laptop.....no picture?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop.....no picture?

Ok all I need help, I have a friend HP 9400 series laptop running vista home premium. The machine goes through a complete boot cycle but never gets an image on it's screen?....however I can hook up a secondary monitor ad it works just fine. It runs Nvidia 6150 onboard graphics and I have updated drivers, bios, everything I can think of....I'm at a loss? It's seeing the secondary monitor as it's main and not recognizing the built in screen, every time I set the built in attached screen as the primary and hit apply it just makes the secondary monitor the primary again....anyone ever had this or heard of it?
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: laptop.....no picture?

My guess is that the theres a setting that someone made to mess that up (intentional or not) or somethings funk with the connection between the computers monitor and everything else. I have no good ideas on how to solve it.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

there are several possibilities - the one I lean toward is that the screen is either bad, or the cable has come loose on either the video card end, or in the LCD itself. I don't know about HP, but Dell's have a keyboard combo to switch screens - which can override the OS settings.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Just to be clear. Your saying that you never see a picture on the laptop screen itself, even during POST? If that's the case then the above poster is right. There could be several possibilities. But none of them are software related. With a desktop you could easily fix your problem by buying a new dedicated graphics card. But with a laptop this is not the case and if the problem ends up not being due to a loose cable, the only fix is to buy a new motherboard. You could talk to HP and see how much the motherboard would cost. But to be honest, it would be a waste of time because replacement laptop parts are extremely expensive.

Comment

this is not always the case. If he has a discrete video card, he can pick up a replacement from ebay for possible under 100... if the screen is bad, it may be 150. if the mobo is at fault - congrats on the new desktop computer bro.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
            this is not always the case. If he has a discrete video card, he can pick up a replacement from ebay for possible under 100... if the screen is bad, it may be 150. if the mobo is at fault - congrats on the new desktop computer bro.
            More like oversized paperweight.

I think I know the problem:

You set your resolution or your refresh rate out of bounds. For example: if your laptop display can only handle 1366 x 768 @ 60 Hz and you set your resolution or refresh rate higher and don't revert the settings, then the next time your screen goes blank. Usually this is caused by making the wrong display setting in a full screen application (like a game) and then immediately rebooting.

The only sure way I know of fixing this is to clear CMOS. Since you can't get at the battery or jumper setting, try this:

1. Shut Down and unplug the power cable.
            2. Pull out the battery
            3. Press the power button (discharges any remaining electrical power from all the caps)
            4. Put it all back together and boot back up.

If that doesn't fix it, then you need to send it back for a repair or if it's out of warranty, attempt to clear the CMOS yourself.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X