Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Click of Death...Again. Need Advice on a New HDD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click of Death...Again. Need Advice on a New HDD!

So I bought this 1.5 TB Seagate hard drive exactly 29 days ago. Just now, it started to exhibit the great "click of death" and is severely slowing down my system (causing stretches of lag). I didn't want to believe Seagate's drive quality could have gone down the drains, but two drives in 6 months is not looking good.

So now, I'm looking at a new drive to replace it, and then I'll be hopefully refunding the Seagate.

My first pick is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136495
    My second pick: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136513

For the first one, it's a WD AV-GP drive supposedly "long-life" and built for media streaming. Does anyone know if it's worth the extra $20?

I'm so frustrated and pissed right now. :icon_mad:

I'm hoping to get some feedback today or tomorrow as I need to order the new drive soon so I don't go past the 30-day refund policy on the Seagate drive.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Click of Death...Again. Need Advice on a New HDD!

Well, I have a Caviar Black 1 TB and it has run awesomely since installation in January of last year. I also use a WD external drive. HDDs are finicky, good luck.

No idea if it is worth the $20.

Comment

Oh darn, I was going to recommend a seagate drive, and in fact I just picked up a 1TB seagate since I have never had an issue with them.

You should have a 3 or more year warranty on the seagate, even if you are past the 30 day return to vendor period. You have to pay post though as far as I know but that shouldn't be too much.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Hell for those prices you could get a 2Tb WD drive from a more upstanding merchant. And that's BEFORE rebates:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=10011997

Here's the 1.5 Tb drive for WAAAAAYYYY cheaper:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011913&ps=homain1

Screw Newegg. Once you know, you Newegg. Once you know Newegg, you buy from Zip Zoom Fly.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
          Oh darn, I was going to recommend a seagate drive, and in fact I just picked up a 1TB seagate since I have never had an issue with them.

You should have a 3 or more year warranty on the seagate, even if you are past the 30 day return to vendor period. You have to pay post though as far as I know but that shouldn't be too much.
          You might have gotten the new 7200.12 series drive then. Mines a 7200.11 series. I just can't return the drive as I have over 400 GBs (just over 110GBs of games from Steam) of data on it that I need to backup first.

Oooh, thanks for the link. Saves me searching time. Was going to search ZZF next to see if they had better deals.

Ah wait...ZZF uses FedEx?! :( That worries me as the ones here are not very reliable and doing crazy things with packages.
          Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 05-20-2010, 06:51 PM.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I haven't had a good experience with Seagate in quite a while. Never had a problem with WD, although both of those drives are pretty slow. They'd both probably be fine for storage.
            sigpic

Comment

I am now running 3 Samsung HD's. I have a 1 TB Spinpoint, and 2 x 2 TB drives. I guess it's been about a month so far. Quiet, fast, and reliable thus far. Oh yeah, and cheap!
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185 2 TB drive for $119, but 5400 rpm.
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152202 Could be only $69 after promo code.

Or check out this 7200rpm Hitatchi! 2 TB drive for $99! I personally have had great luck with Hitachi's in the past.
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...276-_-05202010
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Aren't Hitatchi Deskstar's the old IBM click-of-death DeathStars? Anyone remember the 75GXP?

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Originally posted by Damonte View Post
                  Aren't Hitatchi Deskstar's the old IBM click-of-death DeathStars? Anyone remember the 75GXP?
                  Indeed. When they had the bad reputation, a LONG time ago, I went ahead and took the gamble, because the performance and space was unbeatable for the price. It has lasted me around 8+ years thus far, and still going strong. I'd say they're a safe bet now, especially when compared to the bad luck that Acreo's had lately.
                  "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

No personal experience, since to date (knocking on wood here, believe me!) I haven't had a drive fail on me. But I did just come across another post in a different context where the owner of a pair of Seagate drives in a RAID setup had the drives fail, a few months after purchase. He's switching to WD.

Ah, for the days of Quantum drives...

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                    --BlackMirror
                    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                    --Blackraven93

Comment

For the record - I have a 750Gb Seagate and a 750 Gb WD in my rig now. Never had a problem with either. Usually it's my SSD that's giving me headaches

Acreo - don't buy from the evil egg just because of Fedex. Have it shipped to your work or a relative. Hell spend the extra $6 and get it from Buy.com. No need to give those bait and switchers your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                        Acreo - don't buy from the evil egg just because of Fedex. Have it shipped to your work or a relative. Hell spend the extra $6 and get it from Buy.com. No need to give those bait and switchers your money.
                        I have never had a problem with newegg. I order from there all the time.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I've been holding a personal boycott of them since last Black Friday. Long story short, I bought a laptop (went through checkout and everything), they canceled the order due to "lack of stock" then promised me the sale price on the laptop when it was back in stock. Except it never came back in stock - they just deactivated the item number! All they offered me was a $20 order "credit" which I would have to purchase something THEN email them to get the credit which from what I read online was next to impossible.

ZZF is my new best friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                            I've been holding a personal boycott of them since last Black Friday. Long story short, I bought a laptop (went through checkout and everything), they canceled the order due to "lack of stock" then promised me the sale price on the laptop when it was back in stock. Except it never came back in stock - they just deactivated the item number! All they offered me was a $20 order "credit" which I would have to purchase something THEN email them to get the credit which from what I read online was next to impossible.
                            With the exception of the "impossible" credit, it sounds entirely reasonable to me. Newegg has always had great customer service. They're my go-to electronics retailer now.
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Well I haven't had any problems with NewEgg and I've been a customer for over 7 years. No problems with ZZF or Buy.com either. I think I'm going to settle on the 1.5 TB WD15EARS drive with the $15 rebate. It would be good to get that rebate as NewEgg is imposing their usual 15% (I lose $15) restocking fee even though the Seagate drive is defective/to-be-dead.

I just don't know who to trust for storage anymore, seems everyone's ordering from the same few plants and all their consumer-grade drives seem to suffer from the same clicking and eventual death (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Hitachi, Toshiba, Exelstor, etc). Well hopefully I don't have to post back a month or so from now about problems with the WD that I'm ordering.

For those above who have no problems with their Seagates, WDs, etc, I assume you did not order them within the last 6-9 months? Because almost all the of clicking noise problem posts I see are from the past 6-9 months. Could be the recent drives are just that bad?

Now I really hope those high-density SSDs fall down dramatically in price. I think my next system will only use SSDs for storage and backup if these last two drives are any indications of the future of platter-based storage.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X