Network/Printer issue.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network/Printer issue.

I am trying to setup up a second printer. The software that comes with the printer doesn't work. It doesn't see the printer or something. I then try the Vista "wizard" for adding a printer. It doesn't see the printer as well and I have to manuelly add it using the IP address. I put the IP address in, it finds the printer but doesn't know what it is. I say it is a "Minolta network printer" (it is a Konica Minolta printer). It then asks for the printer model and I find it from the list and select the correct model. The "printer wizard" does its thing and say it is good to go. I click to print a test page and (i have done this 4 times the first 3 the test page didnt print) its print the test page fine. I open Notepad and type some stuff and try to print from the newly install printer. It does nothing. I look at the status of the print que and it says there is some error. I open the minolta status software and that software says the printer is fine and tells me how much toner is left and what not. The weird thing now is that I get frustrated and shut down the computer. I then come back later and start the computer. While I am logging into the user, the printer starts up and prints all the pages that I wanted it to print earlier.

I am not very good at networking, but i can usually figure stuff out by experimentation and google but this one has me stumped. Any help will be much appreciated.
    Viking

Re: Network/Printer issue.

seems the printing on startup may have something to do with "bidirectional" port setting. but at this point I just want it to print when I say to.
    Viking

Comment

Is the printer hooked up via a ethernet cable?

What you describe sounds like a issue with the printer's buffer/the printing spool. I'd probably take a quick look at the printing spool settings to see if it's set to print immediately (and not wait for the entire document to buffer).

To get to the printer spool settings (I'm doing this from Windows 7, so it may vary slightly from Vista):
      1. Start > Control Panel
      2. Devices Printers
      3. Right-click the printer and go to Properties
      4. Click the Advanced tab.

Here's what my printer spool settings looks like in Windows 7:

|TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My spooler setting are set the same. The printer is connected to the router by ethernet.
        Viking

Comment

All right, go to the printer manufacturer's website (Konica Minolta's website) and see if you can find your printer's network printer driver and download them. Unzip them if need be. The ones that normally come on the CD are only for printer-to-PC connections, not through a network. Once you find the drivers, re-run the wizard and point it to your newly downloaded drivers.

Then try printing the test page again. I've set up two network printers at home and haven't had any issues (one wireless and one wired). Both times I used the network driver I found on the manufacturer's website (you need to install the driver and run the wizard on each computer in the network).

From the sounds of it, it looks like the Vista generic driver just isn't working out too well.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I was using the driver off their website. It wasn't any error in my method of manually configuration, it was Vista UAC causing this issue the whole time. Turned that off and now it works fine.

thanks for the help anyway.
            Viking

Comment

Originally posted by DaViking View Post
              I was using the driver off their website. It wasn't any error in my method of manually configuration, it was Vista UAC causing this issue the whole time. Turned that off and now it works fine.

thanks for the help anyway.
              Well that's something for the books. UAC blocking a print over a network, go figure.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X