Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapo video card that will give me 1280x1024 in Win7 x64?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapo video card that will give me 1280x1024 in Win7 x64?

I need a non-gaming (or similarly inexpensive) PCI (not express) video card to give me 1280x1024 in Win7 x64. Any recommendations?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Cheapo video card that will give me 1280x1024 in Win7 x64?

Actually, I /do/ have a PCI Express slot free, but it's right next to my NVideo GTX 8800 -- can't I cook an egg on that thing when it's going crazy? Is it really, actually safe (read: a good idea) to put /another/ video card /right/ next to it.

Maybe the heat wouldn't be such a big problem since the card I'd be putting in the second PCI Express would be lightweight. so there'd actually be a centimeter or more between the honkin' 8800 and my cheapo other card?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Since you're using NVidea and if your plan is for SLI, I'm pretty sure you can only do this if you're using 2 identical cards, same make, model, and everything.

In order to use two different cards, an ATI Crossfire setup is the only one I'm aware of that can do that.

You might be better off completely replacing your 8800. That card at least 3 generations old, and even a cheap card these days would blow that card out of the water. What is your budget?
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Strange. If you already have a PCI-e graphics card, why would you want another one? Unless you're really, seriously hacking your machine?
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I'm trying to make three monitors happen.

Two 23" displays on the left and right, through the 8800. One 19" in the middle, at 1280x1024, through this cheapo card.

I figured I'd use one of the 23" displays for gaming, but the primary use case is programming/etc, using all three monitors.

Unless I'm overlooking something, I don't care anything about SLI?

Comment

Its hard to know if you will have heat problems without seeing your case setup and your current GPU temps.

Either type of interface should run a monitor for you. PCIE will be cheaper than PCI. If you have PCIEX1 slots you could actually use one of those as well. While PCIEX1 cards are expensive you could purchase a PCIEX16 and cut the slot open(I've never done this but have seen numerous accounts of others doing it successfully).

PCI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814187041
            PCIEX16 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814261068
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143177
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131119
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

About this SLI business -- this second PCIe 16x slot. Can I put a different type card in there (than my 8800) if I don't care about SLI-ing them? I mean, can I just put some run-of-the-mill PCIe 16x card in there and use it to power my third display?

Keep in mind I'm just happy as can be gaming off of only one of these 23" displays, powered by my 8800 (assuming that's all possible given what I'm trying to do).

Comment

Ok, how about this...

A ASUS EAH4350 SILENT/DI/51 Radeon HD 4350 Video Card - 512MB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, CrossFire, Dual-Link DVI, VGA, HDMI in my second PCIe 16x slot?

NVidia 8800 powers the two 23" displays
                Radeon HD4350 powers the one 19" display

The Radeon HD4350 needs a slot empty below the one it's using, but I can meet that need.

Is this combination doomed to failure?

Comment

The new ATI cards will support three monitors. You could sell the 8800GTX and replace it with a 5770 which would be a really nice upgrade in terms of power, power consumption, heat and features. You'd have a faster video card without trying to get some funky multi GPU setup working. Something like this would work really well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102864
                  sigpic

Comment

Thank you for that option. I like options.

Funky setups aside, what kind of undesirable symptoms might I expect with two GPUs? I run an nVidia/ATI two-card combination at work (not by choice so much -- I won't bore you with the details), and I've not had any major problems with it. I can only imagine that a single card setup would be less glitchy, but I'm trying to understand what the glitches might be.

On the flip side, I do like the idea of having a video card left over when one of my two cards (if I go that route) fails.

( also, if I *do* go the two-card route, is that card I linked to particularly bad? )

Comment

I had my old 8600GTS die a year or two ago, so I went to Fry's looking for a short-term replacement. For about $90 at the time I got an EVGA 9500GT. It runs WoW fine at 1900x1200 on my big 25.5" Samsung, and runs cool, without the massive heat sink assembly bolted to the old 8600GTS. (I think it has a tiny fan on the GPU.) I haven't bothered looking for a replacement since then.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Again, I like options, but the Asus/ATI card is cheaper than the 9500. If I'm going to go with two cards, do you think the glitches will actually be less/simpler if they're both NVidia?

Comment

Interesting. SLI definitely sounds like a failure pit I could fall into without trying too hard. I really just want to add another video card to my box. This should be this hard.

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html

Can I mix and match graphics cards that have different GPUs?
                          No. For example, an XXXGT cannot be paired with a XXXGTX in an SLI configuration.

Can I mix and match graphics cards from different manufacturers?
                          Using 180 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA graphics cards from different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer ABC can be matched with a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer XYZ.

Can I mix and match graphics cards is one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer?
                          Yes. A GeForce XXXX GTX that is overclocked can be mixed with a standard clocked GeForce XXXX GTX.

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?
                          When purchasing a second graphics card, you should try to match the memory size so that you are ensured full value and performance from your purchase. However, while it is not recommended, NVIDIA does offer the flexibility to run graphics cards with different sized memory by using CoolBits. Using CoolBits (value set to 18), you can force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate them together in SLI mode. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using CoolBits, the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the memory sizes. Instructions to enable this feature can be found here.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                            The new ATI cards will support three monitors. You could sell the 8800GTX and replace it with a 5770 which would be a really nice upgrade in terms of power, power consumption, heat and features. You'd have a faster video card without trying to get some funky multi GPU setup working. Something like this would work really well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102864
                            You'll need to have a DisplayPort input on one of those monitors otherwise, you won't be able to do a 3-monitor setup. As far as I know, DisplayPort equipped monitors are hard to find and usually more expensive than the standard fare.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

adding a second video card of differing models and generations is completely doable, and pretty solid. I have a 4650 pci-e and a 3420(?) pci in a presentation machine. the 4650 runs the main computer (editing) monitor, as well as the audience projectors (which is duplicated to the TV s video port) and the other PCI card runs the stage monitor / teleprompter. the same drivers run both, and it all runs really smoothly. All the hardware is meager by today's standards: C2D 1.83ghz / 4gig DDR / 80gig SATA WD 8meg 7200rpm / 5 DVD+-RW / win xp sp3. The computer also doubles as a CD/DVD duplicator when not presenting....
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X