Hardware Upgrade Plan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Upgrade Plan

Ive been upgrading my system one piece at a time for awhile now, but its getting to the point where all the pieces are so inter-dependant that I need to do a mass upgrade. None of the new technology works with my old motherboard, and most of my old technology probably won't work on a new motherboard.

Here's what I'm looking at right now:

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157176 ($60)

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103809 ($140)

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231193 ($110)

I don't know anything about motherboards, so I don't know if I'm missing anything important by going for the cheap option there. It looks like it should be compatible with those other 2 things I'm getting. That leaves me an open pair of RAM sockets for later expansion to 8 GB, but 4 should be enough for now.

Here's the pre-existing stuff I'll be saving:

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4350
    PSU 400 watt
    HD and DVD drive

Is all this going to go together properly? Is there anything I need that I'm forgetting? Thanks, TG!

Re: Hardware Upgrade Plan

I would wait until Friday morning(Thursday late) and at about 12:15 est www.frys.com posts some really good deals on cpu/mb combos. I picked up a nice Gigabyte and an AMD 955 for $170. The next week I picked up another $140 Gibabyte mb with the AMD 6core 1055T for $270 and they are awesome.

Comment

The parts you listed all mesh together just fine.

ASRock is pretty dependable. As far as I know it used to be (and might still be) a subsidary/division of ASUS. Basically the brand name was created by ASUS to launch budget oriented feature-rich boards and to test out feature sets before unleashing them on ASUS branded boards. I find most of the ASRock budget boards retain some OC ability that other budget brand boards toss out the window.

Edit: Did a quick fact check. It is still owned by ASUS and the boards come out of the same plants that produce ASUS boards. So essentially a more affordable rebranded ASUS board with new feature sets.

Hell, the ASRock board I used in my brother's build has features I wish were available in sub-$100 ASUS boards (like eSATA power connectors on the back I/O panel).

Any thoughts on investing in an aftermarket cooler? Or are you going to stick with the stock cooler?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Are your old HD and dvd drive SATA?
        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
          The board does have a PATA connection if they are not SATA, but I would recommend an upgrade to a SATA hard drive and using the old for storage if it is still PATA.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

You MIGHT run into problems with the old PSU if it is an off brand. Otherwise, it looks like you're giving yourself a lot of room to upgrade in the future.
            sigpic

Comment

Personally, I'd want more than just 4 SATA ports on the board. Heck, my computer's pretty new and I'm already using 6 of the 8 ports on mine. Other than that, it actually looks like a heck of a good value for a mobo!
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                ASRock is pretty dependable.
                Any thoughts on investing in an aftermarket cooler? Or are you going to stick with the stock cooler?
                Thanks for the positive brand review! I shouldn't need an aftermarket cooler as long as I don't plan on overclocking, should I? I'm already upgrading from a 3.0 Ghz single-core to a 3.0 Ghz quad-core, so overclocking is the last thing on my mind at the moment.

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                I...think so, but I'll have to double check to be sure. Thanks for the heads up, forgot about SATA/PATA entirely.

The machine is originally from 2005, but only a handful of pieces are still original by this point, and most of those are included in today's upgrade. The HD and DVD drive are both relatively recent additions so they're probably up to standard. Still got the original CD drive, so that might be PATA. Besides that the only pieces that will still be from 2005 will be the case and the ethernet card.

Comment

The Phenoms come with a pretty decent stock cooler. It should be adequate as long as you aren't overclocking much. The cooler is a two heatpipe design which they've been using since the Socket 939 Opterons. The one on my fiance's Opteron 175 (that was overclocked to 2.8 GhZ when it was in my machine) has held up very well.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                    Thanks for the positive brand review! I shouldn't need an aftermarket cooler as long as I don't plan on overclocking, should I? I'm already upgrading from a 3.0 Ghz single-core to a 3.0 Ghz quad-core, so overclocking is the last thing on my mind at the moment.
                    I don't overclock and all 5 AMD CPUs I've purchased since 2001 have run extremely cool with stock coolers in a standard 75 degree household as long as the case has decent airflow. If you read the paperwork that comes with it I will bet it even has a note that says that using anything other than the stock cooler will void your warranty like my Athalon II did :)

Your video card is PCIe and not AGP right?
                    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                      The Phenoms come with a pretty decent stock cooler. It should be adequate as long as you aren't overclocking much. The cooler is a two heatpipe design which they've been using since the Socket 939 Opterons. The one on my fiance's Opteron 175 (that was overclocked to 2.8 GhZ when it was in my machine) has held up very well.
                      According to some, the stock cooler for the Phenom's seem to be pretty darn good. I've read on some posts idle temps at around 28-32 C which is a heck of a lot lower than my Q9550 with Freezer 7 Pro cooler on it with max fan speed (2200+ rpm).
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        According to some, the stock cooler for the Phenom's seem to be pretty darn good. I've read on some posts idle temps at around 28-32 C which is a heck of a lot lower than my Q9550 with Freezer 7 Pro cooler on it with max fan speed (2200+ rpm).
                        True. I've been quite impressed with the stock cooler. However, it comes with an adhesive heat pad already on it. It was textured, and I figured didn't have great heat transfer properties. So I scraped that thing clean off, and following the instructions from their website, applied some Arctic Silver 5. Apparently it gets a bit better over time. From the first time I turned the computer on to now, I've seen about a 4 degree cpu temperature drop. Totally worth the few bucks this stuff costs.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
                        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                          True. I've been quite impressed with the stock cooler. However, it comes with an adhesive heat pad already on it. It was textured, and I figured didn't have great heat transfer properties. So I scraped that thing clean off, and following the instructions from their website, applied some Arctic Silver 5. Apparently it gets a bit better over time. From the first time I turned the computer on to now, I've seen about a 4 degree cpu temperature drop. Totally worth the few bucks this stuff costs.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
                          AS5 is pretty standard fair nowadays. If you can afford it there's some marginally better TIMs out there (like ceramic based paste: MX-2 from Arctic Cooling is a good example, Antec Reference, etc). I say marginally since at most you'll see a 1-2 C difference. The most I ever saw between my Antec Reference and my AS5 on my old E8400 was 1 C (as the Antec Reference ceramic paste lowered my temps by 1 degree).

The Arctic Cooling Freezer coolers all have MX-2 ceramic paste pre-applied. So no need to scrape off that pricey TIM just to reapply some AS5. Both Intel and AMD used to use TIM pads which were pure crap as it helped to insulate rather than conduct the heat. Current stuff on Intel's sinks doesn't seem to be much better than the old TIM pads.

TIM = Thermal Interface Material aka thermal paste
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                            True. I've been quite impressed with the stock cooler. However, it comes with an adhesive heat pad already on it. It was textured, and I figured didn't have great heat transfer properties.
                            If you are referring to the small bumpy texture on the stuff that looks like putty that is not an indication that it doesn't have heat transfer properties. The pressure from seating the heat sink will spread the stuff out to a much thinner form anyway.
                            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Update:
                              Confirmed HDD and DVD are both SATA, and the legacy CD drive was PATA. I may leave that part out when installing just so I don't have to mess with as many cords -- its not like I need an extra CD drive anyway.

Fry's doesn't stock ASRock line products at all, and the other motherboards they have don't compare to the deal I'm getting on the one I linked, so I'm sticking with Newegg.

I think the primary weakness of this motherboard is that it only has one PCIe port and so it won't be able to support SLI-type configurations. But that's a feature I'm willing to give up for the deal, so I ordered the package last night. Should be installing this weekend probably. I've never installed a processor before, so wish me luck. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X