Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

    My graphics card exploded yesterday. Ok, not exactly, but I think it overheated and something melted. It CAN display things, but with a huge amount of distortion -- luckily I was able to tell windows to disable the primary card driver and run the secondary (didn't even know it had one!), which seems to work fine minus Direct-X support.

    Direct-X support is kind of mandatory for my gaming though, so that means I need a new card. But here's the trick -- my motherboard is from 2005, which I think predates PCIe 2.0 standards. Is this going to be a big enough issue to make it worthwhile looking for a new motherboard? If not, knowing that any card I buy will downgrade itself to PCIe 1.0 to be backwards compatible, what sort of performance level should I be looking for to max out my 1.0 slots without wasting extra money on un-used performance?

    Of course, the answers to those questions will depend on what games I'm running. I almost never go for the latest-and-greatest shiny eye-candy games. The toughest requirements I run at the moment are World of Warcraft and Starcraft II, both at pretty low settings (although it would be nice to turn a few of those up!). Both ran...passably well on my old Radeon X700 Pro card (from 2004), but framerates could get pretty low at times.

    Thanks for any advice!

  • #2
    Re: Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

    As long as your board has a PCI-E slot (mine is only 1X too) and are not still on AGP, you should be fine with a new mid-end graphics card. I'm really happy with my 5770 and my cousin's GTX 260 has been working out really well for him. That's the class of card I'd probably recommend for you. Even a 5750 would be a huge upgrade from an X700 Pro. If you're willing to spend a few extra dollars, I'd recommend the 5770. If you'd rather spend a bit less, a 5750. If you'd rather spend a lot less, you'd have a hard time doing a whole lot worse than your old card. A 5670 perhaps?

    5670 on sale:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150466

    5750 on sale:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150448

    5770 on sale:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102864
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

        Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
        My graphics card exploded yesterday. Ok, not exactly, but I think it overheated and something melted. It CAN display things, but with a huge amount of distortion -- luckily I was able to tell windows to disable the primary card driver and run the secondary (didn't even know it had one!), which seems to work fine minus Direct-X support.

        Direct-X support is kind of mandatory for my gaming though, so that means I need a new card. But here's the trick -- my motherboard is from 2005, which I think predates PCIe 2.0 standards. Is this going to be a big enough issue to make it worthwhile looking for a new motherboard? If not, knowing that any card I buy will downgrade itself to PCIe 1.0 to be backwards compatible, what sort of performance level should I be looking for to max out my 1.0 slots without wasting extra money on un-used performance?

        Of course, the answers to those questions will depend on what games I'm running. I almost never go for the latest-and-greatest shiny eye-candy games. The toughest requirements I run at the moment are World of Warcraft and Starcraft II, both at pretty low settings (although it would be nice to turn a few of those up!). Both ran...passably well on my old Radeon X700 Pro card (from 2004), but framerates could get pretty low at times.

        Thanks for any advice!
        If you have an older processor and mobo you will probably get better results by going with a slightly cheaper card, upgrading your mobo and processor (or just processor depending on your mobo) for most games since a 2005 processor is going to be getting maxed out on most newish games including SCII.

        What mobo/RAM/processor do you have now?
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

        Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

          Not sure how to find the specs on the MOBO, besides what expansion ports I have. Processor is 3.0 Ghz 1 physical / 2 virtual core. (The idea of having several cores was brand new when I got it).

          I've got 1.5 GB of RAM, in 2 sets of twin slots (both sides of the twin have to have the same RAM chip or it won't function, there's a 256/256 MB pair and a 512/512 pair.)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

            Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
            Not sure how to find the specs on the MOBO, besides what expansion ports I have. Processor is 3.0 Ghz 1 physical / 2 virtual core. (The idea of having several cores was brand new when I got it).

            I've got 1.5 GB of RAM, in 2 sets of twin slots (both sides of the twin have to have the same RAM chip or it won't function, there's a 256/256 MB pair and a 512/512 pair.)
            Sounds like my last rig. Most likely a Pentium 4 with HT and a AGP slot. As it stands, a new system is more worth of your money instead of upgrades. The most powerful AGP card I can still find is a old HD4650 selling for around $110 (on NewEgg). If you're on a budget, I'd go with AMD. If you have at least $800 to spend, a Intel system might be worth it.

            Here's one list I made recently (AMD triple-core):

            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

            Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





            SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

            TG Primer and Rules

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

              No, its definately not AGP. Its PCIe-16x, but it's just not up to the newest standards for PCI. I think the processor was Pentium-5 generation.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

                Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                No, its definately not AGP. Its PCIe-16x, but it's just not up to the newest standards for PCI. I think the processor was Pentium-5 generation.
                Ah, so you have a rebranded Pentium 4 (Pentium 5xx series) for the LGA775 socket?

                In that case, what's the make and model of your mobo? We could look up and see what newer CPUs your board can take (perhaps even newer 45nm C2Ds with a BIOS update). As for graphics card, a 1 GB HD5750 ($130) or a 1 GB GTS250 ($115) would already be a huge jump from what you're using now.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

                Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





                SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

                TG Primer and Rules

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

                  The 250GTS has made me happy for the price I paid, I'm actually limited by my 4400+ AM2 (far superior to a 3.0 HT Pentium) on most games at the moment but I expect to rectify that soon which is why I suggested taking a look at the mobo and processor. Even if you stuck with your current RAM you would come out far ahead for a few hundred bucks between the mobo processor and inexpensive video card.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

                  Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

                    get yourself CPUz and to get a readout of on what you have.

                    GTS 250


                    - -

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

                      I went for the cheap option and got a Radeon HD 4350 [obsolete] or something like that (left the box at home and I forget the number)[/obsolete]. Its not top of the line, but its still a pretty big jump over my old one. Next biggest throttle on my system performance is that 1.5 GB RAM. But I'm hesitant to upgrade that right away, because it turns out my motherboard doesn't support today's RAM standards either (still on DDR type 1). I probably need to get an upgraded MOBO next, and then look at RAM, but I don't know anything about motherboards so I'll have to do some research first to know what I'm looking at.

                      Thanks all.

                      Edit: Corrected name of card now that I'm at home and can see what it is.
                      Last edited by Kerostasis; 05-14-2010, 06:07 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

                        Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                        But I'm hesitant to upgrade that right away, because it turns out my motherboard doesn't support today's RAM standards either (still on DDR type 1).
                        If you ever want to make a big jump you can make an upgrade to your mobo/CPU/RAM for under $250 that will crush your current rig, you may need a new power supply and video card but that only tacks on a couple hundred more for reasonable hardware. So for under $500 you can upgrade to a decent gaming rig that can play the bleeding edge on medium settings (some games might need low) but high for most everything else.
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

                        Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Time to buy a new graphics card! Recommend me something?

                          there's this dude selling a quad core rig with 8gigs of ram in the buy/sell/trade forum... comes with a 1gig video card and a 1TB hdd to boot.... pretty sweet deal.... ;)
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

                          If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

                          Comment

                          Connect

                          Collapse

                          TeamSpeak 3 Server

                          Collapse

                          Advertisement

                          Collapse

                          Twitter Feed

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X