Game load time variation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game load time variation

Hi I just benchmarked two new machines to BC2 and noticed that the map load times was actually slower on the hotter machine (faster processor/more RAM). I was wondering what variables and game/video settings could affect this since I am not sure they were set up the same to compare apples to apples.

Re: Game load time variation

Level load times usually depends on the hardrive's reading speed, hardrive type, fragmentation, and also the physical location of the data on the disc. The type of format and also if there are multiple drives set up also affect load times.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

BC2 maps load MUCH faster on DX9 as opposed to DX10 or 11 especially with ATi cards. The newest drivers reduced the problem, but you still pay for the better look graphics.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Interesting comment regarding ATI. As I was comparing my old Invidia GTX285 vs my new (better?) ATI 4870x2 on the same machine. What I am noticing is better in game graphics (I think) vs slower load times with the new ATI 4870x2. I was always loaded and waiting to start the next map with the GTX but now with the 4870x2 I join late (the chopper and vehicles are already in deployment).

Question is there any thing I can do to speed up this initial map/level load?
        Here are my specs on my new machine:
        Brand Gateway
        Model FX6801-07
        Type Gaming
        Processor Intel Core i7 Extreme 975(3.33GHz)
        Memory 12GB DDR3
        Hard Drive 2 x 1TB SATAII
        Optical Drive 1 BluRay Combo Drive
        Optical Drive 2 18X DVD+/-R/RW Multi-Format Dual Layer Drive featuring Labelflash Technology
        Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 Graphics, with 2GB Discrete Video Memory

Comment

That's a ridiculous rig you have there. The only thing I know for sure to reduce load time while maintaining high graphics settings is to download the latest ATi drivers. They improve performance something like 40%. With my 5850 I can load into a map in about 5-10 seconds.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I am wondering if I actually improved my performance going from the GTX285 to the ATI 4780x2 I dont know how to quantify. The question I guess still remains is the level load times based on HD access time, processor speed/type and or video card?

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Blood View Post
              I am wondering if I actually improved my performance going from the GTX285 to the ATI 4780x2 I dont know how to quantify. The question I guess still remains is the level load times based on HD access time, processor speed/type and or video card?
              You don't mention the type of hard drive where you installed BC2. It will be the bottleneck when loading a new map. Everything is else affects framerates more. If you're looking for faster load times, get a faster hard drive (with the exception of driver improvements because ATI has a known issue with BC2 load times). You should first make sure you're on the latest video card drivers to fix that specific BC2+ATI issue. Then you can determine if your hard drive is slow.

FWIW, my Core i5 and 5850 (10.4 drivers) load BC2 maps in about 5 seconds. I attribute the load speed to the SSD, not the CPU or video card.

For qualifying performance with the GTX 285 -> 4780 X2, check framerates. You don't bench a video card by seeing how fast you can load a map. You bench it by seeing how fast it renders a scene just like the hardware reviewers do when your read their articles.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Thanks Sarc I am running duel (not raid) on my C drive.
                SATA with access speeds of around 15ms
                SATA 3Gb/s
                Capacity (GB)1
                1TB / 750 / 640 / 500 / 320 / 250 / 160
                Max. areal density (Gbits/sq. in.)
                244Performance
                Data buffer (MB)2
                16 / 8
                Rotational speed (RPM)
                Media transfer rate (Mbits/s, max)
                Interface transfer rate (MB/s, max)
                300Reliability
                I get you regarding video card comparisons on Toms site.

Question regarding HD. Does it make a difference if I load the game on C of D? Would D be faster?

Comment

Typically as platter density increases, performance decreases. So the smaller hard drive might have better performance than the larger hard drive. There are also other factors like: which sectors the info is recorded on, the speed at which the platters spin, fragmentation of files, etc.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I load games on a separate drive from C but that's for organization instead of speed. If your D drive is slower than C, it wouldn't make sense to put games on there to improve load times.

I also do not understand what you mean by "duel". Is that dual booting or two partitions or two hard drives?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X