 is kind of in the middle ground for me. If they keep releasing new stuff, it might make it up to the point of FarCry but not sure yet. Right now it has covered it's $50 cost, but not more than that.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I paid $17.86 for BF2142. I paid $30 or so for the BF2 set, and I regret that already. I got impatient and paid $45 for BC2, and that is far more than I'm happy about paying. If I'm going to be looking at spending $60 -- or more -- I will find other things to do with my time.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                    --BlackMirror
                    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                    --Blackraven93

Comment

If Blizzard came up to me and said, "Y'know, we agreed to $40 for Starcraft 15 years ago, but we really should've asked for $50, so if you enjoyed it, would you mind giving us another $10?", I'd give 'em $10.

I'm talking about Blizz, not Activision, mind you...

I'm with Asch on this. The problem is knowing which game is going to be worth that much... I can only come up with three reliable devs that put out the kind of work that I would shell out for up front: Blizz, Sid Meier, and Valve.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I'm starting to lean more into the BioWare camp. I picked up ME2 for just over $20 and am on my fourth play through (at about 34 hours a pop). After the last few releases, I've slowed down and wait for a sale and actual player feedback before making a decision. The only game I'd spend $100 to own would be a brand new CSS. MoH, Crysis2, and Brink are the only titles I'm looking at as of now and I won't purchase them on release day.
                        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

20+ years ago I remember paying $50 for games on my Amiga. Games up until now have been at the same price point for over 20 years, despite offering much more in terms of content and replayability.

I'm not saying all games are worth $50 or $60, but I don't think they are expensive overall. Just a night out on the town costs more than that. As asch said above, I would also pay $100+ for a game that gives me as many hours of enjoyment as the BF2 series did.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                            Since there is no licensing fee to make games for the PC it certainly isn't appropriate for the console and pc versions to be the same price.
                            PC games require more extensive hardware testing and coding, making up for the excuse of a license fee for console games.
                            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Games like BF2 would be worth $60 IF they worked better. I LOVED LOVED LOVED BF2 when it first came out. i played it for hours every night. It ran great on my computer. High frame count and no network issues. And then they came out with the dreaded first patch, it ran way slower, I had major connection issues, and I had a crash-to-desktop problem ever since until the 1.5 patch, which took them like 4 years to come out with. Stupid EA. They made me lose out on almost 4 years of gameplay on an otherwise fantastic game. If they could improve quality control to the point of Blizzard, then yes, the game would be worth even more to me.
                              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X