Google I/O conference - Introducing Google TV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google I/O conference - Introducing Google TV

Google is having it's big I/O conference and today they formally announced the long rumored Google TV as well as lots of info about Android 2.2 and future features. Got to say the updates in 2.2 really good great.

I actually had time to watch the live blog and let me just say it ranged from funny to cool to OH MY GOD THIS IS PAINFUL TO WATCH. The jabs they take at Apple are so awesome it almost makes me pissed that I bought an Iphone. And the talk at the end with bigwig CEOs was really pretty funny, especially the Sony guy.

The whole keynote was long, like an hour and a half or more. Engadget has a liveblog with a ton of pics:
    Live from the Google I/O 2010 day 2 keynote!

You can watch a recording of the show here:
    http://www.youtube.com/GoogleDevelop...292AD8CFFE1349

I have actually been holding off buying a TV because I wanted to see what this google TV was going to offer, and I'm pretty impressed. It is going to be awesome on a TV in the living room, letting you have some of the best a HTPC can offer and does so seamlessly. But let me just say the show above where they were supposed to show how awesome it could be ended up making me want to pull my teeth out just to make it end. Watch the video and you will see what I mean. They had horrible connection issues due to pretty much everyone in the building using phones with bluetooth and wifi.

That being said what they did show had me really looking forward to it. And the fact that they have major support from the big names like Sony, Intel, Adobe, BestBuy, Logitech, etc. has me thinking it isn't going to be vaporware. Also excited that this is going to be open, so you will be able to add apps just like to your phone. It's interaction with Android phones has me thinking of getting a new Droid or Evo. And I kind of cringed every time they mentioned advertising in the keynote, but then I started thinking about how nice it would be if I had ads for products that I would actually buy. I was thinking how stupid it is that I have to diaper commercials, both for kids and folks as old as Apophis ( :icon_razz :icon_razz :icon_razz :row__685:). Then they actually mention that exact thing in the keynote. I think I wouldn't mind sitting through the constant barrage of commercials during Lost if all the ads were for cars, video games, action movies, etc.

Got to admit some of the features sound pretty awesome, like voice recognition. Think about just having a remote near you and saying like CBS, and it changes to CBS channel. Or saying The Daily Show, and it searches for and finds The Daily Show, either through the internet or where it is showing on TV right then. I really wish I had this right now since Time Warner just did a huge revamp of their channels and I don't have a clue what some of my favs are, like the Military Channel.

If you want to check out some more info on it, see these:

What Is Google TV?

Google TV Combines TV and the Web

Google TV turns on at I/O: runs Android and Flash, partnered with Sony, Logitech, and Intel

Logitech's Google TV Box Will Have Special Powers

Sony Internet TV, DISH first with Google TV this fall; Adobe, Logitech and others along for the ride

Logitech's Google TV companion box includes smartphone apps, we go eyes-on (updated: video!) The video here is pretty awesome. Better than what was in the Keynote almost. But the crazy thing is the video is a slap in the face for the other partners. It is using a Samsung TV instead of a Sony, and it is on an Iphone instead of an Android phone. WTH???

I just want to know the price!!! And trying to decide if I should hold off buying a TV till Fall and picking up one with it built in. Though that would make it harder to upgrade hardware later.

Last edited by Bamboo; 05-20-2010, 05:40 PM.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Google I/O conference - Introducing Google TV

I watched most of the first keynote and watched the live stream on youtube of the second keynote today. Lots of funny moments but a bit unpolished with all the issues they were having.

2.2 is going to be great. I've been waiting for someone to to the cloud to device thing for a bit now, on top of JIT and flash. The only thing is that its going to take months to get it pushed out to phones unless some awesome dev works some magic beyond my understanding.

Google TV does look great but I'm a bit curious about DVR capabilities since it seems like the 'companion box' will basically just be in the place of a HTPC but running android with lots of good UI and google technology but no internal storage. With my current set up I have my HTPC running DVR duties through Windows media center (which by the way makes some massive file sizes on standard def TV, ~1GB for an hour show) but I don't see how that could work with the google TV. Hopefully we will get a much better idea of how things will work before its Fall release.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Along with Google TV, like I said Android 2.2 (Froyo) was also talked a lot about in the show, and Engadget just did a big write up all about it:

Android 2.2 Froyo: everything you ever wanted to know

I have to say, the whole keynote I was kind of frowning because I was comparing the features they were talking about to my Iphone, and I don't have any of them. I was actually pretty impressed with the wireless syncing across multiple devices, the wireless hotspot (stupid Iphone still doesn't have tethering like 3 years later!!), and of course the speed stuff. With my contract about to be up for renewal, I just don't think the 4g Iphone has much new to offer. I mean come on, how many people are going to do video calls? I can't even get good voice reception, so I can't imagine trying to shove video through.

Edit:
      Rutt Roo
      Looks like ATT is getting scared they are about to loose a lot of contracts:
      AT&T Jacking Up Early Termination Fees To $325

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Taste the sweet deliciousness of frozen yogurt!

Hopefully the rumors of the N1 and the Moto Droid will be true and we will see 2.2 pushed out in June, I can only hope for my Droid. The speed should be awesome with JIT a better browser and all the other goodies, I can't wait.

Comment

Apparently 2.2 its getting OTA'd right now to a few people on the N1, I'm impressed Google.

Endgadget

Comment

The big unknown for the Google TV are how much it will cost and how it will work with DVRs. Dishnet is charging $5/month for DVR capabilities and if you get a new receiver (how many $100s?) in the fall it will work with Google TV (which will cost another $100s).

So you are looking at a couple $100 initially plus monthly subscription costs. AFAIK no one has an idea how much that would be.

Comment

So this would basically be a replacement for your cable service correct? You simply subscribe to an internet connection with appropriate Google TV gear and it just works? They better not charge much for the service or it won't worth the big switch.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

From what I can tell you don't replace your TV service (mainly taken from the fact that they are working with Dish Network). Google TV, again from what I saw watching the keynote, is integrating the internet and traditional TV, making two separate services function as one. Its not as revolutionary as its seems but still a big step forward in my opinion.

Comment

Tons more love for Froyo"
                  Android 2.2 'Froyo' Review: It's Sweet

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Big update to this topic today.
                    Logitech held a major press event today to show off their plug and play option for Google TV. Pretty much a good performing little box and an awesome keyboard that lets you get google TV on your current TV. Remember there are TV makers like Sony that will be building Google TV directly into their sets. I think Sony has a big press event next week. The Logitech unit also can do HD video conferencing.

Engadget and a ton of other sites were at the event and has all the details.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/06/l...dest&refresh=0
                    and
                    http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/06/l...eyboard-box-i/
                    and
                    http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/06/l...ries-hands-on/

I am really liking that keyboard with the built in touch pad.

Also see:
                    http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6739_7-10005094.html
                    and
                    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20018763-1.html

I'm at work on break, but I'm sure sites like Gizmodo also has some good articles.
                    I'm going to really consider this when I get a new TV.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X