Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand of Radeon 5870?

Hello.

I'm building my first system and was wondering if it makes a difference what manufacturer's version of the Radeon HD5870 I buy. Is there any real difference between them or are they all essentially the same?

Thanks

Re: Brand of Radeon 5870?

The differences come down to how good of a cooler it carries, the warranty coverage (and customer support), and the included accessories (like DVI cable, driver CD, etc).

With that said, there'd only be a few brands I would entrust $300+ to: ASUS, Sapphire, MSI, Powercolor, and XFX. I highly suggest you examine the pictures of each card to see if they include a good cooler and then look up reviews of that particular brand's HD5870 to see how it performs. Then make a educated purchase from there.

Off the top of my head, Sapphire's Vapor-X 5870 is really good in that it has a great cooler and is well known for well made hardware that lasts with good support. XFX cards currently carry their "double lifetime" warranty guarantee. Basically, if you sell it off, the next owner still gets a lifetime warranty.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I 2nd what Acreo said. Spot on.
      If you do end up finding 2 cards that have very good coolers with low noise, good warranties (like 3+ years), and good reviews, then it will come down to which has some extras you might find useful. Like do they have certain converter plug you need, or do they come with a free game you have been looking to get anyway.

Also, something to really look at with the coolers is not only how good they cool, but what they do with the air they push. Some coolers do an awesome job keeping the card cool, but exhaust the hot air inside your computer case. Others will do the same cooling job, but exhaust the hot air out of the back of the case. Unless you have a very good case with lots of fans, I would be looking more towards the ones that shoot the air out the back.

I will mention XFX just started selling ATI cards, as they used to only sale Nvidia, and people are always very happy with their warranty coverage and quality. Nvidia is supposed to be pissed with them for starting to sell ATI cards.

I actually have this bookmarked and check it daily:
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on%20HD%205870

Even if you find a better deal on another site like Mwave.com or Zipzoomfly.com, Newegg is still the place to go to look at other buyer reviews as well as info about the cards and good pictures.
      Don't forget you can usually find some really good deals on newegg if you do a combo deal, so if you maybe wanted to save some cash and pic up a new power supply to power the card, or some new memory or something, it is worth looking into. The availability of a combo deal with one card and not another would help me personally decide between 2 cards that were otherwise equal.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Very nice to know, I wasn't sure XFX was a trusted ATi partner. Having used nvidia for years, I'm considering getting a 5870 as well. Newegg has an XFX for 409.99 + 8.95 tax.
        Semper Fi, Marines.

Comment

I had a Gigabyte 5770. Complete garbage. Lousy cooling and very flimsy build quality. I found that odd, since their motherboards are some of the best. I RMA'd it and ended up buying an XFX 5830. High build quality, excellent cooler, fantastic packaging (aesthetic only, but it's nice when you spend tons of money), and a free copy of Alien Vs. Predator! Don't overlook the 5830. It's proved to be an EXCELLENT card performance wise, and will save you some money. However, if you have the budget, which it appears you do, the 5870 will make you the envy of all of us. :)
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I have a XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB PCIe DDR5. I bought it 6 to 9 months ago and very happy with it. I use the Catalyst Control Center to watch the temps and manually add fan speed as needed, at 50% it is rather quiet but at 80% and aboue it gets loud but when I'm gaming I don't notice it.
            The Old Guy
            kin3
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
              I had a Gigabyte 5770. Complete garbage. Lousy cooling and very flimsy build quality. I found that odd, since their motherboards are some of the best. I RMA'd it and ended up buying an XFX 5830. High build quality, excellent cooler, fantastic packaging (aesthetic only, but it's nice when you spend tons of money), and a free copy of Alien Vs. Predator! Don't overlook the 5830. It's proved to be an EXCELLENT card performance wise, and will save you some money. However, if you have the budget, which it appears you do, the 5870 will make you the envy of all of us. :)
              Their mobos were pretty lousy in the past too. Only recently have they gotten much better (and fly up people's want lists). I remember having several issues with my old Gigabyte Socket 478 board (memory controller, BIOS update failures, etc).
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Their mobos were pretty lousy in the past too. Only recently have they gotten much better (and fly up people's want lists). I remember having several issues with my old Gigabyte Socket 478 board (memory controller, BIOS update failures, etc).
                I had a Gigabyte board for my Athalon 1700+ that lasted a good 6 years that was purchased back in 2003 or so, replaced with a board that had more options in 2007. Was the shoddy period between then and now? I'm looking at one of their newer boards because of how happy I was with that old one.
                |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                  I had a Gigabyte board for my Athalon 1700+ that lasted a good 6 years that was purchased back in 2003 or so, replaced with a board that had more options in 2007. Was the shoddy period between then and now? I'm looking at one of their newer boards because of how happy I was with that old one.
                  I've gotten 3 Gigabyte boards in the last 2 years that have been nothing but solid. Two replaced nearly brand new DFI boards that died on both mine (heavy gaming) and my dad's (lite everything) machines.

I have an XFX 5850 and am happy with it. Like all video cards, the fan idles to low, but ATI makes it easy to correct this with the control center. I'm told that cards with the fan in the middle make less noise overall but I can't attest to that since I've never had one.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                    Mines was a early 2005 board. Perhaps the AMD side did not see issues? I know I wasn't the only one suffering problems with my GA board back then as I've read problems elsewhere during that period. RAM compatibility/issues were what I was seeing the most of what people posted as I was having that issue. I would power it up and get a blank black screen. No POST and yet fans come on, HDD's running, etc. After swapping in-and-out over 6 pairs of RAM and 2 RMAs (and bought another 478 board to test the CPU and RAM which turned up fine), I just gave up and replaced mines with a ASUS board. And no, it was not a budget board. Paid over $150 for it back during the Pentium 4 Prescott era.

Anyways, delta228, did you narrow down your choices?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      Anyways, delta228, did you narrow down your choices?
                      I'm leaning towards the XFX 5870. Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

Originally posted by delta228 View Post
                        I'm leaning towards the XFX 5870. Thanks for the advice guys.
                        Make sure you register your card, so you can get act on the warranty if you need to.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X