Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My potential build...

Hey guys,
    I'm building a computer for the first time. I have a somewhat generous budget of $1200 or so, and would like something that could shred games like BC2. After a little bit of research and shopping, here is what I came up with:

CPU: Intel i7-930 $290
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-225-_-Product

Motherboard: $130
    http://www.amazon.com/LGA1156-4DDR3-.../ref=de_a_smtd

Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 5850 $300
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-330-_-Product

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333 $110
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002MOQNI0

PSU: 650-W Corsair $90
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000X24ISU

Case: Antec 300 $50
    http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Three-Hu...pr_product_top

Hard Drive: 750GB $74
    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

Optical: $28
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002QGDWLK

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3260892&SID=

The total is about $1172. $1252 if you count the supporting membership I'd get once I've but this thing together. I think it should all work out, but I'd like to consult with people with more expertise here. Are there any compatibility issues I should be aware of? Do I have any one particular component that will hold the others back? Is there anywhere where I'm spending unnecessary money? And do I need to worry about extra cooling?

Thanks in advance for your input,
    Sleepy a.k.a UnSleepy

Re: My potential build...

It looks like you've picked some quality parts all the way around. What are your main goals/purpose for this new build? If you just want it for BC2, it's DEFINITELY gonna handle that at max settings without even breaking a sweat. You've selected a super sweet cpu for sure, but if you want it for mostly gaming, you can save a lot of money by going with AMD chip. Many of the latest tests have shown them actually only having negligible differences in the gaming arena. We're talking a 1 or 2 fps difference for a huge price difference. AMD's really more bang for the buck for gaming. I'm not dogging the i7, though. It's awesome. Personally, I'm running an AMD Phenom X4 965 Black Edition with an ATI Radeon HD 5830. It handles EVERYTHING I've thrown at it with max settings and gets crazy good framerates.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

The supporting membership is my favorite component!

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy8
        You have the wrong motherboard for the i7-930. The i7-9xx chips need a LGA 1366 socket, not a 1156 socket.

Here's one of several possible boards for the chip: MSI X58 LGA1366 Mobo - $170 NewEgg

Besides that, you're missing RAM. Here's a quick suggestion: GEIL 6 x 2GB DDR3 1333 Triple-Channel RAM - $150 NewEgg

Lastly, you need a aftermarket cooler to cool your new quad-core. The stock cooler is wholly ineffective once you start gaming or running the processor on load.

Some advice:

If you go with i7-9xx chips, you'll be paying a premium for the extra performance. Typically you'd spend more (roughly $150-$200) on motherboard and RAM compared to a i7-860 paired with a dual-channel DDR3 LGA 1156 motherboard.

Also, the 860 and the 930 are so similar, you're just handing money away by going with a 930. Furthermore, get the CPU from your local MicroCenter if you have a store nearby. You'll save roughly $80+.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I use the Zalman CNPS 9900 LED to cool my i7. Just make sure it will fit in the Antec 300; I know it fits in my Antec 900.

Comment

Xigamatek Dark Knight is supposed to cool just as good as the Zalman (if not better) for less. Again, you will have to check if it will fit. You will need a after market cooler if you plan on overclocking. The 930 is supposed to be very easy to get stable at 3.8-4.0GHz
            Viking

Comment

I'll second Warmonger's suggestion for the AMD CPU. I've got the 955 BE and a 4890, Crysis and ArmA 2 both run pretty well on it. I've never played BC2, but i'm fairly certain it's not as resource hungry as either of those.

If you stay with the Intel setup, Acreo was on the money. The 1366 needs triple channel RAM, and the 1156 uses dual. Going to the 1156 would save you enough for an SSD, upgraded monitor, or a case that might flow a little better.

Check out zipzoomfly.com, they have some good deals sometimes. It's only $11, but they have Win 7 Home Premium for $89 after MIR right now in the Fly By Deals section.

Comment

Like the others have mentioned, the CPU you chose is a Core i7 9xx model which uses the LGA1366 socket based motherboards. While i7 9xx CPU/platforms are great performers and are basically top of the line for Intel, they are not as good of a value as an Intel Core i5 750 or Intel Core i7 860 which both use the LGA1156 platform (like the motherboard you selected).

Unless you are dead set on eventually upgrading to a six core Intel CPU in the future, or if you really plan on using dual video cards in an SLI configuration, I would go with a Core i5 750. This CPU is widely considered the best performance/value processor in the market today. It goes for $200 on newegg.com ($180 at MicroCenter if you live near a store) and for all intents and purposes it gives you performance equivalent to the processor you originally selected. Also, it's compatible with the motherboard and RAM you chose.

Otherwise, everything else you selected looks great. Good luck with your build!
                "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Take a long hard look at this combo tonight.(it involves a PSU in a one day shell shocker deal) The price is unbeatable for what your getting. The PSU should be very solid and the case has better features than the 300 your looking at. Only issue is the design is a bit 'extreme' on top.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.398573

If the above is a no go check out the next two. The PSU you listed is cheaper at newegg thru Sunday with a code(See link)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005

Another good deal on an alternative PSU - deal good thru Monday

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371020

Buy this harddrive by Monday. Faster, larger capacity and cheaper(with code).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-NA-_-NA-_-NA

Damn good Motherboard - OS combo if you don't mind the lack of sata3/usb3.(warning: this assumes you end up going the 1156 route)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.395202

Don't forget to use bing.com for 2% cashback on all your newegg purchases.

(may post more later)
                  |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I'm a little late but stay away from Zalman. They are adequate as far as cooling goes but are really expensive. They look a lot nicer than the aforementioned Xigmatek Dark Knight but don't perform as well and cost more money. I would also go with Acreo's suggestion of using an I7-860 (in this case, keep the RAM listed in your original build rather than going for the triple channel kit Acreo suggested) and the motherboard/OS combo suggested by Mantis.

Alternatively, others have suggested that you go the AMD route. AMD's new 6 core CPUs still aren't as fast as the quad core i7 chips from Intel but an AMD platform will cost you less than one from Intel and will still rip any game out there to shreds.
                    sigpic

Comment

Combo: 5850 + better ram/dual channel + free avp2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.400326

And for kicks and giggles check the attachment

$1179.86
                      +9.99 shipping
                      - $20 code for F3
                      -------------
                      $1169.85
                      - $65 in rebates
                      - $23.40 from 2% bing cash back
                      --------------------
                      = 1081.45
                      Attached Files
                      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. 10 responses in 24 hours, every one of them helpful. I love this community.

Here are some of my newer thoughts:

For the CPU, I've looked at the AMD route, but in the research I've done the general consensus is that for budgets of over $1000 it is worth using Intel. This is certainly debatable, but at this point I'd rather not spend the time starting over with the motherboard selection and stuff to save $10 over the slightly improved i5. But I agree that, as most of you have said, the i7-930 is a bit overkill. I can't find a i7-860 for less than 279, though, which isn't much of a price cut, especially when I can get a 920 for $240 (although the 920 means $50 more for the motherboard). So unless I find the i7-860 cheaper somewhere, I'm at this point looking to take Voodoo's advice and go for the $195 i5-750, especially since I've read that it can match the 920 when OC'd. (I wasn't planning on overclocking the 920 or 930.)

Acreo, you're right about the RAM. I was looking at getting 6gb, but prices seemed to fluctuate too wildly. 6GB kits were over $200, which made little sense seeing as 4GB kits were barely over $100. Your suggestion is great, but I suppose I have to change to dual-channel since I'm downgrading my processor. Hopefully I can find a good deal somewhere; if not, I might as well buy my listed 4gb ram twice.

On a side note, does it matter if ram kits don't match exactly, provided they have the same frequency and compatibility and everything? I.e. if I find a compatible 1333 4gb kit and a 2gb kit for less than a single 6gb kit, but they're not from the same manufacturer, can I still use the combo?

Mantis, thanks for the deals on the PSU and the hard drive. I'm a bit late to jump on that shelf shocker one, but you've still saved me some money.

I'll start buying parts tomorrow (er, this, since its after midnight) afternoon to capitalize on weekend deals.

-Sleepy

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy8 View Post
                          Thanks for all the input guys. 10 responses in 24 hours, every one of them helpful. I love this community.

Here are some of my newer thoughts:

For the CPU, I've looked at the AMD route, but in the research I've done the general consensus is that for budgets of over $1000 it is worth using Intel. This is certainly debatable, but at this point I'd rather not spend the time starting over with the motherboard selection and stuff to save $10 over the slightly improved i5. But I agree that, as most of you have said, the i7-930 is a bit overkill. I can't find a i7-860 for less than 279, though, which isn't much of a price cut, especially when I can get a 920 for $240 (although the 920 means $50 more for the motherboard). So unless I find the i7-860 cheaper somewhere, I'm at this point looking to take Voodoo's advice and go for the $195 i5-750, especially since I've read that it can match the 920 when OC'd. (I wasn't planning on overclocking the 920 or 930.)
                          The only benefit you get from buying a 930 over an 860 is the ability to use triple channel RAM. The memory kit you selected is dual channel so you'd essentially be gaining no advantage by going with the 930. Also, the 930 will not fit on the motherboard you listed. The 860 or the Core i5 will. As far as going with an AMD CPU goes, if you're building this machine for gaming, you will get very similar performance from AMD or Intel. If you're definitely going to get an 17, I'd go with Intel for sure. If you're considering an i5, I'd look into one of AMD's new 6 core CPUs.

Acreo, you're right about the RAM. I was looking at getting 6gb, but prices seemed to fluctuate too wildly. 6GB kits were over $200, which made little sense seeing as 4GB kits were barely over $100. Your suggestion is great, but I suppose I have to change to dual-channel since I'm downgrading my processor. Hopefully I can find a good deal somewhere; if not, I might as well buy my listed 4gb ram twice.

On a side note, does it matter if ram kits don't match exactly, provided they have the same frequency and compatibility and everything? I.e. if I find a compatible 1333 4gb kit and a 2gb kit for less than a single 6gb kit, but they're not from the same manufacturer, can I still use the combo?
                          If you get the 930 (and a 1336 motherboard to fit it), I would definitely get the triple channel. If you get the 860, go for the dual channel. Do not stuff the slots full with 4-6 modules of RAM. Do not mix different sizes of RAM modules just to get to some magic 6GB number. You generally wind up having to run at lower timings when you do that and the advantage of those 6GB kits on the 1336 platform is the fact that the 930 can run in triple channel while the 1156 stuff runs in duel channel. Do not mix and match different kinds of RAM if you're planning on running dual/triple channel. It might work but you're better off being safe and using matching stuff.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy8 View Post
                            I can't find a i7-860 for less than 279...
                            Like I said in my post above, if you live near a Micro Center, you can buy the i7-860 for $200. That's $80+ savings after tax.

For cooling, I recommend the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. If you don't plan on more than a moderate overclock on your CPU, it's a great budget cooler that gets the job done without you needing to spend $50.

The above link is the cheapest you'll find the cooler for: $20.99 + $8.54 shipping. If you order today, you can use the coupon code RACE2105 to save $5 off.

I have two of them. One is cooling my Core 2 Quad Q9550 overclocked to 3.4 GHz and the other is cooling my brother's brand new Core i7-860 (stock settings with Turbo mode enabled). Idle temps hover around 34-38 C while load hits around 45-55 C.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X