Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone/iTouch radio/alarm clock recommendations

I mean something like this.

Do you have one you're happy with? Did you have one and it died after a week? I've got a dozen different ones open right now, but I'm pretty demanding of my interfaces and for the most part product photos don't tell me what I want to know.

I'll update this thread with some specific models (the one above was provided as context, not a vote for or against), but I'd rather get some untainted opinions first :)

Oh, I should add that I'll be using the device with an iPod Touch 2G, not an iPhone -- iTouch compatibility is a must (though I haven't yet seen a unit that supported the iPhone but not the iTouch).

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
    --BlackMirror
    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
    --Blackraven93

Re: iPhone/iTouch radio/alarm clock recommendations

I have been looking at these for about a year now and still haven't really found the one I want or am willing to pay for. The closest is this sony one that gets some good reviews.
    Sony Speaker Dock Clock Radio with 7-Inch LCD for iPod / iPhone (Black)

The price has dropped some finally, but I think I'll wait till it hits around $100.

Check out this picture:
    http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/displa...set-166666.jpg

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have an older model iHome and it works great with my iPod video. I've tried it with my iPhone 2G and it worked but I don't have the dock adapter for it so I don't use it with the phone. I was just curious if it could control it and it had no problem.

The iHome iH9 says it supports the iPod Touch 2G so it should be fine. The remote is works fine with it and I imagine it's the same as mine where you need line of sight to the front of the alarm clock. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the newer models but my old one doesn't put the iPod to sleep if I press pause. It'll stay awake indefinitely. I thought it would go to sleep after a period of being paused but you actually have to press the off button on the iHome to put the docked device to sleep. It's not a huge deal but something that you might want to know.

Other than that, I don't know what else to say about the iHome. It works and I don't know what else you want to know about it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Bamboo, that looks very appealing, actually! Given that the best (or nearly so) price I could find is from Amazon, I may just go ahead and get it. Camel's pricing history has it fluctuating by about $5 below current price, so I'm not going to wait very long.

As for what is important to me, well... That's a though one. Features alone are not enough; they have to be well-executed. I've got a massive hate on for thoughtless, careless design. I'm referring to things like my old cellphone, which would let me insert digits anywhere in the saved number, but would only erase them from the back. I'm very much thinking of the SkyFi 3 XM receiver I have, where to change the backlight brightness level -- which you have to do twice daily to avoid being blinded in the evening and to see the screen in daylight -- you have to navigate through four different menus.

So some things that may or may not be an issue with the so aptly named Sony ICF-CL75iP
        Does the display brightness auto-adjust to dim after a period of inactivity?
        Does the alarm build up in volume or come on at whatever the volume setting was used last, whether on the iPod or the dock itself?
        Do unpredictable things happen when the iPod is plugged in or unplugged? (say, changing the alarm settings or turning the alarm off completely, if it was set to use music from the iPod...)
        Do you have to go through seventeen different steps to set the alarm?
        Am I going to slap the iPod while aiming for the snooze button, and potentially snap the connector? (likely not an issue with this design, but I was worried about some of the others)

Those are just a few questions I'd love to know the answer to, before buying the device.

Now it's my turn for Show & Tell. Sadly, it's not much, which is why I asked for recommendations in the first place :)

The most helpful review I've found was this one, for all that the Sony unit isn't included. The most promising of the lineup was the JBL On Time (no. 8), but programming the device with that miniscule screen made me rather concerned.

The one tempting contender was the iHome iP88G, purely because of its ability to plug in two iPods at once (my own and my wife's). But feedback from current owners suggested the unit had a recurring problem with charging only one of the two devices, when both were plugged in. So, pass.

Overall, I was rather disappointed that the products did not seem to be all that different from each other (until Bamboo's link, that is!). They're largely boxy, with a central front-side dock for the iPod, and two speakers on the sides. Virtually all have an LCD, but a significant proportion does no more with that display than a regular alarm clock would. As for the actual interaction, that's where I suspect the differences will make or break these devices, but I don't have the funds, time, or inclination to go through 20 RMAs with Amazon, with no guarantee of an actual device I like at the end of the process.

I'll post impressions of the Sony unit once I've had a chance to play with it.

Thanks!

--BlackMirror
        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
        --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
          I'll post impressions of the Sony unit once I've had a chance to play with it.

Thanks!
          Please do. I'm sitting on the fence about getting it. I do have a $40 credit to BestBuy, and was just going to say screw it and get something there, but BB wants $150 for it. Maybe I'll use one of those 12% off coupons they keep sending me with the credit and get it.

Make sure you notice though that on Amazon, it isn't amazon selling it. It is through one of their vendors.
          Means for one thing you will have to pay shipping.
          Might want to consider getting it at Buy.com, which I have always been very happy with ordering from. It is a few $ more, but free shipping.
          http://www.buy.com/prod/icf-cl75ip-d...212810120.html

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Just throwing this out there: "There's an app for that"
            (Ugh, that was more cheesy than I thought it would be.)

There are a couple of alarm clock apps out there which display the clock on your iPhone/iPod Touch's screen and have customizable alarms (including your own music).
            So, if you're looking for the alarm more than the radio, check out the app store. You can even get some sort of cheap stand to hold it upright on your nightstand.

Comment

Celestial, as soon as they develop an app that remotely charges the iPod without it being plugged into anything, I'll be all over that :)

--BlackMirror
              --Blackraven93

Comment

Well, you are plugging it into the iHome station... :p

Comment

Damn. I just read the Amazon reviews for the device, and went back on my purchase decision. The two main reasons were its tendency to crash instead of sounding the alarm (seriously, Sony?), and the flimsiness of the dock. The reported low quality of sound was a serious third, too. Sorry, Bamboo!

--BlackMirror
                  --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
                    Well, you are plugging it into the iHome station... :p
                    See, I thought you were suggesting the alarm clock apps as a replacement for that.

Here's the thing: I'm not going to spend $50+ (or $130 in this case) on a glorified charger. It had better offer some additional advantage. Right now my wife, who uses her iPod far more and in more ways than I do -- it's essentially her organizer and work calendar -- keeps forgetting to plug it in during the day. Since she's also using it as an alarm clock, she has to either give that up or start sleeping next to the computer in order to have the iPod plugged in. In retrospect, I really should have made "charges the iPod reliably and doesn't lose ability to dock with iPod after a month" as the deal-breaker feature, but I -- foolishly, it turns out -- assumed that was a given.

Wasn't Sony *good* at design at one time?

Back to the drawing board...

--BlackMirror
                    --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                      See, I thought you were suggesting the alarm clock apps as a replacement for that.
                      I was; you can get a wall charger if you don't have one already from an Apple store or something (the charging cord for the iPod plugs into it, and it plugs into the wall). This is what I am talking about.

But that might not help if you're using the iHome primarily as a big sign to say "plug me in!"

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
                        But that might not help if you're using the iHome primarily as a big sign to say "plug me in!"
                        Y'know, I'll bet there's ann app for that :)

--BlackMirror
                        --Blackraven93

Comment

OK, I have an iHome iH9 that I pretty much leave my iPod classic plugged into. The speakers aren't going to amaze you, but they're decent speakers. Better than 99% of the clock radios out there.

You can adjust the brightness to one of a half dozen different brightness levels just by touching the snooze button. Hitting the snooze button when your alarm goes off will adjust the brightness.

The dock itself is pretty sturdy, and yet lets go when it needs to. I've accidentally knocked my iPod out of the dock a few times with no damage to either the dock or the iPod.

The only way that the alarm clock operates differently when the iPod is out, is that it automatically uses the buzzer alarm.

There are three different volume levels, one for the sleep function, one for the alarm function, and one for the regular listening function. Wherever you set the volume for any of these functions is where it will stay until you come back to that function. I like this because I love falling to sleep with low level music playing, but I need blaring music to get me out of bed in the morning. This works perfectly.

The alarm does gradually increase to full volume. If you wake up and turn off the alarm quickly, you'll not blast your bedmate with loud music.

It has dual alarms that are quite simple and intuitive to set and turn on and off.

About the only think I don't like is that the controls are two flat spinning dials (replicating the iPod style), but the dials sometimes don't have enough texture on them for me to spin them. I'll have to lick my fingers to get them to grip the dials. They might have improved on this in their later models. I haven't bothered with grip tape or otherwise fixing the texture, as the only time you need to spin the dials is if you're changing the volume or setting the alarm or clock. Licking the fingers has worked for me...

My model of alarm clock would not allow the iPhone to operate while docked, so I couldn't use it as a nighttime iPhone charger/alarm clock. I'm seriously considering buying a newer model just for that function, but I've got my iPhone in an Otter Box and haven't found a dock that will take it like that, yet.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I have one of the apps you are talking about, called "Night Stand" and it is pretty good. Thing is, I don't want to have my iphone screen running all night long, even if it is dimmed. That has got to cut down on life expectancy of the screen running for 8 hours every night.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                              I have one of the apps you are talking about, called "Night Stand" and it is pretty good. Thing is, I don't want to have my iphone screen running all night long, even if it is dimmed. That has got to cut down on life expectancy of the screen running for 8 hours every night.
                              Oh, no, the screen will only last for 18 years instead of 41 years!
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X