Free Portal!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Portal!

If anyone here has not played Portal, you owe it to yourself to take advantage of this. Valve is apparently giving Portal away for free from now through the 24th. It is a bit unclear as to whether or not you still own the game after the 24th (the language in the announcement would suggest that you do) but it is a pretty short game and 12 days is more than enough time to play though it anyhow.

Link here:
    http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/
    sigpic

Re: Free Portal!

From the looks of it, it's only "free" until May 24th. I click on "Install Game" and Steam tells me "Portal is now registered to your Steam account". However, Portal does not show up on my "My Games" list at all. Hence the limited-time free-ness of the game.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Until May 24th, it's free.
      It's no longer free on may 24th. I don't know if they will invalidate any free downloaded copies after that though.

This should get merged with the other thread in general.

- -

Comment

Shows up in my games list just fine...

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
        --BlackMirror
        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
        Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
        --Blackraven93

Comment

I think it's that it's free until May 24th, but after May 24th you still own Portal. As in, you literally get the game for free - not just a time-limited version of it.
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Correct. If you download portal from now to May 24th, you get it for free–and you keep it afterwards.

If you're not seeing it in your games list, try to download it again and if it still doesn't show up feel free to contact Valve support through the steampowered.com website. They'll set you straight.

Comment

For those who ignore the RSS stuff, Portal 2 delayed until 2011:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/rss-new...ortal-2-a.html

Check out the BSOD there.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

There will be those who say they'd rather wait for a better game. Consider the risks of waiting, in this Wired article linked from the TG thread on Duke Nukem Forever:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/1...ke_nukem/all/1

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general...kem-lives.html

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

You know the "Free Portal" that I took advantage of above still works. So even though the wording was vague and confusing, in the end the game was free forever it seems. :D
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm glad they made it free forever. :) My cousin downloaded it, fell in love with it and is currently playing through it for the fourth time.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm stuck on Level 15 of the original maps. >.> How do I bounce the energy ball from out one field and into the other one when my portals can only exist on one side of the field?
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        I'm stuck on Level 15 of the original maps. >.> How do I bounce the energy ball from out one field and into the other one when my portals can only exist on one side of the field?
                        I remember getting stuck there for a few minutes. I recall the trick was to realize that the balls can escape the field, so you need to portal them within one area so they escape the field, then rapidly put 2 portals in the next area to vector the ball to the final area.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          I don't know the map you mean, but many of the puzzles involving energy balls required you to have very precise and quick reactions. Wait until the ball has exploded and a new one has spawned, then start firing portals - that way you will be able to be moving the ball throughout its whole lifespan.
                          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I'm probably the one only one who will say this:

I got Portal only because it was free and do NOT understand the big deal. I mean, it's better than some games I've played (I've played quite a few bargain bin crapfests) but I don't think it's worthy of all the praise. Just because Valve had something to do with it doesn't mean it should be placed on pedestal and worshiped.

It was short, graphics were crap (good ole' Source engine), and many places it was frustrating. Also for some reason it bakes my video card.
                            Last edited by Spyder228; 06-10-2010, 01:19 PM.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

It's a nice twist and like Spyder, only reason I even picked it up was to try it out because it was free. Other than that, I usually prefer a good strategy or shooter game. :)

@Scratch,

Thanks! I think I know how to solve that level now. :D
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X