AMD or Intel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD or Intel

Hey guys, sorry if this has already been posted, I couldn't find anything about this topic. I currently have a machine run by and AMD Phenom II 940 3.0 Ghz processor, 8 Gigs of DDR2 1066 speed RAM, 1500 GB Harddrive space, a 9800GTX+ all on a basic ASUS motherboard. Nothing is overclocked. I play Bad Company 2 and am thinking of building a new machine. Should I stick with AMD or go to the Intel core I7 920? What are your thoughts?
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those that do not..."
    -Thomas Jefferson-
    sigpic

Re: AMD or Intel

I would say stick with AMD. As for the i7-920s, they're being replaced by the 930s now. You'll have to fork over at least $800 if you want a new i7 system if you don't plan on reusing any parts.

If you have a AM2+ board, you could easily upgrade to a newer Phenom II X4 945/955 BE. Or even a brand new Phenom II X6 1055T (for $210) or the 1090T (for $310). Both will most likely require a simple BIOS update. Swap your 9800GTX+ for a HD5850 and you'd be back in BC2 with most settings on high/max. You could upgrade both your CPU and graphics card could be done for around $550 (Phenom II X6 1055T and a HD5850). You could save off $60+ by going with a 945/955 BE instead of the 1055T. Or just upgrade the CPU for $150/$210. The move to a quad-core alone would give you quite a boost in BC2 and other multithreaded applications.

Otherwise, you have plenty of RAM and hard drive space to last many long years to come. :)

(Gosh the more I recommend these new X6s, the more my mouth waters for one...:p)

You could also hold out until next year and build a new AMD rig using the promised Bulldozer CPUs. From some of the tech articles, they look quite promising given that their price range seems to be what current chips already go for (if not less). Or if you really lust for that extra 10-20% of performance gain, you could always spend more on a future Intel system.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by surfish95747 View Post
      Hey guys, sorry if this has already been posted, I couldn't find anything about this topic. I currently have a machine run by and AMD Phenom II 940 3.0 Ghz processor, 8 Gigs of DDR2 1066 speed RAM, 1500 GB Harddrive space, a 9800GTX+ all on a basic ASUS motherboard. Nothing is overclocked. I play Bad Company 2 and am thinking of building a new machine. Should I stick with AMD or go to the Intel core I7 920? What are your thoughts?
      why exactly are you upgrading? That tech isn't really that old? ok well maybe update the GFX card. I am running a PhenomII 945, 4 gigs DDR2 800 and a 4890 and I max out BFBC2 no problem. Save some cash and upgrade to a 5700 series card.....you may be surprised. That way you can stash some cash and save a bit more for a year down the road and do a one time upgrade on everything but your 5700 series card :0 ....just my opinion
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Personally I wouldn't spend the money on an i7 core, I went back and forth between AMD and Intel on my latest upgrade. I settled on the i5-750, I bought it for ~$220 at Fry's, four Gigs of DDR3 memory for ~$110 and a Gigabyte board (ATX, not a micro) for ~$40. Now the board I lucked out on, it was the last board, someone had thrown away the box from storage, so I talked them into a 25% discount, the board was being discontinued and all I lost was the manual and the i/o shield. I kept my Nvidia GTX 260, hard drive, case, etc and spent with some extras and tax right around $400. I read some basic OCing information on the i5-750 and my CPU is running at 3.0Ghz per core from 2.66 on the stock cooler. My fps in game went from sub-30s to 70-80 and I can run FRAPs full screen and get 50-60 fps in game (BC2). Now my previous machine was an AMD X2 6000+ Windsor with 4 Gigs of DDR2 memory and a MSI board.

Acreo Aeneas has a great point, if you have an AM2+ board, you could save a considerable amount of money sticking with AMD as long as possible. I can't comment on video card performance, I don't keep up on those, I use the charts at tomshardware.com
        Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
          why exactly are you upgrading? That tech isn't really that old? ok well maybe update the GFX card. I am running a PhenomII 945, 4 gigs DDR2 800 and a 4890 and I max out BFBC2 no problem. Save some cash and upgrade to a 5700 series card.....you may be surprised. That way you can stash some cash and save a bit more for a year down the road and do a one time upgrade on everything but your 5700 series card :0 ....just my opinion
          Honestly, I didn't recommend either the 5750 nor the 5770 since he has a 9800GTX+ (aka GTS250). A 5770 wouldn't be that big of a performance increase from a GTS250/9800GTX+. And since I can't recommend a HD5830 because current new drivers cause problems for us HD5830 owners but not with other ATI 5000 series cards, I suggested a HD5850 instead (which does take the newer drivers).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i'm running the AMD Phenom II-x4 965 Black Edition (whatever that means) 3.4 ghz. I can verify that it is very fast indeed. I play all games at max settings with very high frame rates, and do TONS of decoding/encoding movies (including blu-ray) into mkv files. I'm sure an Intel i7 could beat me at the encoding, but the AMD's no slouch. Plus in many tests, the AMD's are actually better for gaming. The Intel chips seem better for pure number crunching, such as processing movie/sound files. I'll take the huge savings over the marginal performance gains.
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              The move to a quad-core alone would give you quite a boost in BC2 and other multithreaded applications.
              I could be mistaken but isn't the Phenom II 940 3.0 GHz a quad core part already? I thought it was essentially the same thing as the Phenom II 945 without the slight process refinements AMD added.

Assuming I'm correct about Surfish's processor being a quad-core, I think a total platform upgrade (new cpu, motherboard, memory) is completely unnecessary for him at this point. He already has a relatively fast quad-core processor, 8 GB of memory and a viable platform. Really all he needs is maybe a video card upgrade. Like the others said, I would recommend going with an ATI 5xxx series card such as the Radeon HD 5850 or 5870 depending on your budget. Your system will be great for another couple years before you'll want to start looking at a new build.

Just my opinion.
              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I have an AMD Phenom with the 9800GTX+ and wouldn't trade up for less than a 5870, otherwise it just isn't worth the bang for the buck. By the same token I am planning a new build next year as this system is getting on in age (3 years) and want to take advantage of newer tech but I'm also looking to build next time to try and skip at least one generation if not two. So I'll definitely be looking at SATA3, triple channel memory, and the best cpu I can afford. I will incorporate SSD for OS and "critical" games but the present offerings still don't reach the benchmarks I'd set except for the Z-Cards and they still cost to much.
                Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                  I could be mistaken but isn't the Phenom II 940 3.0 GHz a quad core part already? I thought it was essentially the same thing as the Phenom II 945 without the slight process refinements AMD added.
                  Yes, you are right, the PhII 940 is already a quad-core. IN which case, just a video card upgrade is necessary.

For some reason I was thinking of the old Phenom II x2.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

You don't need any more ram and your processor is not a problem either. Right now your Graphics card is the bottleneck. If your primary concern is playing video games than spending your money on anything other than the GPU would be a waste.

I went from a 9800GTX+ to a Radeon 5870 and let me tell you, the difference is mind-blowing. I can play any game full settings at 1920x1080 without any sort of lag. The 5870 is a much better value than the GTX 480. The only reason to go Nvidia in this case is if CUDA interests you. Due to the fact that ATI Stream is barely coming along and the same can be said for OpenCL.

Comment

Personally im with AMD, they are much better at rpoviding value for money and integration with ATI means the gaming pc setups you can make are far more effective than ATI/ Intel hybrids.

Comment

If you want to wait a year or 2 AMD is releasing their new architecture "Bulldozer"
                        Viking

Comment

Thanks guys! Dang that was some great advice! So it sounds like I will keep my system as is except for a GPU upgrade. You all sound like a 5970 from ATI sounds the best especially with Alex124's experience with upgrading my exact card. I have to run BC2 at medium settings because at max settings, it just chuggs a long. I didnt know if that was CPU or GPU related. No I guess it is GPU. I do beleive I will be going with the 5870 in the near future! Thanks for the help!
                          -Thomas Jefferson-
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys! Dang that was some great advice! So it sounds like I will keep my system as is except for a GPU upgrade. You all sound like a 5970 from ATI sounds the best especially with Alex124's experience with upgrading my exact card. I have to run BC2 at medium settings because at max settings, it just chuggs a long. I didnt know if that was CPU or GPU related. No I guess it is GPU. I do beleive I will be going with the 5870 in the near future! Thanks for the help!
                            You'll be able to run BC2 pretty much on max settings @ 1920 x 1200 with plenty of framerates to spare.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Okay guys, I just upgraded to the GTX 460 Superclocked edition. It should be here tomorrow but pretty excited to get it in my machine!
                              -Thomas Jefferson-
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...