Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best VOIP software for small groups/ease of use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best VOIP software for small groups/ease of use?

I'm trying to set up a VOIP server for myself, my brothers, and some of my friends so we can talk to each other while we play games.

I spent a day or to trying to set up a Teamspeak server, and also a Vent server. I tried to set up the port forwarding properly, but no matter what happened I couldn't get it to work.

I want to give it another shot, and I was wondering if you folks could weigh in on some things.

1. What's the easiest VOIP server to set up?

2. What server provides the best ease of use for a small group of players?

I'm going to keep trying to tackle the port forwarding thing, but I'd appreciate any advice. Worst comes to worse I might just rent a voice server.

Re: Best VOIP software for small groups/ease of use?

I dont have any experience with vent, but when I had a TS server set up at some point last year, it was pretty straight forward. I didnt have any problems getting people to be able to connect.

Comment

Steam voice chat? No server required and decent voice quality.
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

You can also host your own TS3 server. You don't even need a license for it unless you're making money from it (non-commercial). It takes very little resources (could do it off of a old box) and requires little bandwidth if it's just you and some friends.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i personaly have always loved teamspeak due to the channel comments. ventrilo has alittle better quality then teamspeak 3. i have no experience with mumble but it sounds to be a rip from vent from what i hear. most people probly use ventrilo. id say check um all out

Comment

Originally posted by cobra265 View Post
            i personaly have always loved teamspeak due to the channel comments. ventrilo has alittle better quality then teamspeak 3. i have no experience with mumble but it sounds to be a rip from vent from what i hear. most people probly use ventrilo. id say check um all out
            All three basically use the same codecs, so Mumble is not a rip of Vent. As I've used all three quite a bit, they're all basically in the same voice quality league now. With the release of TS3, it's now almost indiscernable from Vent and Mumble's voice quality. In terms of feature set: 1. TS3, 2. Ventrilo, 3. Mumble (actually it would be quite low compared to other VoIP programs out there as it's quite simplistic).

Unfortunately, TS and Mumble still are the only ones that you can cost effectively setup yourself and host it from your own box at home. For Vent, you still need to rent it from a "authorized dealer".
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Port forwarding will be necessary for any server, game or VOIP, if you run it behind a NAT router. (Which you should.) Only the router for the server needs to have ports forwarded. Clients don't need any special router settings.

What router are you using? What did you do to set up forwarding?
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X