The Fastest Gaming Processors for Any Budget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fastest Gaming Processors for Any Budget

I thought this was quite interesting, some of the cheapest CPU's almost shape up to my 6 month old CPU.

Gizmodo CPU Review

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Re: The Fastest Gaming Processors for Any Budget

Originally posted by Extinct View Post
    I thought this was quite interesting, some of the cheapest CPU's almost shape up to my 6 month old CPU.

Gizmodo CPU Review
    Meh, I'm not liking how Gizmodo tends to go and copy stuff from other tech sites (in this case Tom's Hardware) and subtly attempt to pass it off as their own (small gray link to Tom's main site at the very bottom but not mentioning once it's not their article).

Other than that, I've been reading THG's series of best CPUs for your money guides (monthly or so). The last few point at the Athlon II X3s as probably being the best midrange gaming CPUs on the market. They provide a bit more oomph than a dual-core, but isn't as expensive for budget-minded gamers as quad-cores are. At the same time, they offer pretty good middle of the road performance.

Another interesting article over at THG: Do Gamers Need More Than a Athlon X3?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Here's a look at how my Intel Core i7-920 runs during BF:BC2

As you can see, more than two cores are being used as well as the bonus hyperthreading cores. Note by the graph that the levels vary even higher during the game, but dropped a bit when I switched to desktop to take a pic of the CPU usage gadget. RAM is just over 2.5GB out of the 6GB (Tri-Channe @ 1600MHz 7-7-7-16-1T timings) in my system.

Ripping a DVD via DVDfab and running BC2:

Both scenarios have BC2 running smooth and without the game laggy or crashing. My GPU is an EVGA GTX 275. All cores working a bit more, but not maxed out. Still only 2.5GB RAM being used. The article reviews the i7-930, which is the same as my 920, but 2.8GHZ vs 2.66GHz stock clock speed. Mine is overclocked way above that (3.7GHz) so the stocks speeds are not a factor. I paid $199 for the CPU last year, not $295 as the article lists. Fortunately I bought 6GB of 1600GHz RAM for $115 before the price of memory shot up. Now the same kit is over $250 :icon24:.

I just bought a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (six core), and will put up some stats on it's performance later after I build it next weekend.
      Last edited by Zippy; 05-29-2010, 06:24 AM. Reason: Fix Pic to link

:icon_frow
      |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
      sigpic

Comment

Your second pic isn't working Zippy. Seems it's stuck in thumbnail mode. :(

I can't speak for how BC2 wrangles my CPU cores, but loading times is about 3 seconds now with 10.5 Catalyst and my CPU OC'd to 3.4 GHz (from stock 2.83 GHz). I'm guessing it fairs about the same as Zippy's quad-core + HT.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          Your second pic isn't working Zippy. Seems it's stuck in thumbnail mode.
          Fixed. It will now expand when clicked on.

I can't speak for how BC2 wrangles my CPU cores, but loading times is about 3 seconds now with 10.5 Catalyst and my CPU OC'd to 3.4 GHz (from stock 2.83 GHz). I'm guessing it fairs about the same as Zippy's quad-core + HT.
          It would be interesting to see your CPU load as well - with BC2 running. Can you bump your's up to 3.7GHz to be even with my O.C.?

I posted the data to show that more then two cores do indeed get used with new games and or ripping apps. Not stating better or worse, just stating the data.

As far as map load times, my squadmate Bear61 has almost the exact PC hardware as I do, except for the hard drives. My 300GB VelociRaptor loads maps almost instantly, whereas his two 250GB Raid0 drives took a while to load the maps. We both have Nvidia GTX 275's, so GPU's were not a factor. He just installed two new SSD drives in Raid0 and his maps now load instantly! Point, hard drives can also contribute to faster/slower map load times.

My AMD X6 build will be using a SATA III motherboard with a WD 640GB Black SATA III HDD. So it will be interesting to see how the performance fairs using the SATA 6GB/s technology.

:icon_frow
          |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy-2-War View Post
            It would be interesting to see your CPU load as well - with BC2 running. Can you bump your's up to 3.7GHz to be even with my O.C.?
            I'm not confident it'll be stable past 3.6 GHz. Right now at 3.4 on full load (CPU), my temps already hit 55 C. It seems the throttling temp for my Q9550 is somewhere around 60-65, so I don't want to approach that temp is possible. I'm not experienced at OCing and since this is my first. From the advice over at OCN, I can hit 3.6, but beyond that it'll probably involve upping my core voltage. In which I'm going to ask for more specific advice before attempting to go past 3.6 GHz.

Anyways, this article benchmark set should give you guys a rough idea of how my Q9550 performs compared to a i7-860 clock-for-clock at 4.0 GHz: Core i7-860 4 GHz vs Q9550 4 GHz in 43 Benchmarks.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Intel's Core i7-875K and i5-655K processors

Comment

Nice to see my Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition in there. Too bad I could not get the 4th core to unlock. Either way still a fast cpu.

Comment

The 655K isn't worth it at $200. Plenty of other dual, tri, and quad-cores out there to choose from at or below that price.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The 655K isn't worth it at $200. Plenty of other dual, tri, and quad-cores out there to choose from at or below that price.
                    The point is the multipliers are now unlocked just like the AMD varieties. Add to that the already superior memory bus throughput and they become performance/price competitive with their AMD counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                      The point is the multipliers are now unlocked just like the AMD varieties. Add to that the already superior memory bus throughput and they become performance/price competitive with their AMD counterparts.
                      You have a point with the unlocked multiplier, but the 655K is not the ideal chip at that price point for every gamer or non-gamer. Unfortunately, it's still like paying for a EE edition of a dual-core seeing how there are cheaper chips with similar performance just down the line.

(No offense to you Draeh, but way too much Intel fanboyism after Intel took back the performance crown with the Core 2 lineup. Some are just plain ignoring and pushing aside AMD's chips just to pay a premium for a Intel part for what amounts to 10% performance increase.)
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

(No offense to you Draeh, but way too much Intel fanboyism after Intel took back the performance crown with the Core 2 lineup. Some are just plain ignoring and pushing aside AMD's chips just to pay a premium for a Intel part for what amounts to 10% performance increase.)
                        No offense taken. Everyone has their preference. And that 10% increase only depends on what your doing. In some applications its more... much more. Nowadays I look more for improved IO/memory performance more than raw processor speed.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X