Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would You Pay $5 To Upgrade an Old DVD to Blu-ray?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Pay $5 To Upgrade an Old DVD to Blu-ray?

Gizmodo just posted an interesting article about a program where you can send in DVDs you own and for about $5 WarnerBros. will send you the BluRay version:

Would You Pay $5 To Upgrade an Old DVD to Blu-ray?

I'm kind of on the fence here about this. At first I thought "they just want even more money for something I paid for", but then I started thinking about the fact I want to buy a HDTV soon, and I really would like to watch my movies in as high a quality as possible. And $5 isn't that bad really, compared to buying it for $20 or so at bestbuy or amazon.

But then I scrolled through the list and saw that they don't offer it on any movies I own. I have about 50 or so DVD movies (I used to buy 2-3 a month since they were only about $10), but turns out that since I started Netflix I haven't bought a single disk. :row__688:

Hopefully the other studios will start doing this as well.
    I really would pay $5 to upgrade my
    Fight Club
    Snatch
    UnderWorld
    Heat
    PitchBlack
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (mostly for the high def bamboo scenes :icon_razz)
    Ronin
    among others

So what about you guys? Anybody else think this might be a good idea and would be in for a few upgrades? Or would you rather just pay the few extra bucks a month and upgrade your netflix to receive the bluray versions?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Would You Pay $5 To Upgrade an Old DVD to Blu-ray?

Helluva deal! Going to be upgrading quite a few!
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Between me and the girlfriend, we've got 6 movies on there that I'd upgrade to Blu-Ray. I'll have to research to see if it's more cost effective to do the upgrade, or purchase new discs. I just wish there were more titles.

I don't have Netflix so that's not an option for me.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

This is what I don't understand about buying blu-ray's of old movies -- they weren't filmed with high definition cameras. What are you really gaining by getting the movie in a high def format? The picture can't change that much, can it?

Comment

It depends on how old the movie is. 1080p digital cameras were around as far back as 1998.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I notice it more on some things than others. The best quality Blu-Ray I've seen to date was Generation Kill.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
              It depends on how old the movie is. 1080p digital cameras were around as far back as 1998.
              How prevalent was that though? My assumption (based on no fact) was that most movies were filmed in standard definition, or at least when they were converted from film they used standard definition. Is the blu-ray conversion taking the original film copy and making a high-def version, or using the digitized standard def version and up-converting it (duplication of pixels, etc)

Comment

If they are doing a film transfer, there is a very big, noticeable difference. In some cases, you can even pick out film grain in the resulting video. Also, with BD, you are very often getting uncompressed audio as well, so sound quality is excellent if you are into that.
                Do or do not, there is no try....
                -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by tuoply View Post
                  This is what I don't understand about buying blu-ray's of old movies -- they weren't filmed with high definition cameras. What are you really gaining by getting the movie in a high def format? The picture can't change that much, can it?
                  Film has higher definition than 1080p digital camcorders so if it was shot on film it can benefit greatly from Bluray unless they really screw up the transfer.

Check out how some of these older films look for example:

Battleship Potemkin(1925) : http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...ttleship-p.htm
                  The General (1927) : http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...thegeneral.htm
                  City Girl (1930) : http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...rl_blu-ray.htm
                  The African Queen (1951) : http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/african.htm
                  North by Northwest (1959) : http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...ynorthwest.htm
                  The Leopard (1963) : http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare5/leopard.htm
                  Doctor Zhivago (1965) : http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...go_blu-ray.htm
                  Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) : http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...nd_blu-ray.htm
                  |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Thanks for the links FBmantis! I'm impressed with the difference

Comment

Very interesting. I might have to send in a few and get the new Blu Ray copies. For those that want it, here is the link to the site:
                      http://www.dvd2blu.com/products.html

Limit: You may only order, collectively, up to a total of twenty-five (25) Participating Titles combined per household.
                      That kind of stinks though

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                        Very interesting. I might have to send in a few and get the new Blu Ray copies. For those that want it, here is the link to the site:
                        http://www.dvd2blu.com/products.html

That kind of stinks though
                        Dredge, I post links to the sites I find the news, and not through to the direct site so sites like Gizmodo get credit and page views they deserve.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I wouldn't pay the $5 unless the movie I'm getting back is indeed HD quality, not some SD picture upconverted (stretched, scaled, and cropped) to "Full HD".
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

just head over to the local pawn shop with a list in one hand and 10 bucks in the other.... then send in those 10 movies for the BR, and you have a 10 movie kick-off to your collection for 60 bucks total - the cost of 2 new Blu-Rays.
                            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Looks like they have added some more to the list:
                              DVD2Blu trade-up scheme lets you swap any old DVD (plus $4.95) for a Blu-ray

When you go to the sales page, you have to click the show all tab to view all the options.
                              I can't believe with all the shelves of DVDs I have have, I don't have any of the ones available.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X