Any XM Radio users?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any XM Radio users?

We are getting a new car for my wife this weekend, and it comes with 6 months of free XM Radio. I've played with XM on a few buddies cars and some rental cars, but is anyone else here a subscriber? Any pluses or minuses you have had with the service? Really good channels?

I did see they they have a free trial running right now where you can listen to XM online on your computer until June 6th (though when I filled out the form it says June 11th?). So I'm going to give that a try, but was wondering what other users here had to say.

Promo deal info here:
    Get XM Radio Free

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Any XM Radio users?

I am a Sirius/XM subscriber. It came with my new car for free and I just resubscribed. I listen to allot of stations. 80s, 90s, all the rock, some hip/hop, classical, and most of the news channels.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I have it at work, and its ok, but the rock channels get a lot of repeat. The pop channels are horridly repetitive. In my car I listen to BPM (playing a lot of Kaskade lately) or Area most of the time and its decent. I don't pay for either sub though. At my current income level I couldn't justify the expense. Audio quality is good on most channels, but BBC1 surprisingly sounds like a low bitrate internet feed.

If you have very eclectic tastes, chances are there will be enough variety to suite the expense, if you like only a couple genres though it might be better to buy a CD or two every month instead. If you like talk radio or classical, then that alone might be worth the expense.

Comment

I've been a subscriber for years now. I LOVE my XM. If your car has a built in nav system, it's totally worth the extra couple bucks a month for the XM Nav-Traffic service. It tells me road conditions, traffic speeds, congestion details, and will route you around stuff. I love it.

The music stations here in San Antonio blow chunks and are unbelievably repetitive, so XM is totally worth the money to me. I've discovered so much random music on it! BTW, if you know someone with a subscription just sign up for the family plan and get on theirs. Saves a couple bucks a month.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I've been subscribing to XM for 4 years. If they wouldn't keep offering me ridiculously low renewal rates when I tell them I'm not going to renew I would have dropped them already. Every single time I hear a commercial on a supposedly commercial free station it annoys the hell out of me.
          Twisted Firestarter
          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
          sigpic

Comment

Have had XM for five years now. The quality of the music stations went sharply downhill following the merger. The only thing that's keeping me subscribed at this point is BBC. Also, whatever you do, don't get the SkyFi 3 set.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
            --BlackMirror
            <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
            Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
            --Blackraven93

Comment

Up until a year ago, I used to have two XM radios - one for the car and one for the house. Both my wife and I had our favorite channels. It sure made my daily commute a lot more exciting. We stopped subscription because we moved abroad. Now that we're back and have a car again, I've just signed up for Sirius again. Personally, I really like XMU. My wife's into the Coffe shop station.

If you like to listen to music on the radio, you'll love satellite radio. Satellite is to radio what cable is to TV. There are bound to be stations that you'll enjoy.

I cannot really comment on talk radio as it has commercials which I cannot stand. Channels like CNN sound like CNN on TV (it may be exactly that - I don't know) - I really cannot listen to them for long.

Comment

I'll subscribe to satellite radio as soon as they have a digital audio recorder that fills the same functionality for radio that my DVR at home does for my television watching habits. I can't stand 90% of the talk radio stuff out there, but there are a few that I do like but that just aren't aired during my commute. If I had them on tap whenever I wanted, I'd be willing to pay for that.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

There is a little MP3 player like thing that XM sells that can record up to 100 hours, and you can get docks for it.
                  http://shop.xmradio.com/xm/ctl10600/...t__ships_by_62

Comment

Programing is good if you can get past the horrendous bitrate. I can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta Five Nine View Post
                      There is a little MP3 player like thing that XM sells that can record up to 100 hours, and you can get docks for it.
                      http://shop.xmradio.com/xm/ctl10600/...t__ships_by_62
                      Yeah, one of the guys at Crutchfield tried to tell me that that thing does exactly what I want, but all it does is record when you push a button. I want a scheduler that will do things automatically. I want to be able to tell it that I want the most recent three hours of the Kim Kommando show available at all times. I want to be able to tell it that I want all new broadcasts of the Art Bell show. I want it to record every Texas Rangers game for me.
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                        Yeah, one of the guys at Crutchfield tried to tell me that that thing does exactly what I want, but all it does is record when you push a button. I want a scheduler that will do things automatically. I want to be able to tell it that I want the most recent three hours of the Kim Kommando show available at all times. I want to be able to tell it that I want all new broadcasts of the Art Bell show. I want it to record every Texas Rangers game for me.
                        Recorded XM

* More ways than ever to record up to 100 hours of your favorite XM programs.
                        * Record up to 5 channels at the same time.
                        * One-Touch Recording of up to 10 hours of individual songs.
                        * Schedule Recordings of up to 75 hours of your favorite XM programs.
                        * Automatic Recording of your favorite XM channels.
                        ?

Comment

Originally posted by Delta Five Nine View Post
                          ?
                          Yeah, the Crutchfield guy said it was like you used to have to program your VCR: You set a certain time and duration, and it will switch channels and record it for you. But this is 2010, not 1985. I want a decent UI.

Maybe there's just not a market?
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

A market, but probably not enough density to make a unit you could afford to buy after the costs invovled. But if for some reason it was cheap enough to implement on a mfg aspect, I bet they would see improved subs if they simply gave most of the radios the capability. I would love it thats for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
                              A market, but probably not enough density to make a unit you could afford to buy after the costs invovled. But if for some reason it was cheap enough to implement on a mfg aspect, I bet they would see improved subs if they simply gave most of the radios the capability. I would love it thats for sure.
                              I dunno, man, 16 gigs of flash memory is cheap and would hold more audio than most people would care to record. I suppose writing the software (both client and server) would be the hard part.
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X