Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Transcription

Folks,

I need some help with finding an application that will allow me to transcribe text from audio files. Not sure if you've seen the first in my interview series on the frontpage, http://www.tacticalgamer.com/content...s-apophis.html ,but that came about from a 2+ hour recorded Teamspeak interview that was manually transcribed.

Transcription is agonizing to say the least !

Does anyone have any ideas that might help me with extracting text from audio files ?

Any recommended applications ?

Thanks Kindly,
    -warlab

|

Re: Audio Transcription

My uncle swears by Dragon NaturallySpeaking voice recognition software.

Though, apparently, much of this sort of software requires training it to understand the voice; while it may understand you fully after training, it may flop over your interviewee's words like a live fish on a hot grill. Despite this, if you proofread the transcription afterward and correct it's errors, that may be beneficial.
    Unfortunately, though, the Dragon NaturallySpeaking Standard edition will run you $100.
    This sort of software is also known to be fickle in general because of less-than-adequate technology to accurately transcribe (accent barriers and background noise being difficult to work around), so programs are either low-quality or expensive. Take your pick.

Alternatively, might I suggest instead uploading the audio itself; this saves you time in transcription and allows users to listen to sometimes rather lengthy interviews than wading through a few pages worth of text.

Comment

Celestial,

Can I input the recorded audio file into Dragon ? I thought it was more centered around speaking directly into a mic.

Also, my goal is to eventually have both text and audio.
      The text transcription is the hard part :(

|

Comment

Try submitting a job to the Amazon Mturk. You can pay some one a pittance and they'll transcribe it for you. I've taken jobs on there and they're pretty menial but the small amounts can add up.

https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome

That's probably the cheapest way to do it.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Thanks Spyder, If I have to go a non-software route, I'm going to refer back to this.
          Much appreciated.

|

Comment

Originally posted by warlab View Post
            Can I input the recorded audio file into Dragon ? I thought it was more centered around speaking directly into a mic.
            I wouldn't know. You could google about that.
            You might be able to do it if you just played the audio over speakers to the mic.

But it could be possible for you to use it during the interviews, and it would transcribe during it.

Comment

warlab, yes, you can feed Dragon pre-recorded audio files. No, it won't save you any work. The error rate, even with extensive training, is prohibitive. Worse yet, because Dragon's spell checker makes sure the words at least are spelled correctly, you end up with a correctly spelled collection of utter nonsense. Contrast this with the ease of detection of mistyped words underlined in red.

Most importantly, you can train it to a semi-palatable accuracy of interpreting *your* voice, but what you really care about is what the *interviewee* said. And with no previous sample to draw on, Dragon will choke very quickly.

I do this for a living, and I haven't found a better alternative than good, old-fashioned typing. A reasonable ballpark figure is to budget 2-4 times the length of the recording in transcription time, though this will of course vary with the complexity of the subject matter (and your familiarity with it), your typing speed, and how precise you need the transcription to be. (protip: No one ever remembers what words they used precisely. As long as you don't change the meaning, you're generally OK)

If you do come across a good software solution to this, I would be absolutely thrilled to hear about it; transcription is the least favourite, and least avoidable, part of my daily work.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
              --BlackMirror
              <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
              Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
              --Blackraven93

Comment

Cheb,

I needed your expert opinion although I hated to hear what it said.
                My research and experimentations have pretty much led me to the same belief as you.
                Should I ever discover anything I'll PM you.

Many thnx,
                -warlab

|

Comment

Well, having just done an interview where the recoder ran out of batteries halfway through, I'm no big fan of my expert opinion, either :)

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                  --BlackMirror
                  <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                  Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                  --Blackraven93

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X