Google Chrome Question - Alternate Image Text

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome Question - Alternate Image Text

So I read www.rockpapershotgun.com regularly, and the writers have a habit of putting little jokes in the images, similar to XKCD (www.xkcd.com) or Dinosaur Comics (www.qwantz.com) so when you hover the mouse over the image a text box appears with something amusing in. I recently switched from IE8 to Chrome and noticed that RPS stopped doing the image-text thing. But they didn't, they just don't show up for me anymore. I can still see them on XKCD and Dinosaur Comics, but not on Rock Paper Shotgun. Does anyone know why this is, and if there is a way to fix this?

Example
    In the first image, it should make a comment about Thane being a lizard or an amphibian, but it doesn't show for me.
    Help would be appreciated, thanks! (Unless you suggest going back to IE in which case you might as well leave).
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Re: Google Chrome Question - Alternate Image Text

There shouldn't be a text when you hover over images. The "alt" property is only displayed when the image is broken or does not exist. Otherwise, there's no requirement in XHTML for that text to be displayed on hover. What IE does, however, is of their own volition. It's not standard. Also, the only other use for "alt" is for screen readers to read the text (which should be a good concise description of the image) -- used mainly by disabled/handicapped people.

As is, when I hover over the image in FF 3.6.3, I do not get a hovertext either which is to be expected.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Correct. IE displays the img tag's alt attribute as it should the title attribute. A fault of IE and RPS, not of Chrome.
      (IE displays alt as the title text. Yet another broken piece.)
      @Acreo, I believe they're intending for that alt text to appear as title text, I don't know if they realized what they were doing by putting it there.

I sent an email to them to let them know, hopefully they will fix it.
      EDIT: They replied; their response is that WordPress doesn't allow them to define the title attribute, and that they would have to do so manually. Can anyone more knowledgeable of WordPress care to confirm/deny this?
      Last edited by Celestial1; 05-20-2010, 10:05 PM.

Comment

last time i tried out wordpress (1 year ago) they didn't have a title field on the built-in page editor. Nor should it as the "title" attribute is depreciated and shouldn't be used anymore (since alt does the same thing -- as in display picture description when no picture).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ok, thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
          I was just confused as someone mentioned it in the comments thread and I thought "wait, what text?". I guess they are an IE user, thanks for clearing this up.
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            last time i tried out wordpress (1 year ago) they didn't have a title field on the built-in page editor. Nor should it as the "title" attribute is depreciated and shouldn't be used anymore (since alt does the same thing -- as in display picture description when no picture).
            The title attribute doesn't display any alternate text when the image is missing (In the 4 popular standards-based browsers, FF, GC, Opera, Safari). It only provides the additional tooltip. As far as I know, the attribute is not deprecated.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
              The title attribute doesn't display any alternate text when the image is missing (In the 4 popular standards-based browsers, FF, GC, Opera, Safari). It only provides the additional tooltip. As far as I know, the attribute is not deprecated.
              Just looked it up, seems it isn't. I'm sorry, thought I remember reading that the title attribute was being depreciated.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It's cool, no worries.

Comment

Firefox has an addon that displays the alt text on mouse hover. Actually, it has multiple addons with that functionality, but here's one to start you off
                  (and yes, I installed it specifically for the added amusement value on xkcd)

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                  --BlackMirror
                  <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                  Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                  --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                    (and yes, I installed it specifically for the added amusement value on xkcd)
                    xkcd uses the title attribute properly, you don't need an add-on for that (anymore, at least, if it wasn't that way before).
                    Though yes, that would work for you. Here are some I found for Chrome: 1 2

Comment

Well, if you want to complicate things...

You're right, the addon no longer works for xkcd, since Randall's switched to putting the jokes in the "title" tag. He used to put them in as alt text, however. Not entirely sure when he switched.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                      --BlackMirror
                      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                      Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                      --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
                        Here are some I found for Chrome: 1 2
                        Ah, thankyou very much! Just installed the second one and it works fine.

Again, thanks for the help everyone!
                        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X